Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2018, 08:35 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,302,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Gee...thanks for offering your pearls of wisdom to us poor benighted Americans, but here's a tip for you in return: your theory is completely off base.

In the list of reasons Americans own guns, "Fear of people with dark skins" wouldn't even be in the top 10.
Why wasting your time?? The poster is clearly a troll that just joined the forum to spout nonsense....look at his/her post counter....5
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Why would a civilian need a gun like this?
Target shooting, wildlife defense, varmint and small game hunting...the rifle has a low recoil that make it easy to shoot and so on...

Old 02-21-2018, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
You're pretty arrogant with the underlined Saturno. It is also pretentious to assume that because someone has a different viewpoint on the issues than you do means people don't think about a topic more than reading headlines.
Come on there is nothing arrogant...not comparing the US society to Japan (or to Canada for that matter) is just common sense...and, as the numbers that I have already posted show, Japan does not do much better, murder rate wise, than countries in the top 10 (for example, Norway and Austria) for civilian firearm ownership per capita.

Let me remind you, again, that gun sales in the US are at all time high (and almost so gun ownership as all the circumstantial evidence point to) and violent crime is at historical low....the correlation that you think is so evident is actually quite more complicated than that.

Besides, you know why Japan has such strict gun control?? Hint: Its has nothing to do with crime...

When you say "In Norway and Austria people use guns mainly for sporting reason" does not mean anything....Newsflafh also in the US (and in every country that allows for civilian ownership of firearms for that matter) people use firearms for sporting reasons as well....for what else a legal gun owner would use them for??

Americans use firearms for target shooting and hunting and some have a CCW for carrying a handgun......as numbers already prove, CCW holders are the most law abiding citizen in the US....more than Police officers.....CCW holders do not commit even a fraction of violent crime.

Quote:
C'mon now, you know as well as I do that the vast majority of deaths in mass shooting is with weapons similar to an AR-15. When was the last time someone went into a school and used their bare hands and feet to kill 21 children. Be real! The murders committed with knifes, blunt objects and bare hands/feet are most likely if not all done in a domestic violence situation. The two are not parallel and you know it!
I'm real and you do miss the big picture...gun murders committed with a rifle, are a tiny tiny fraction of total gun murders and mass shooting still are a fraction of these

It is simply a non issue.

Last edited by saturno_v; 02-21-2018 at 09:02 PM..

Old 02-21-2018, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
The AR-15 is a powerful weapon, yes.
Actually as a centerfire rifle the AR-15 is not that powerful...

Old 02-21-2018, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post

I know that you say that mass shootings are not a day-to-day occurrence but it's getting closer and closer to that. They're not as rare as they used to be.

Actually they are rare and we had quite worse periods in the past....is not anywhere close to become a frequent occurrence....

I posted a couple of articles about this.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:56 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post

I'm real and you do not see the big picture...gun murders committed with a rifle, are a tiny tiny fraction of total gun murders and mass shooting still are a fraction of these

And there you have it in a nutshell. It's simply a non issue.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:58 PM

6 posts, read 2,839 times
Americans need to give up the guns and adopt another hobby like.. gardening perhaps. Funny that there is an hour long tribute from the president of the United States donald Lump.. I mean “trump” to a 100 year old man who croaked today but nothing of the teenaged shooting victims.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
And there you have it in a nutshell. It's simply a non issue.

Yes, as tragic as these acts are, you need to be rational and realize that these are very rare events and are pretty much impossible to prevent with gun legislation alone short of banning guns outright Other than improving the background process for mental health screening and implementing background checks also for private sales (which I entirely support) there is nothing much you can do....and even all of this would not have made one iota of difference in many of these shootings.

The real problem is somewhere else and we haven't even started to tackle it.

Would have made you feel better if the Sandy Hook shooter used a common pump or semiauto shotgun loaded with 00 buckshot?? Or with a Remington 742 that millions of granpas use in the midwest to hunt deer which fires a cartridge much more powerful than an AR-15?? Or with a Ruger Mini-14 farm rifle used by countless farmers for varmint control?? Would have been less tragic?? You tell me I'm all ears....This is when emotions overcome rationality in the gun debate...

Last edited by saturno_v; 02-21-2018 at 09:16 PM..

Old 02-21-2018, 09:09 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
I have always been one of those "outcast" when i was in school, the quiet kid in class sometimes got bullied and never fit in with anyone.... on top of that most of our schools are designed in a prison like fashion... i remember many times i would go outside for lunch cause i just didn't like being in there and the school cop would always be on my a-- .

It's really easy to "go over the edge" in these type of environments, honestly just a more laid back rules and more of a community feel in our schools would go a long way, something as simple as big windows in a classroom would be nice.

Why Do Our Schools Look Like Prisons? What Is This Doing To Our Students? - New York School Talk

Being stuck in a big dark building with a bunch of people you don't fit in with is not a easy thing to do 5 days a week, its all very much a society issue.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:42 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Quote:
Come on there is nothing arrogant...not comparing the US society to Japan (or to Canada for that matter) is just common sense...and, as the numbers that I have already posted show, Japan does not do much better, murder rate wise, than countries in the top 10 (for example, Norway and Austria) for civilian firearm ownership per capita.
I don't see why we shouldn't compare ourselves to Japan on this matter or Norway either. Norway has strict gun control laws and the gun culture there is different. Gun ownership may be high, but more often used in organized settings - gun clubs and during hunting season. I know, you'll say this is the same in the U.S but there are some key differences in terms of access to certain types of guns and the capabilities of those guns vs Norway

Quote:
Besides, you know why Japan has such strict gun control?? Hint: Its has nothing to do with crime...
What difference does it make?

Quote:
When you say "In Norway and Austria" people use guns mainly for sporting reason" does not mean anything....Newsflafh also in the US people mainly use firearms for sporting reasons as well....
I didn't say in Austria - I said I didn't know about Austria. As for Norway, I think I've spoken enough on that country. Access to guns used like the type in the countless mass shootings in the U.S is much harder to come by in Norway and the gun culture not as pronounced. Gun ownership levels only tell a part of the story. What type of guns are owned Assault vs Long gun etc. Is it even legal to own a AR-15 in Norway and if so wouldn't it be severely restricted. What gun control laws have been implemented in Norway or even Canada vs the U.S for that matter. Where'd you think it would be easier to casually get a AR-15 that can shoot off more rounds in these countries?

Quote:
As numbers already prove, CCW holders are the most law abiding citizen in the US....more than Police officers.....CCW holders do not commit even a fraction of violent crime
Yes guns and more guns is the answer. You know Trump mentioned at a news conference with students and families of the victims. Let's arm the teachers with CCW so they can 'defend' students. Let's move guns more and more out of organized settings and for specific purposes and more into the hands of everyone. Let's not make it harder for people to get an AR-15 let's somehow pray the evil away. AAs for CCW holders being more law abiding than Police Officers - what does that say about Police Officers?

Quote:
I'm real and you do not see the big picture...gun murders committed with a rifle, are a tiny tiny fraction of total gun murders and mass shooting still are a fraction of these

As you know i'm not a big fan of guns but I think it is fair to say that mass shooting deaths are attributed by a large degree used with high powered assault rifles like the AR-15 with probably 30 round magazines. How many rounds are allowed in Canada with said gun which is restricted and only available with extreme vetting here. How this can be dismissed as a non issue by you is startling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada