Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 06:58 PM

6,424 posts, read 4,917,410 times

Advertisements

First if all I love Canada. My father and love of my life wife, are from there. If it wasn't for Canada I would never have been born or married the most wonderful woman in the world. I do not mean this as a criticism, so Canada Defense League please stand down. We are visiting my wife's family and decided, just for fun, to look at a model home in the Niagara Region in Ontario. Its a bungalow with 1700 sq ft, plus 1100 in the finished basement and many upgrades. I guessed the price at just north of 450k. I was over 250k too low. It was an OK house but nothing special IMHO (I may be jaded by what you can get in Florida for that same amount). Houses in Canada are expensive relative to the USA from my experience (not a criticism but an observation).

From what I understand the longest mortgage you can get here is a 10 year fixed rate and after that the rate can fluctuate. I also understand that the most popular term is 5 years. The amortization is 30-35 years. Isn't there a lot of uncertainty not knowing how much the rate and monthly payments will be over the long term? Is the amount of increase capped?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2018, 01:02 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
The longest mortgage you can get legally is 25 years.

https://www.ratehub.ca/mortgage-term-vs-amortization

However you are correct, most go for 5 years.

Depending on where in Canada you buy, just like the US, the prices differ greatly. For fun, I just randomly chose a town in PEI.

https://www.royallepage.ca/en/pe/oyster-bed/properties/

So cheap housing exists in Canada, it just depends on if you want to live in that part of Canada.

So IMO, your question should be " how do people afford a house in Vancouver or Toronto?" Just like " how do people afford a house in SF, LA or NYC?"

Old 05-20-2018, 02:40 PM

I just realized I misunderstood your question re length of a rate period. Yes, it's 10 years as far as I know. Amortization is now 25 years max, used to be 30.

Old 05-21-2018, 02:38 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
Yes it causes anxiety. No caps on the increase, but realistically the interest rate doesn't go up more than fractions of a point per year in recent history. No there's nothing you can do about it. I remember my parents hopping six month to six month mortgages back when interest rates were in the 20's.

Unlike the US, you don't by points or have ridiculous closing costs. To originate and fund a mortgage is usually covered entirely by the bank, not requiring several thousand dollars out of your pocket to make it happen.

Old 05-21-2018, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Yes it causes anxiety. No caps on the increase, but realistically the interest rate doesn't go up more than fractions of a point per year in recent history. No there's nothing you can do about it. I remember my parents hopping six month to six month mortgages back when interest rates were in the 20's.

Unlike the US, you don't by points or have ridiculous closing costs. To originate and fund a mortgage is usually covered entirely by the bank, not requiring several thousand dollars out of your pocket to make it happen.
You can also shop around when your term is up. A bank wants to keep you as a customer so if you can find a cheaper rate, they will match it.

Of course, the only concern would be if what happened in the past when rates sky-rocketed and people were screwed.

Old 05-23-2018, 11:07 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
First if all I love Canada. My father and love of my life wife, are from there. If it wasn't for Canada I would never have been born or married the most wonderful woman in the world. I do not mean this as a criticism, so Canada Defense League please stand down. We are visiting my wife's family and decided, just for fun, to look at a model home in the Niagara Region in Ontario. Its a bungalow with 1700 sq ft, plus 1100 in the finished basement and many upgrades. I guessed the price at just north of 450k. I was over 250k too low. It was an OK house but nothing special IMHO (I may be jaded by what you can get in Florida for that same amount). Houses in Canada are expensive relative to the USA from my experience (not a criticism but an observation).

From what I understand the longest mortgage you can get here is a 10 year fixed rate and after that the rate can fluctuate. I also understand that the most popular term is 5 years. The amortization is 30-35 years. Isn't there a lot of uncertainty not knowing how much the rate and monthly payments will be over the long term? Is the amount of increase capped?
There are some good questions here; I've had some of the same ones, looking at housing in Canada. How do people pay off a mortgage in 5 years?

But one thing I noticed, is that the vast majority of houses in urban areas seem to have nicely finished basements that are potential rental units, to help with the mortgage. If you compare Vancouver RE with Seattle, for example, the majority of Seattle homes don't have nicely finished basements, or a rental unit in the house, somewhere. Some of that is a zoning issue, and is probably changing. But still, it means in. way, you get more for your money in Van, but you also pay more for the house. But the higher prices in Van are due in part to foreign investment, as we know. Now that the tax laws have been changed to discourage that, the phenomenon has now moved to the Seattle market, so that probably sooner rather than later, Seattle RE prices will catch up to Van. Still not many beautifully finished basements or rental units, though.

Old 05-23-2018, 11:12 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,407,761 times
Vancouver is the only city in Canada where people making the median income can't afford a house. Even a small crappy one.

Old 05-23-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
There are some good questions here; I've had some of the same ones, looking at housing in Canada. How do people pay off a mortgage in 5 years?

But one thing I noticed, is that the vast majority of houses in urban areas seem to have nicely finished basements that are potential rental units, to help with the mortgage. If you compare Vancouver RE with Seattle, for example, the majority of Seattle homes don't have nicely finished basements, or a rental unit in the house, somewhere. Some of that is a zoning issue, and is probably changing. But still, it means in. way, you get more for your money in Van, but you also pay more for the house. But the higher prices in Van are due in part to foreign investment, as we know. Now that the tax laws have been changed to discourage that, the phenomenon has now moved to the Seattle market, so that probably sooner rather than later, Seattle RE prices will catch up to Van. Still not many beautifully finished basements or rental units, though.
They don't.

The term of the mortgage with a particular lender may be five years, or six months, depending on what you decide...up to 10 years I believe. You can also get a variable rate mortgage, more risk. The amortization of the mortgage is usually 25 years.

After your term is up, you can either pay off the remainder without penalty. Unlikely for most people. Or, renegotiate a new term, and even change lenders if someone offers you a better rate. Many pit lenders against each other vying for your business.

As I said, the risk is not knowing what the rate will be in 15 years, but there are all sorts of ways of getting the principal down, like bi-weekly payments instead of monthly.

It must work well overall, since Canadians home ownership is extremely high. Some of the lending rules have changed recently, being stricter on the calculations of what people can afford ( Canada was always fairly strict, that's why we didn't have the issue like in the US where people got mortgages they couldn't afford ) so it will be interesting to see how these new changes affect home ownership.

https://www.bmo.com/main/personal/mo...rtgage-basics/

Last edited by Natnasci; 05-23-2018 at 11:55 AM..

Old 05-23-2018, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Vancouver is the only city in Canada where people making the median income can't afford a house. Even a small crappy one.
Yes Vancouver city is expensive. However, and I've said this a hundred times already, you may be comparing apples and oranges.

For example. The city Toronto is 630 SQ KM. Housing is generally cheaper the further from the centre you go.

Vancouver is 114 SQ KM.

At true comparison would be to extend Vancouver out to the same size of Toronto.

Old 05-23-2018, 11:33 AM

7,681 posts, read 5,530,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
How do people pay off a mortgage in 5 years?
Very few people expect to do so. Every 5 years they renew the remaining mortgage, locking in a new mortgage rate applicable for the next 5 years. So over the course of 25 years they have paid 5 different interest rates.

People tend to spend the maximum they can afford on a new home based on their savings and current salaries. That’s a bad strategy when inflation and interest rates are low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada