Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2020, 06:59 AM

346 posts, read 311,190 times

Advertisements

I talked with someone who talked up Halifax to me, and is a proud native of the place, but I happened to tell her that I was depressed in Portland also. I am shocked no one made this comparison as both cities seem alike. She told me that Portland looked like the wannabe of Halifax and how Halifax is what a place like Portland wants to be. But I did hear how the Maritimes had a depressed job economy as well. Toronto and Seattle seem similar, Halifax and Portland do also. Montreal seems like the Miami of Canada. Calgary seems like Dallas. Winnipeg is like I dont know. Vancouver might be its own animal. I know some people from BC seem like in the Boston area, it might be the British connection.

What do people think here about all this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2020, 11:25 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,122,127 times
I've never been able to understand why so many people want to compare cities in one country with cities in other countries. It's as if they think the cities are all goal oriented living individuals with minds and personalities that are in some kind of competition with each other all attempting to be best top dog or "just like" this city or that city or the other city. What is the point of comparison and competition?

No cities are like other cities and none of them have minds of their own so it's not possible for one city to be an envious wannabe that strives to be like some other city. It's only the living, breathing humans who live in them that do any thinking and decision making and who make the cities the structures that they are. The cities are not responsible for how humans perceive the cities and whether or not the humans are happy or depressed with the cities. If humans in cities are happy or depressed with their cities it's the humans who made themselves that way, the cities didn't do it to them.

Old 10-24-2020, 08:49 PM

676 posts, read 652,470 times
I don’t think those associations necessarily work that well. By common reputation Vancouver is more like the LA/Miami, Toronto is the New York and Montreal is the Boston or New Orleans, Calgary is Denver, Winnipeg is the Chicago (lol) and all of those seem silly even as I type them out.

Not really seeing the association between Portland Oregon and Halifax, I thought you meant Portland ME which might work in terms of close proximal geography but I see OP is from Portland OR so... that’s definitely a first I’ve heard, aside from them being Anglo cities that are kind of second third tier within their respective countries and not in a continental climate zone.

Old 10-24-2020, 08:56 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,437,440 times
The person was probably confused. Halifax is not like Portland Oregon. It does have some similarities to Portland, Maine though.

Old 11-06-2020, 09:07 PM

75 posts, read 75,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
The person was probably confused. Halifax is not like Portland Oregon. It does have some similarities to Portland, Maine though.
Probably smoking too much wacky backy. They're trying to make that legal in our country. And nothing, anywhere, is equal to New York City. Nothing.

Old 11-11-2020, 05:40 PM

3,492 posts, read 2,833,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diddlesquat View Post
Probably smoking too much wacky backy. They're trying to make that legal in our country. And nothing, anywhere, is equal to New York City. Nothing.
Oregon just voted to decriminalize stuff like heroin and cocaine.

Old 11-13-2020, 12:16 AM

75 posts, read 75,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
Oregon just voted to decriminalize stuff like heroin and cocaine.
We have our fair share of idiots, and they seem to be concentrated in pockets like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada