Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 10:28 AM

9,471 posts, read 10,808,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
I'm actually surprised to see Canada has sandy beaches. But how useful are those considering the country is frozen like 10 months per year. The same is true for Michigan so really not much need for this 'who has the best beaches' contest.
Yes Michigan and Ontario are cold climates but they do get about 3 months of warm summer weather. Calling it frozen for 10 months is definitely an exaggeration, frozen weather last from November thru early April in that part of the world.I am middle age and find the lakes a bit cool for swimming but a lot of people do go in them. I also live in the southern US so I am likely more sensitive to the cold water than someone who lives there would be. Whether or not you swim those beaches in Michigan and Ontario are beautiful and many people enjoy them in different ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 10:41 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
For what it's worth, water temperatures at lake beaches in southern Ontario and southern Quebec generally range from 20-25, so the low to upper 70s in F. Maybe into the 80s F during a warm spell.

Old 06-23-2017, 10:51 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,229,126 times
Quote:
I'm actually surprised to see Canada has sandy beaches. But how useful are those considering the country is frozen like 10 months per year. The same is true for Michigan so really not much need for this 'who has the best beaches' contest.
Are even serious right now? Frozen for ten months of the year? Those beaches are only a couple of hours north of me, and our average high temperature for the month of July is 29C, more than hot enough for the beach! Our record high temp ever recorded is also a pretty high 40.2c! And, we are at the same latitude as Rome Italy!
Summer here is very warm to very hot and humid, with dew point reaching into the low 20s an a regular basis!

Here are some climate stats for my city

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind...ntario#Climate

Old 06-23-2017, 11:41 AM

5,898 posts, read 6,104,862 times
Quote:
Southern Ontario is not too bad. Smaller lakes there are swimmable from June to September. Even Lake Erie is >20C for about 3-3.5 month a year. Elsewhere in Canada is a bit trickier, I went swimming in a river in Northern Ontario a few weeks ago and that was nice (approx 20C water, 25C air temp) but Lake Superior is a whole different story, it was still only 4C at that time (and still only 10C now).

The other good thing about Southern Ontario if you have a flexible schedule is that although the average temperature isn't that high for many months, there's still a fair bit of variation compared to many parts of Europe that have a strong moderating effect. If you're not looking to swim and just want to hang out on the beach, there will be a few good days per month for that even in April and October, sometimes even March and November if you're lucky, although so close to winter you should pick a smaller lake because the bigger ones will have a moderating effect.

Old 06-23-2017, 01:48 PM

84 posts, read 303,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
Are even serious right now? Frozen for ten months of the year? Those beaches are only a couple of hours north of me, and our average high temperature for the month of July is 29C, more than hot enough for the beach! Our record high temp ever recorded is also a pretty high 40.2c! And, we are at the same latitude as Rome Italy!
Summer here is very warm to very hot and humid, with dew point reaching into the low 20s an a regular basis!

Here are some climate stats for my city

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind...ntario#Climate

The ironic thing about all of this is that this "frozen area" drro refers to is actually located much farther south than anywhere in his home country of Germany. Funny to see the ignorance and stereotypes that people have about Canada.

Old 06-23-2017, 01:54 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,343,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty870 View Post
The ironic thing about all of this is that this "frozen area" drro refers to is actually located much farther south than anywhere in his home country of Germany. Funny to see the ignorance and stereotypes that people have about Canada.
You can only comfortably swim in Lake Huron maybe one or two months a year, and even then, it's REALLY cold, if we're talking northern MI or ON. He isn't that far off.

My parents have a cottage on Lake Huron and people usually don't swim until August, or at least mid-July. Right now, in late June, you won't find people swimming, unless they're hard-core.

Old 06-23-2017, 02:37 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,328,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty870 View Post
Drro likes to yank chains.

Old 06-23-2017, 03:14 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,229,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
Southern Ontario is not too bad. Smaller lakes there are swimmable from June to September. Even Lake Erie is >20C for about 3-3.5 month a year. Elsewhere in Canada is a bit trickier, I went swimming in a river in Northern Ontario a few weeks ago and that was nice (approx 20C water, 25C air temp) but Lake Superior is a whole different story, it was still only 4C at that time (and still only 10C now).

The other good thing about Southern Ontario if you have a flexible schedule is that although the average temperature isn't that high for many months, there's still a fair bit of variation compared to many parts of Europe that have a strong moderating effect. If you're not looking to swim and just want to hang out on the beach, there will be a few good days per month for that even in April and October, sometimes even March and November if you're lucky, although so close to winter you should pick a smaller lake because the bigger ones will have a moderating effect.
Lake Erie and lake st Clair water temps often get up to 27C by mid summer, more than enough to swim comfortably. And even though Lake Huron water temperatures are a bit cooler, the very shallow waters off the beaches in Grand Bend and Sauble Beach means it's often 25C or more by mid summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada