Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 08:01 PM

9 posts, read 7,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecOpec View Post

It is much better for the US to focus on their internal market and help their own local producers, instead of sacrificing US-Amercian labor force only because somewhere else it is a little cheaper, while it is also much better for Québec to become more isolated again. More isolation = less globalization = local culture is more preserved = more French & more real Québécois values.
This is true. Free trade has many bad consequences. If I were Quebec, I would also want to keep out crappy American milk and other genetically modified foods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecOpec View Post

I encourage Donald Trump to impose more trade barriers. It's the best, for both his country and Q.
I agree free trade is causing many problems and has many bad consquences. BUT...America is in bad shape not because of Canadian/Japanese/German tariffs. The problems started going back to when Reagan began deregulating everything, commercializing the culture, taking away labor protections, pushing unlimited free trade, building up the military to get involved in harmful wars.

And everyone since Reagan, INCLUDING Clinton AND Obama, have basically continued the same policies. That is the main reason why the US is in such bad shape.

Now Trump is coming along and claiming the US is a big victim of all the other countries, they are taking advantage, boo hoo. Not so. The US has been the most powerful country in the world for decades. Everything that happened to it, it did to itself (9/11 excepted). Including pushing bad free trade policies, that was a big-time American policy goal. Basically every politician in the US agreed on this for 30 years.

Trump is making the real problems worse, while saying others are at a fault. And he's a liar who attacks the free press. Trade does need to be reworked, but Trump is going about it all wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2018, 08:46 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,851,331 times
The complaints about high tariffs have been misleading also. Canada only has that crazy high tariff on a specific type of mile (I think it is finished milk product), they still buy things like raw milk and other dairy. For the German cars, it's only cars that do not have German made parts, which almost all do anyway.

Those may not be the exact specifics (I get tired of looking things up), but it is something like that.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-26-2018, 07:32 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
I thought this was an interesting interview between the previous U.S. ambassador to Canada Bruce Heyman and "Bloomberg Top Line"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMNSQzK883s

Old 06-27-2018, 07:56 AM

7,680 posts, read 5,529,153 times
I wasn’t aware of this:

Quote:
Trump has decried Canada's sky-high tariffs on dairy imports, including from the U.S. But the Canadian government, under Prime Minister Stephen Harper, had agreed to basically end their dairy protectionism in exchange for the U.S. joining TPP. Once the U.S. bailed, Canada pulled the concession.
https://www.axios.com/trump-tpp-orig...22aadbfeb.html

Old 06-27-2018, 08:22 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Very interesting indeed! Neither was I and nor, I bet, are the majority. As soon as Trump bailed on that, China probably had a back room back-patting, toasting session.

The man is so far out of his "village idiot" area of expertise, he's making himself the wrong village's idiot.

Old 06-27-2018, 06:55 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
I remember this. One of the reasons I disliked Harper so much. It would be the end of the dairy industry in Canada.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:03 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,046,591 times
I noticed today that Canada imposed tariffs on Chinese steel.

Does Canada believe in free trade??

Old 06-27-2018, 08:22 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,529,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
I noticed today that Canada imposed tariffs on Chinese steel.

Does Canada believe in free trade??
Free trade is not a religious belief.

Canada believes in mutually beneficial trade agreements. Even free trade agreements have rules and compromises.

Canada has no free trade agreement with China and many other countries around the orld.

Old 06-27-2018, 09:11 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,046,591 times
Quote:
Free trade is not a religious belief.

Canada believes in mutually beneficial trade agreements. Even free trade agreements have rules and compromises.

Canada has no free trade agreement with China and many other countries around the orld.
Thanks for the info.

I noticed that President Trump wanted to get rid of ALL tariffs at the G7 meeting....and nobody agreed to it.

So I guess we are back to negotiating "mutually beneficial trade agreements:.

Old 06-28-2018, 07:15 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Thanks for the info.

I noticed that President Trump wanted to get rid of ALL tariffs at the G7 meeting....and nobody agreed to it.

So I guess we are back to negotiating "mutually beneficial trade agreements:.
He was as sincere about that as Kim was about getting rid of his nukes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada