Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2017, 08:08 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Yes, but I don't think that attitude is helpful to a newcomers cause.
I'd say that giving them the exact same voice in government as people who were born here is probably the best thing that we can offer them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 08:17 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I'd say that giving them the exact same voice in government as people who were born here is probably the best thing that we can offer them.
Absolutely. Is anyone saying otherwise? We already see this so I don't know what the issue is. I don't think we should give any group special consideration either.

Old 02-27-2017, 10:33 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,726,194 times
Default ........

Hi
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Is any part of Canada promoting that?

I agree. That is why I think integration is so important. Having said that, there is a reason why people move here.

Do you think telling some one "its not your government, it is their government" is respectful or helpful in these conversations?
..... I meant to type it is their government too. Ex we are equal under the law.

Re is any part of Canada promoting that ....I hope not ... but I am seeing more and more that Toronto is pretty different then other parts of the country. So ways of thinking could be different..... because experiences are different.

Last edited by klmrocks; 02-27-2017 at 11:33 PM..

Old 02-27-2017, 11:22 PM

3,624 posts, read 3,411,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Re is any part of Canada promoting that ....I hope not ... but I am seeing more and more that Toronto is pretty different then other parts of the country. So ways of thinking coukd be different..... because experience are different.
I would suggest that Toronto is leading the way, but other big cities (Vancouver, Montreal, Calgary) are not far behind, followed by smaller cities and towns. Oh, there may be slight differences in the ethnic makeup (I never met a Haitian in Vancouver, but I've met plenty in Montreal), but based on what I've seen across this country, most Canadians are on board.

Things you never expect to see in places other than big cities do stand out, however. I checked out of a motel in Wawa, Ontario once, where the proprietor came out of the back in Hindu prayer robes. The predominantly-Mormon town of Raymond, Alberta has a Buddhist temple. Some of the best Indian curries I've ever eaten were at a place run by Indians (from India) in Lethbridge, Alberta. And so on.

Yet still, the Hindus in Wawa, the Buddhists in Raymond, and the Indians in Lethbridge obviously don't feel marginalized or excluded from the communities that they are a part of. Rather, they are becoming part of the community (integration), while still maintaining their culture and heritage (multiculturalism). There may be fewer immigrant minorities in these communities than in Toronto, but they're still there; and they seem comfortable to stay where they are. They're not so uncomfortable or feeling so unwelcome that they are rushing off to Toronto, Vancouver, or Montreal, in other words.

Old 02-27-2017, 11:35 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,726,194 times
Default ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
I would suggest that Toronto is leading the way, but other big cities (Vancouver, Montreal, Calgary) are not far behind, followed by smaller cities and towns. Oh, there may be slight differences in the ethnic makeup (I never met a Haitian in Vancouver, but I've met plenty in Montreal), but based on what I've seen across this country, most Canadians are on board.

Things you never expect to see in places other than big cities do stand out, however. I checked out of a motel in Wawa, Ontario once, where the proprietor came out of the back in Hindu prayer robes. The predominantly-Mormon town of Raymond, Alberta has a Buddhist temple. Some of the best Indian curries I've ever eaten were at a place run by Indians (from India) in Lethbridge, Alberta. And so on.

Yet still, the Hindus in Wawa, the Buddhists in Raymond, and the Indians in Lethbridge obviously don't feel marginalized or excluded from the communities that they are a part of. Rather, they are becoming part of the community (integration), while still maintaining their culture and heritage (multiculturalism). There may be fewer immigrant minorities in these communities than in Toronto, but they're still there; and they seem comfortable to stay where they are. They're not so uncomfortable or feeling so unwelcome that they are rushing off to Toronto, Vancouver, or Montreal, in other words.
Well I have not lived in many different places in Canada so I did not want to assume.

Old 02-28-2017, 12:49 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,411,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Well I have not lived in many different places in Canada so I did not want to assume.
No, of course not, and glad that you didn't. Too often, IME, Torontonians hold themselves up as paragons of multiculturalism, while doubting that the ROC does the same. I'd suggest that such Torontonians are wrong (note that I am originally from Toronto, lived there for over 40 years, and in spite of that, freely admit that Torontonians are not infallible), and the point of my post is that I've met people in Canadian cities and towns that Torontonians simply wouldn't believe are there. Doesn't everybody, immigrants included, want to move to Toronto?

Well, no. Many are happy where they end up in Canada. They contribute, they put down roots; they are our friends and neighbours, in spite of the fact that they are not in Toronto.

I've often told my old Toronto friends to eschew the trips to Florida or the Caribbean or Europe or Australia, and explore Canada. Get to know the people in the various regions, even tangentially--I had a great conversation with a Newfoundlander while waiting for a ferry in Port aux Basques--and it put a whole new perspective on my view of Newfoundland joining Confederation. Sadly, most of my Toronto friends and acquaintances seem to prefer Florida or the Caribbean or Europe or Australia; while trumpeting how multicultural Toronto is, and at the same time, decrying the ROC's intolerance. Thing is, they're too busy going to Florida etc. to have ever been to the ROC. So IMHO, they are speaking from ignorance.

I'd like to hear from other Canadians as to how their experiences in their hometowns or travelling through Canada compare. Can we tell Torontonians that what many of them believe about immigrants in the ROC is BS, and that they cannot speak from knowledge until they actually get out and explore Canada, and meet people, and talk with them?

Old 02-28-2017, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
No, of course not, and glad that you didn't. Too often, IME, Torontonians hold themselves up as paragons of multiculturalism, while doubting that the ROC does the same. I'd suggest that such Torontonians are wrong (note that I am originally from Toronto, lived there for over 40 years, and in spite of that, freely admit that Torontonians are not infallible), and the point of my post is that I've met people in Canadian cities and towns that Torontonians simply wouldn't believe are there. Doesn't everybody, immigrants included, want to move to Toronto?

Well, no. Many are happy where they end up in Canada. They contribute, they put down roots; they are our friends and neighbours, in spite of the fact that they are not in Toronto.

I've often told my old Toronto friends to eschew the trips to Florida or the Caribbean or Europe or Australia, and explore Canada. Get to know the people in the various regions, even tangentially--I had a great conversation with a Newfoundlander while waiting for a ferry in Port aux Basques--and it put a whole new perspective on my view of Newfoundland joining Confederation. Sadly, most of my Toronto friends and acquaintances seem to prefer Florida or the Caribbean or Europe or Australia; while trumpeting how multicultural Toronto is, and at the same time, decrying the ROC's intolerance. Thing is, they're too busy going to Florida etc. to have ever been to the ROC. So IMHO, they are speaking from ignorance.

I'd like to hear from other Canadians as to how their experiences in their hometowns or travelling through Canada compare. Can we tell Torontonians that what many of them believe about immigrants in the ROC is BS, and that they cannot speak from knowledge until they actually get out and explore Canada, and meet people, and talk with them?
My street here in Gatineau is more diverse than the streets that some of my cousins live on in the Ajax-Pickering-Whitby area.

Old 02-28-2017, 05:51 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times
Having lived in several places in this country. I can't say I find Torontonians and more accepting or enlightened when it comes to immigrants than other places in Canada. Being the the biggest city, naturally more people will the go there for job opportunities, that doesn't mean other places are not diverse or as tolerant. On the flip side of that, Toronto also has some of the most religiously conservative and 'stick to your own" immigrants (often very racist) I have met any where in North America.

Toronto is not immune to problems we see elsewhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEi4R1z-4mI

Old 02-28-2017, 06:50 AM

That's why the best advice is always to spend less time finger-pointing at others and more time trying to improve the place you live.

Old 02-28-2017, 07:37 AM

7,680 posts, read 5,529,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broscoe View Post
Multiculturalism : Retain the different culture you originally had and pass it down to your children.

Integration : Feel a sense of belonging with Canada, respect its society and contribute to it.
So, do you feel no French Canadians have a sense of belonging to Canada, no respect for it and don't contribute?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada