Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 08:50 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
There are lots of variables. Some states pay so low that they can't retain teachers, and there are chronic severe shortages. In my state, beginning teachers were only getting paid around $25,000/yr. The governor at the time raised their pay to $30,000, roughly, maybe a little more, but there's still a severe teacher shortage. In Seattle, one teacher bragged to me a couple of times that he was paid more than his former fellow student at the U of WA, who was now teaching the same subject matter, but at the UW. His point was that his former classmate should have gone into public school teaching, instead of university teaching. I guess the periodic pay increases in the public schools outpace university faculty pay, that might explain it. And the public schools don't have to deal with periodic budget cuts that the universities suffer from the State legislature.

But urban vs. rural pay makes a difference, as well as how long the teacher is on the job, obviously, and teacher pay varies from state to state, as well.

Thanks for your response Ruth. That seems to jive more with what that article said and with other reports found online.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2017, 08:27 AM

2,631 posts, read 2,050,213 times
$38,500 USD is not very good pay for a college educated individual.

Old 07-04-2017, 08:46 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
I considered public school teaching about 45 years ago and by observing just how much time my in laws spent on their teaching jobs and, in a very prosperous state, pay they were receiving, decided to try a nearly impoverished career as an environmental scientist. Even if I had become a public school teacher Oklahoma would never have been considered.

Old 07-08-2017, 10:18 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,953,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
In Oklahoma a comment about this article came from a teacher with 10 years plus experience who said that even with that tenure she still made just the same as 16 to 17 per hour when she quit.

Oklahoma's 2016 Teacher Of The Year Leaves For Better Pay In Texas : NPR Ed : NPR
Teachers in Canada are very well paid, with strong unions that sometimes provide benefits during retirement. I'm of the opinion that Canadian teachers are better paid than USA teachers because of the higher qualifications required to obtain a valid provincial teaching certificate.

For example, it is increasingly common for teachers to be required to have an undergraduate degree in a core subject (e.g.: mathematics), and to then have a one or two year teaching degree as well (e.g.: one year in BC, Ontario, two years in Alberta). Teaching education is divided into elementary and secondary school specialization during university studies, with higher GPA scores required to specialize in secondary education. In addition to two degrees, the certification process takes at least two years (often longer), with a minimum of three classroom evaluations during full time continuous employment. The pay schedule starts with people who have a four year degree, and salary is automatically increased each year for ten years. Teachers with six years education start higher on the pay schedule and are the group who is eligible for $100k annually after 11 years continuous employment.

I have read that in the USA people can teach, or substitute teach, in schools without a teaching degree. I understand that the standards are set by each state, but generally speaking the qualifications to teach, or even work in a public school classroom, seem much lower in the USA than in Canada. I think that is reflected in salary.

Old 07-08-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
American teachers make more than their Canadian counterparts.

Teacher salaries by country - Business Insider
I have to wonder where they got their numbers. If a teacher in the USA max-s out at $60k, then even with the loony at an all time low Canadian teachers are better paid.

Check out page 4 of this 2012-2015 public school salary schedule:

http://www.cbe.ab.ca/careers/Documen...nt-CBE-ATA.pdf

Old 07-08-2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I have friends that are teachers and they are paid well. Good pensions etc.

They work hard. The myth that they only work 9 to 3 is just that. Many are there at 8, and don't leave to 5. If a special school event is happening, be it sports or a play, they are there much longer and do a lot of extra work in their spare time.
Teachers have regular teaching hours (typically 7/8 teaching and 1/8 preparation time each day), and each teacher is also responsible for one extracurricular activity. The hourly commitment is more or less equal. For example, a football coach time commitment is intense during football season, and a school newspaper commitment is year long, but fewer hours each week. Experienced teachers who need to work extra hours each day are not always the norm. Many experienced teachers have mastered the art in three years and do only work during work hours ... 200 days per year. Senior high teacher have it easiest as January and June are exam months, so there's not much to do except supervise three exams and mark. In fact, many teachers have so little to do that they spend a week marking provincial exams for extra pay.

Old 07-08-2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Canadian teachers are well paid and have strong unions and great pensions,
plenty on vaction time too.
Only downside is the kids....a classroom full of kids is no picnic,
if the kids were better behaved I'd be a teacher.
Professional teachers are supposed to have skills in classroom management, meaning a good teacher has well behaved students - I think it comes down to mutual respect. Teachers who cannot manage a classroom probably do not have professional teaching certification.

Old 07-08-2017, 12:33 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Teachers have regular teaching hours (typically 7/8 teaching and 1/8 preparation time each day), and each teacher is also responsible for one extracurricular activity. The hourly commitment is more or less equal. For example, a football coach time commitment is intense during football season, and a school newspaper commitment is year long, but fewer hours each week. Experienced teachers who need to work extra hours each day are not always the norm. Many experienced teachers have mastered the art in three years and do only work during work hours ... 200 days per year. Senior high teacher have it easiest as January and June are exam months, so there's not much to do except supervise three exams and mark. In fact, many teachers have so little to do that they spend a week marking provincial exams for extra pay.
The friend I was referencing is an elementary school teacher.

Old 07-08-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
I have to wonder where they got their numbers. If a teacher in the USA max-s out at $60k, then even with the loony at an all time low Canadian teachers are better paid.

Check out page 4 of this 2012-2015 public school salary schedule:

http://www.cbe.ab.ca/careers/Documen...nt-CBE-ATA.pdf
I didn't click the link. I have no idea where you got that crazy number of maxing out at in the $60s. That's absurd. We have teachers in our district making over $100K. Here are their exact salaries.

NJ Teacher Salaries - UPDATED : See how much New Jersey school teachers make

Old 07-08-2017, 12:44 PM

You have to get passed the overpaid superintendents and you'll start seeing public school teachers who are making BIG coin, plus great benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada