Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 11:22 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,521,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_wanderer View Post
Arrest and deport. Very easy.
Well, you see, we have this thing we respect very highly and don't just mouth platitudes over called the Charter of Rights and Freedoms and along with that we have the rule of law as observed by our common law unified judicial system. Both of those would have some bearing on simply arresting, without evidence to the contrary, an innocent man and deporting him without proving a criminal case against him.

Kinda niggly those rules and regs., but quite often they've been proven to work well for us and are probably a major factor as to why Canada scores very highly among those countries with the greater degree of individual freedoms guaranteed.

Undoubtedly this latest occurrence will cause some introspection on the part of our governing bodies and I'm sure opinions will be expressed up to and including some of those we've witnessed from south of the border.

We'll have to be very careful to make sure knee jerking doesn't rise to the level of causing us to throw the baby out with the bath water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2017, 11:32 PM

3,631 posts, read 3,426,237 times
Quote:
Arrest? On what grounds?

Old 10-02-2017, 12:31 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,351,290 times
Quote:
No, he was not a Mennonite, a Mormon, or an Orthodox Jew, what a surprise. And he was known to police, but police did nothing useful as usual.

It was truly a miracle that no loss of life occurred given how deadly car attack could be.
If you think there can be freedom of religion for Jews, Mormons and Mennonites without the same freedom of religion for Muslims, you are sadly mistaken.

Old 10-02-2017, 12:46 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,510,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Do people not realise that many Christians also believe that their religion represents the final will of God and that people ought to convert to it?
Of course there are plenty of extreme Christians who believe that their version speaks the absolute truth. The same mentality can also be found in other religions, although lately it tends to be more concentrated in certain areas.

I'm not saying that we should single out any group for a travel ban and I fully support Muslims who want to make Canada their new home, as long as they respect the country's values. There is nothing wrong with practicing your religion in private or within an organization as long as that group doesn't preach hatred or try to supplant other groups.

The observations I made earlier were in regards to the religion's role in the context of the 21st Century and how the ideology that fuels extremism can be found within religious texts. It was never meant as an attack against the character of any individual that wishes to practice Islam in peace.

Old 10-02-2017, 12:49 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,110,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Agree in reality it is lower. I say 1% figuratively.
Well, it depends on what you guys mean by "radicalized".

If you mean by that people who are likely to carry out attacks, then sure it's 1% or even lower.

If you mean people who espouse views that to us would be radical, then it's much higher than that.

A decent sized chunk of the Muslim population (maybe a quarter to a third?) in Canada and western countries in general have pretty radical views on everything ranging from gays and women's rights to "disrespect for the prophet". While they would never carry out attacks themselves, they may mildly sympathize or even support them in some cases.

The more moderate Muslims that we all know (including myself) are the majority but this rump does exist and our Muslim friends, colleagues and neighbours if they are comfortable enough discussing such things are the first to point this out.

The reason we don't rub shoulders with the radicals (and therefore may deny their existence in our midst) is because they very much keep to themselves. They definitely don't mix socially with us and often they don't even have places of employment in common with us.

I realize all of this is very "inconvenient" for some people.

Old 10-02-2017, 01:51 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,351,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Of course there are plenty of extreme Christians who believe that their version speaks the absolute truth. The same mentality can also be found in other religions, although lately it tends to be more concentrated in certain areas.

I'm not saying that we should single out any group for a travel ban and I fully support Muslims who want to make Canada their new home, as long as they respect the country's values. There is nothing wrong with practicing your religion in private or within an organization as long as that group doesn't preach hatred or try to supplant other groups.

The observations I made earlier were in regards to the religion's role in the context of the 21st Century and how the ideology that fuels extremism can be found within religious texts. It was never meant as an attack against the character of any individual that wishes to practice Islam in peace.
Christians who believe many of the same things Muslims believe are actually traditional Christians. Roman Catholics for one, and many evangelical Protestant churches as well. So I don't know what you mean by radical in the context of Christianity. Inconvenient though it may be, it is the less traditional views that are 'radical' within the context of Christianity.

And I may or may not agree with you that religions should be practised in private depending on what you mean by that. If an outward expression of faith such as a cross or Star of David or head-coverings such as Muslims or Hutterites wear as part of their every day life is considered public, then I would disagree with you. If you mean that a country's laws about equality in the public sector and no honour killings etc should be allowed, then I would agree with you.

Traditional Mennonite beliefs were based on Jesus' words that, "my kingdom is not of this world" so the interpretation of that was not to meddle in the affairs of the state. Very unfortunately, imo, American ideas of religion meddling in the affairs of the state have crept into Mennonitism. I have long been vocal in real life about how their (local Mennonites) blathering on American-style and wanting local politicians to profess their faith are going to bite them in the ass. Many of my neighbours would also express the anti-Muslim bigotry and talk nonsense about how Canada is a "Christian" nation. When you want to take away the liberty of others, one should expect that one's own liberty is equally liable to be taken away.

Old 10-02-2017, 04:53 AM

1 posts, read 530 times
Quote:
Just that? Seems too mild.

Old 10-02-2017, 05:35 AM

295 posts, read 264,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
If you think there can be freedom of religion for Jews, Mormons and Mennonites without the same freedom of religion for Muslims, you are sadly mistaken.
I am very sad that you don't see the difference between peaceful religion and ideology of hatred. Especially, given the fact that 99% of the terror attacks for the last three decades are being executed by Islamists all over the world. And, by the way, 99% of the victims are muslims themselves. Do you know that? Because the majority of terror attacks happens in Iraq, Syria, Libya, Egypt. Because Shia muslims hate Sunni muslims and Sunni muslims hate dearly Shia muslims. Because they follow the ideology of hatred.

Old 10-02-2017, 07:46 AM

295 posts, read 264,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Well, you see, we have this thing we respect very highly and don't just mouth platitudes over called the Charter of Rights and Freedoms and along with that we have the rule of law as observed by our common law unified judicial system. Both of those would have some bearing on simply arresting, without evidence to the contrary, an innocent man and deporting him without proving a criminal case against him.

Kinda niggly those rules and regs., but quite often they've been proven to work well for us and are probably a major factor as to why Canada scores very highly among those countries with the greater degree of individual freedoms guaranteed.

Undoubtedly this latest occurrence will cause some introspection on the part of our governing bodies and I'm sure opinions will be expressed up to and including some of those we've witnessed from south of the border.

We'll have to be very careful to make sure knee jerking doesn't rise to the level of causing us to throw the baby out with the bath water.
This man did not have an inherent right to be here - he was accepted to Canada (out from his crappy hellhole aka Somalia, not exactly aligned with western values) because of good will and compassion of Canada and Canadian people. And Canadians also have some rights - one of them is to be protected by government authorities. Taking the risk to bring people from such dark places as Somalia and then ignoring the duties by tolerating extremist behaviour of such "refugees" is clearly a disrespect of basic rights of Canadian people.

Old 10-02-2017, 08:46 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,521,794 times
Quote:
This man did not have an inherent right to be here - he was accepted to Canada (out from his crappy hellhole aka Somalia, not exactly aligned with western values) because of good will and compassion of Canada and Canadian people. And Canadians also have some rights - one of them is to be protected by government authorities. Taking the risk to bring people from such dark places as Somalia and then ignoring the duties by tolerating extremist behaviour of such "refugees" is clearly a disrespect of basic rights of Canadian people.
You are correct insofar as his rights prior to arrival but once given refugee status his 'rights clock' started ticking. You know this.

The conundrum you face is Canada being Canada requires observance of those things which have served to make Canada unique and, along with giving us our self respect, arriving at Canada being respected around the globe in higher regard than either our economic or military might would have us placed.

We have to be very careful to not resort to the absolutes you're using with comments assuming the "ignoring of duties by tolerating extremist behaviour". You need to remind yourself that were abhorrent or "extremist behaviour" deemed in itself of a criminal nature so as to result in some form of major usurping of rights as granted; that this person was simply narked for espousing verbally some extremist viewpoints.

In consideration of the freedom of speech we hold dear, considering what some might consider your expressed viewpoint of arresting and deporting someone having committed no crime as in and of itself a form of "extremist behaviour".

Crossing a line once, puts the line behind you forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada