Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 12:44 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,813,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
A good majority but not all of them.

Something like 17% of Ottawa's population is francophone, and given that the police service has some level of bilingualism requirement, it wouldn't be surprising if anywhere between a fifth and a quarter of the force was francophone.

The current chief of police, Charles Bordeleau, happens to be a francophone Ottawan. I believe he might be the first native French speaker to hold that job.

You may find this amusing but Ottawa, like many other cities I don't need to name, has a history of a heavy Irish presence in its police department.
The Irish cop has been a cliche in Northern US cities for over a 100 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2017, 01:40 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Both my wife and I would be considered "superbilingual" Canadians. This is quite typical of people who've grown up as minorities but haven't lost their native language.

Old 11-09-2017, 02:25 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,522,955 times
EUropeans leave Anglo countries far behind in multilingualism. Especially the Scandinavians and Dutch. To be honest I expected the standard of English to be higher in Quebec than it is. I guess I was comparing it to Europe. We have just been in New Caledonia and the standard of English there is way behind that of France. I think in Europe these days kids start learning English in kindergarten and have daily lessons. They certainly do in Sicily, where we have family.

Old 11-09-2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
EUropeans leave Anglo countries far behind in multilingualism. Especially the Scandinavians and Dutch. To be honest I expected the standard of English to be higher in Quebec than it is. I guess I was comparing it to Europe. We have just been in New Caledonia and the standard of English there is way behind that of France. I think in Europe these days kids start learning English in kindergarten and have daily lessons. They certainly do in Sicily, where we have family.
English in kindergarten in continental Europe? I think that would be quite rare. Even in the super-English-friendly Nordics I think they only start English in grades 3 or 4...

Unless you are talking about a private school. That I would believe.

Here in Quebec English starts in Grade 1 and that's pretty early by most standards.

Old 11-09-2017, 03:22 PM

869 posts, read 1,125,228 times
Quote:
Both my wife and I would be considered "superbilingual" Canadians.
Due to my exposure to Quebecois I can easily tell English is not your main language. Mostly because you overuse ''that''.

Unlike english, french is teeming with adverbs and pronouns , my guess is you substitute ''that'' for words like ''que'' or ''qui''.

Quote:
To be honest I expected the standard of English to be higher in Quebec than it is.
I dont remember off hand but there are numbers out there on the level of english proficiency for Quebecers, something impressive like 40% or more but those are self-reported.

Of course this is merely anecdotal but from my time over there I'd say the % of frenchies who can hold a lengthy conversation beyond the mondane is more like 10% if that.

Old 11-09-2017, 05:16 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,328,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsereed View Post
Due to my exposure to Quebecois I can easily tell English is not your main language. Mostly because you overuse ''that''.

Unlike english, french is teeming with adverbs and pronouns , my guess is you substitute ''that'' for words like ''que'' or ''qui''.
He does?

Old 11-09-2017, 05:51 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,522,955 times
Quote:
English in kindergarten in continental Europe? I think that would be quite rare. Even in the super-English-friendly Nordics I think they only start English in grades 3 or 4...

Here in Quebec English starts in Grade 1 and that's pretty early by most standards.
Public school in Eastern Sicily. My grandson in Sydney is studying French in kindy but it is a private school and it is unusual. Our country suffers from an acute shortage of language teachers. That is in some ways surprising considering that we are even more multicultural than Canada.

Old 11-09-2017, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Public school in Eastern Sicily. My grandson in Sydney is studying French in kindy but it is a private school and it is unusual. Our country suffers from an acute shortage of language teachers. That is in some ways surprising considering that we are even more multicultural than Canada.
Australians often say that but is it really true? I am familiar with both countries and Anglo-Canada is fairly similar to Oz in this respect.

And then there is Québec which tosses another element into the mix.

Not sure Oz has French speaking Chinese Italian African aboriginal etc people.

Old 11-09-2017, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
He does?
Jonsereed is such a cunning linguist!

Old 11-09-2017, 06:04 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,813,278 times
Quote:

Students study English for twelve years?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada