Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2021, 07:45 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,838,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Well, there are polar bears in Toronto. Three or four of them, actually. They live at the Toronto Zoo, and it's fun to watch them playing and splashing in their pool.

Pizza Pizza is maybe the best of the chains, and there are a lot of better Mom and Pop pizzerias in Toronto. But when your favourite Mom and Pop pizzeria is closed and you're home and hungry after a night of boozing, Pizza Pizza is what you want.
My nights of boozing and being out late are long gone, although like any other respectable old woman, I drink my share of red wine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Next time you're in Toronto, and are craving pizza, try Bitondo's. Still my favourite Mom and Pop pizzeria in Toronto. It's on Clinton Street, just south of College Street. You will be underwhelmed by the decor, and there are only three or four tables (it primarily operates as takeout), but the pizza is amazing.
That trip to Toronto last week was the very first time I was there. Despite more than 30 trips to Canada over the past four years, I'd never gotten there. I've spent most of my time at a beautiful lake in a rural area. However, life has taken a difficult turn, and because the Canadian I love is suffering from serious health issues, I expect to be in Toronto often now.

I've always wanted to visit Toronto, as a person who spent her life working in Manhattan. Major international city on a body of water, works for me. I worked in the public transportation engineering industry, including aviation, and there are many connections and interactions between the two cities and the common entities who keep their trains, planes, and automobiles moving and build the facilities they use.

What you describe in the bolded is exactly what I'd look for in the best pizza places in NJ. My favorite place has maybe five tables and looks as if the interior was last updated in 1975. I'm going to make it a point to find Bitondo's one of these days.

Old 11-29-2021, 01:37 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,564,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
^ I too laughed at polar bears in Toronto, but we do have funny ideas about each other sometimes. A nice Canadian woman and her bf drove me to Toronto recently to visit someone in the--I mean IN hospital.

I treated them to dinner afterward at a place of their choice that specialized in those fine Canadian traditional dishes of enchiladas and fajitas. (Not my thing, I had a steak.) During a conversation about food, I mentioned that my experience as a person from New Jersey was that Canada wasn't all that great at pizza*, but I'd learned to love the availability of fish and chips even though I wasn't really that big a fan of fried food otherwise.

The woman stopped chewing, looked at me perplexed, and said, "But I thought Americans fried everything."

That's something I had never heard before. Hoping it was just a perception of that one person.

*I have to admit that while I resisted for a long time trying Pizza Pizza after realizing there was no one else around from New Jersey who would see me go inside a CHAIN pizza shop and shame me for it, it was pretty darn good. I went back several times.
Perceptions.

We all do it, and my fellow Canadians joke about it, but Toronto, and Ontario do no represent all of Canada.

I know you know this but, your experience with Canada and Pizza is only in Ontario.

Pizza Pizza and I've been while in Toronto, is OK....not great, at least to me. It's a late night after clubbing thing. It is UNKNOWN in the rest of Canada, like Beer Stores...it doesn't exist.

As for fried food. Well again...in places like Vancouver which is so closed to the US border, where we pre-covid travelled easily, people from both countries, have less preconceived Ideas about each country.

I know I'm being picky but instead of saying " that my experience as a person from New Jersey was that Canada wasn't all that great at pizza" narrowing it down to Ontario, or at least the area of Ontario that you were in. would be more accurate.

It's like me saying the USA doesn't have great pizza because I had one in North Dakota and it wasn't as good. Although I'm not equating ND to Ontario, nor saying that North Dakota doesn't have great pizza...never been and don't know.

LOL You have just seen the whole theme of Canadians being frustrated at the joke that Toronto is the centre of the universe. Toronto is great, and I love it, but it is NOT a representative of all of Canada.

Now I'm craving Hawaiian Pizza

Which for those that don't get the joke, was first created in Winnipeg, Manitoba.

I am not saying that there aren't great pizza places in Toronto, there are, but local knowledge anywhere is best.

I'll be there in May in fact and will out looking for good pizza..and wine

Last edited by Natnasci; 11-29-2021 at 02:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2021, 06:00 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,497,191 times
Dang; I'm going on record now as one of those, when pineapple was first introduced as a pizza topping, scoffed at the idea but - after trying it, enjoy it periodically.

"Boredom" used to describe an entire country fails as an adjective in the same manner it would fail if used as a generalization to describe a tennis match. What entrances or entertains people is as individual a set of features as are fingerprints.

It would be akin to suggesting that having driven through many European countries using nothing but autobahns or major motorways at average speeds of 75 mph, I found those countries boring.

Some smaller countries might have only one singular feature that sets them apart from all others but that feature serves to draw curious people from all over the planet who, in turn, would never think of using the word boredom to describe it.

Old 11-29-2021, 07:25 AM

3,462 posts, read 2,789,333 times
There’s good boring and bad boring.

Old 11-29-2021, 07:40 AM

2,401 posts, read 1,570,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
There’s good boring and bad boring.
you been to Saskatchewan? just kidding

Old 11-29-2021, 07:49 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,497,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
you been to Saskatchewan? just kidding
In my youth, once spent a night in the Piapot hoosgowh at the behest of the RCMP. - They were impressed with my custom built Triton and were contemplating getting a Norton (of all things) so they gave me a night's free room and breakfast to allow for spending the evening discussing motorcycle preferences. Those were the days!

Old 11-29-2021, 09:47 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Perceptions.

We all do it, and my fellow Canadians joke about it, but Toronto, and Ontario do no represent all of Canada.

I know you know this but, your experience with Canada and Pizza is only in Ontario.

Pizza Pizza and I've been while in Toronto, is OK....not great, at least to me. It's a late night after clubbing thing. It is UNKNOWN in the rest of Canada, like Beer Stores...it doesn't exist.

As for fried food. Well again...in places like Vancouver which is so closed to the US border, where we pre-covid travelled easily, people from both countries, have less preconceived Ideas about each country.

I know I'm being picky but instead of saying " that my experience as a person from New Jersey was that Canada wasn't all that great at pizza" narrowing it down to Ontario, or at least the area of Ontario that you were in. would be more accurate.

It's like me saying the USA doesn't have great pizza because I had one in North Dakota and it wasn't as good. Although I'm not equating ND to Ontario, nor saying that North Dakota doesn't have great pizza...never been and don't know.

LOL You have just seen the whole theme of Canadians being frustrated at the joke that Toronto is the centre of the universe. Toronto is great, and I love it, but it is NOT a representative of all of Canada.

Now I'm craving Hawaiian Pizza

Which for those that don't get the joke, was first created in Winnipeg, Manitoba.

I am not saying that there aren't great pizza places in Toronto, there are, but local knowledge anywhere is best.

I'll be there in May in fact and will out looking for good pizza..and wine
Everything you say is true, which was my reply to the "fried food" woman. Maybe in the SOUTH, you will find fried food to be very common. All Americans are not the same. As a matter of fact, my S.O. was surprised that I knew the song Lady Marmalade because he thought it was banned on American radio stations. Again, certainly not in the NYC metro area, but possibly in the Bible Belt.

We are big countries with widely varied heritages, customs, and cultures within each.

Didn't know about Beer Stores. We don't have them in New Jersey, either. As a matter of fact, our states rules so vary when it comes to alcohol that some states sell beer in convenience stores, which is illegal in my state.

Now NYC IS the center of the universe! Kidding, of course.

My experience with Canada is mostly a small rural area just east of the middle of nowhere, and while I have grown to love THAT place, I certainly know all of your country doesn't look like that. And dagnabbit, I am going to see Vancouver someday!

ETA: I did NOT know that pineapple on pizza came out of Winnipeg. Wonder if the S.O. knows. His mother was from there. I am a person who said no way would I ever eat that, it's WRONG. But I did, and it's good, and now I want some, too.

Old 11-29-2021, 09:59 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,047,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
As a matter of fact, my S.O. was surprised that I knew the song Lady Marmalade because he thought it was banned on American radio stations. Again, certainly not in the NYC metro area, but possibly in the Bible Belt.
Before that song became popular, how many Americans would have known the meaning of Voulez-vous coucher avec moi ce soir?

Old 11-29-2021, 10:43 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,409,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Perceptions.

It is unknown? Seems to be pretty popular here in MB.

I would agree though, there is much better pizza in Toronto and else where.

Old 11-29-2021, 10:48 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,048,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Before that song became popular, how many Americans would have known the meaning of Voulez-vous coucher avec moi ce soir?
At the very least it would have been 1,301,443. There aren't a lot of French speaking people in America.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada