Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2021, 06:29 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,772,573 times

Advertisements

McDonald's in Canada used to serve pizza in the early 1990's. I faintly recall it being very similar pizza to our Pizza Hut which is now yucky to me but to a little kid back then, it was still yummy. Canada is not boring, it is a rather interesting alternative take on North American culture that's all .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2021, 06:54 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
At one point women weren't allowed to go into beer parlours here. One of my mom's cousins was part of several demonstrations back in the 70s, where she and some other ladies took over the local beer parlour.
It just seems so odd to us now. Thank goodness times change.

I remember in elementary school, girls were not allowed to wear pants. In Grade 7 some girls, with the help of their mothers, decided to protest.

They had their mothers make long skirts, like they wore in 1900. This was before the mini and the maxi, so they looked odd when they came to school.

It seemed to have worked. I'm not sure how widespread the protest was and that the school board listened. Or if the rule of girls not wearing pants was specific to my school. Or someone realized times were changing a lot in the 1960's and best to get with it!!

Old 11-29-2021, 09:31 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Before that song became popular, how many Americans would have known the meaning of Voulez-vous coucher avec moi ce soir?
Not many, but it became a little bit of French language education for us.

Old 11-29-2021, 09:34 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

I remember in elementary school, girls were not allowed to wear pants. In Grade 7 some girls, with the help of their mothers, decided to protest.

They had their mothers make long skirts, like they wore in 1900. This was before the mini and the maxi, so they looked odd when they came to school.

It seemed to have worked. I'm not sure how widespread the protest was and that the school board listened. Or if the rule of girls not wearing pants was specific to my school. Or someone realized times were changing a lot in the 1960's and best to get with it!!
I was not allowed to wear pants to school all though Grade 6. But that year, the high school girls staged a sit-in in which they sat in the corridors in school and refused to go to classes until the rules were changed allowing girls to wear pants to school. My sister was in Grade 12 and part of that.

The next year I went to that school (it was a junior-senior high school, 7th through 12th) and I could wear jeans to school. 1970.

Old 11-29-2021, 11:25 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,328,351 times
Quote:

We were allowed to wear pants. But I remember pointing at another little girl and laughing around grade 2 (ish), because her pants had a fly in them. Girls' pants didn't have that. Years later it occurred to me that they were poor. Those might have been her brother's pants.

Jeans were rare and my parents were adamantly opposed to them - jeans were suitable for the barn or the field but not for any other occasion. I started a new school for 7th grade and managed to finangle a pair of brushed demin pants that I hoped would fool the school's fashionistas from a distance. The following year I had my first real jeans.

But on picture days, up to 6th grade, I was in a nice skirt, as were most of the girls.

Old 11-30-2021, 03:02 AM

3,625 posts, read 3,412,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
What you describe in the bolded is exactly what I'd look for in the best pizza places in NJ. My favorite place has maybe five tables and looks as if the interior was last updated in 1975. I'm going to make it a point to find Bitondo's one of these days.
You shouldn't be disappointed. Bitondo's is still there, as a Google search tells me, though I doubt that Mama is still holding court at one of the three or four tables, as she did, thirty years ago. Heck, she was about 70 years old then.

Using Google, I'm disappointed to find that many of my favourite haunts are no longer there. The Maharani on the Queensway, had Indian curry to die for, and the Pappas Grill on the Danforth (Greek food) has gone out of business.

But I was happy to see that "The Esquire Steak and Souvlaki" is still in business. It's on Victoria Park Ave, just south of Sheppard, and if you want souvlaki, it's the place to go. Get the souvlaki dinner, which comes with (IIRC) french fries, Greek salad, rice, and a roll. And when they ask, "You want lemon and garlic sauce?" the only answer is, "Yes, please." The best souvlaki I've had outside of Athens.

You can eat well in Toronto, out of Mom and Pops. You just have to ask a native Torontonian where they are.

Old 11-30-2021, 03:27 AM

3,625 posts, read 3,412,654 times
Quote:
Jeans were rare and my parents were adamantly opposed to them - jeans were suitable for the barn or the field but not for any other occasion. I started a new school for 7th grade and managed to finangle a pair of brushed demin pants that I hoped would fool the school's fashionistas from a distance. The following year I had my first real jeans.
As a boy, jeans were frowned upon for both boys and girls at my elementary school in the 1960s, though not totally prohibited. I wore dress trousers and Oxford shoes to school, as did most of my boy classmates. Girls wore dresses or skirts, or the school tunic, which was a dress under which a blouse was worn. It wasn't mandated, but a lot of girls seemed to like it.

Then we got to middle school (or as we called it, Senior Public) and all bets were off. Both boys and girls got to wear jeans--and oh how those jeans fit the girls. Our school had a swimming pool, and so, we were in the pool once a week (in place of a gym session), and I remember the day that Kim, a female classmate who was well-endowed even at 14, came out of the girls' locker room wearing a string bikini. She was only 14, and so were we, but holy hannah!

Jeans on girls and boys was pretty well normalized by the time we got to high school. Some girls liked to wear dresses and skirts and slacks, but a lot also wore jeans.

Old 11-30-2021, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I was not allowed to wear pants to school all though Grade 6. But that year, the high school girls staged a sit-in in which they sat in the corridors in school and refused to go to classes until the rules were changed allowing girls to wear pants to school. My sister was in Grade 12 and part of that.

The next year I went to that school (it was a junior-senior high school, 7th through 12th) and I could wear jeans to school. 1970.
Interesting.

I wonder how wide-spread this was. If it was happening on the west coast of Canada and in the eastern US, certainly it was happening in other places.

It was a time to challenge the social norms for sure.

Old 11-30-2021, 11:28 AM

Quote:
We were allowed to wear pants. But I remember pointing at another little girl and laughing around grade 2 (ish), because her pants had a fly in them. Girls' pants didn't have that. Years later it occurred to me that they were poor. Those might have been her brother's pants.

But on picture days, up to 6th grade, I was in a nice skirt, as were most of the girls.
Jeans. My grandmother hated them. Whenever she visited we weren't suppose to be wearing them. She loosened up quite a bit over the years. I think as you said, equated them for outdoor work.

Old 11-30-2021, 02:15 PM

3,462 posts, read 2,789,333 times
Quote:
Jeans. My grandmother hated them. Whenever she visited we weren't suppose to be wearing them. She loosened up quite a bit over the years. I think as you said, equated them for outdoor work.
I pull my blue jeans on
I pull my old blue jeans on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwGlhKcEBjY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada