Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2018, 05:06 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,303,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
You skeet shoot with a shotgun, not any kind of rifle.

...not only that, let's also explain to our friend that shotguns with loads suitable for skeet shooting actually have a range effectiveness of only few dozens yards so you can actually have a skeet and trap shooting club in the middle of a city (even heavily urbanized one) with no problems at all....noise and potential environmental issues (lead) is much more on an issue than stray pellets...a park with an exclusion zone of few hundred yards is all you need.

Last edited by saturno_v; 03-09-2018 at 05:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Ban Semi-automatic rifles like the AR-15, period.
As I already pointed out (I think) pump and lever action firearms can be almost as fast as semi auto ones...

Quote:
We're not talking about murder rates - we are talking about mass shootings. Since you brought it up though, why would you compare murder rates for selective States? Shouldn't you compare the murder rates of all states vs all provinces? Or are you just limiting your comparisons to fit the narrative you want to portray? The United States isn't just made up of Border States with Canada.
Because many of these states and provinces have a lot of cultural aspects in common and similar population density and composition.

Old 03-09-2018, 05:13 PM

Quote:
If assault rifles were legal and the weapon of choice in mass shootings, I bet you people like Saturno would be in here defending their legality.
Very few gun owners advocate for full automatic rifles, they literally serve no purpose for sporting use (hunting or target shooting) not even for the most demanding (and rare) wildlife defense situation.

So you are totally wrong, I totally support the current machine gun ban (that boat sailed long time ago)

Old 03-09-2018, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
This is how far I got, and as far as I'm going to go with your response.

You are being intellectually dishonest.

You KNOW darn well that you are leaving out the fact that in Canada hand guns regulations are NOT the same as in the US except for CCW rights. You KNOW, as Chevy has pointed out numerous times, that in Canada you can not get a hand gun for protection. That there are three main reasons you may be allowed to purchase a restricted weapon. Employment, target shooting ( with proof you belong to a club ) and being a collector.

Those three things PLUS wanting one for protection , show you how different the regulations are. It's the law. It's been shown to you NUMEROUS times, and yet you still post that the only difference is CCW rights.

Just stop

Nat, frankly....I really really really give up....you are dense indeed...very

Old 03-10-2018, 12:01 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
As I already pointed out (I think) pump and lever action firearms can be almost as fast as semi auto ones...
Well for whatever reason - mass shooting killers don't seem to be jumping on the pump and lever action firearms to kill scores of kids - they are going to semi-automatic rifles. If what you are saying is true however, and these guns are 'almost' as fast - ban them too!

Quote:
Because many of these states and provinces have a lot of cultural aspects in common and similar population density and composition.
What? Show me ANY stats that have Ontario having the same murder rate as New York State or Quebec the same as Michigan. Please - show me because you do realize in Canada, Quebec and Ontario represent about 65 percent of the population of the country - so yeah murder rates for the two most populated Provinces vs two most populated border States - New York and Michigan do matter...

Here - i'll make it easy for you..
In 2015 New York State tallied 3.1 homicides per 100K
In 2016 Ontario tallied 1.4 per 100K

In 2015 Michigan State tallied 5.8 per 100K
In 2016 Quebec tallied .80 per 100K

https://www.statcan.gc.ca/daily-quot...71122b-eng.htm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder...tates_by_state

There are more homicides in New York State than Canada and almost as many in Michigan as Canada so NO the most populated border States DO NOT have similar, same or close homicide rates. I discounted PA State because only a sliver of it in the north west borders Canada but its homicide rate is higher than New York and lower than Michigan by a hair so you're not going to get relief from PA.

Last edited by fusion2; 03-10-2018 at 12:21 AM..

Old 03-10-2018, 09:17 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
They're not jumping on them for that task because they're nowhere near as fast, require more target re-acquisition effort after recharging, far fewer available rounds per load out, no available extended mag option and......most of them are boat anchors by comparison.

Tube, side gate or undergate reloading any of the type would get your azz shot in a hurry by some cop with a 15 shot Glock or the ex-line backer football coach putting you through the black board with a decent tackle.

Sat should know this and not try to float the comparison as being anywhere as suitable for the terrible deeds being talked about.

Old 03-10-2018, 10:52 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Quote:
When is going to dawn on you that the tool that a crazy person use is not the issue?? Pressure cooker bombs, mowing down people with a vehicle, and so on.....you cannot stop evil acts by banning things...it is a fool's errand...you should go to the root cause of these events....

For a crazy person who is intent on committing mass murder successfully the tool he uses IS the issue.

He's going to want to use the tool that is common and easy to gain access to and will go anywhere and will do the most damage in the most minimal amount of time from a distance with no physical contact required and not much physical effort (if any) put into it.

Quick and easy for the coward - aim, trigger, BANG! - with none of this nonsense of putting personal effort and risk into making bombs or driving a vehicle into people on a guaranteed suicide run. So the ideal and most preferable tool for ANY killer to use is a gun, and that makes that tool an issue. A crazy, lazy, cowardly killer who might otherwise not have used any other tool (because it's too much effort to use) and may never have killed will feel encouraged to kill and will do so if he has a gun. Because killing and people who kill is the only thing that guns are made for.

Old 03-10-2018, 04:03 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Nat, frankly....I really really really give up....you are dense indeed...very
Sat, most of the posters here have read most of your posts over a fairly lengthy time. They KNOW that what you have said about hand guns in Canada.

So by calling me dense, you are in a way calling the others here who have also " schooled " you in the differences in gun laws, dense as well.

I'd say I'm in pretty good company.

Old 03-10-2018, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
For a crazy person who is intent on committing mass murder successfully the tool he uses IS the issue.

He's going to want to use the tool that is common and easy to gain access to and will go anywhere and will do the most damage in the most minimal amount of time from a distance with no physical contact required and not much physical effort (if any) put into it.

Quick and easy for the coward - aim, trigger, BANG! - with none of this nonsense of putting personal effort and risk into making bombs or driving a vehicle into people on a guaranteed suicide run. So the ideal and most preferable tool for ANY killer to use is a gun, and that makes that tool an issue. A crazy, lazy, cowardly killer who might otherwise not have used any other tool (because it's too much effort to use) and may never have killed will feel encouraged to kill and will do so if he has a gun. Because killing and people who kill is the only thing that guns are made for.

It's such an obvious thing. Sat has a blind spot, and can't admit that guns are an issue. On the one hand he says he's for a better system in the US, on the other, guns aren't the problem and the US " doesn't have a gun issue " . His words.

As I've said before, there is a REASON the Vegas shooter used guns, and wasn't throwing down dinner knives. Same with all the mass shootings in the US and elsewhere.

Old 03-10-2018, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Well for whatever reason - mass shooting killers don't seem to be jumping on the pump and lever action firearms to kill scores of kids - they are going to semi-automatic rifles. If what you are saying is true however, and these guns are 'almost' as fast - ban them too!

What? Show me ANY stats that have Ontario having the same murder rate as New York State or Quebec the same as Michigan. Please - show me because you do realize in Canada, Quebec and Ontario represent about 65 percent of the population of the country - so yeah murder rates for the two most populated Provinces vs two most populated border States - New York and Michigan do matter...

Here - i'll make it easy for you..
In 2015 New York State tallied 3.1 homicides per 100K
In 2016 Ontario tallied 1.4 per 100K

In 2015 Michigan State tallied 5.8 per 100K
In 2016 Quebec tallied .80 per 100K

https://www.statcan.gc.ca/daily-quot...71122b-eng.htm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder...tates_by_state

There are more homicides in New York State than Canada and almost as many in Michigan as Canada so NO the most populated border States DO NOT have similar, same or close homicide rates. I discounted PA State because only a sliver of it in the north west borders Canada but its homicide rate is higher than New York and lower than Michigan by a hair so you're not going to get relief from PA.
He doesn't. His experience in Canada is very, very limited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada