Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2023, 01:24 PM

26,872 posts, read 37,997,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Does this mean we'll have carnival in February
That's what I love about you. Always looking at the positive side of any situation.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2023, 01:44 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
Your frustrations are real and I feel them too. The question is, what developed countries are not experiencing these cost of living issues? The US has some affordable cities but for the most part they’re in the same boat. The UK is in worse shape than we are. Australia is basically in the same situation as us but with a different accent. These are global phenomena and Canada has fared better than many places. A change in leadership might somewhat change things but only to a degree. You can’t blame the federal government for all of the difficult things happening here. Canada is not a third world country, the standard of living across the developed world has plummeted in the last 10-15 years and that’s a universal phenomenon
The UK is having the same problems as the rest of the first world yet for some reason it seems to be attracting far more attention, I'm not sure that its in 'worse' shape than any other first world country, the EU for example is in recession the UK is not. The 'attacks' on the UK over the last few years is wholly down to Brexit, to the EU and 'remainers'.

Old 09-22-2023, 02:11 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,090,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Hmm I'm having a hard time believing that the high cost of EV's is mostly due to semiconductor shortages. That said, don't semiconductors go into regular gasoline powered cars? So they have risen in cost too but still - at time of writing in Canada it is 2X the cost to buy the cheapest EV vs the cheapest gasoline powered car. I have a hard time believing that by 2035 the cost would be parallel - I still think it'll be significantly more. So not only is housing costs out of reach but increasingly just buying the most basic vehicle will be as well.

In terms of the carbon taxes. How is it possible to determine all the price increase inputs down the supply chain when it comes to increased fuel costs. At the end of the day-do they cost the consumer more. I think yes. Additionally, the carbon tax increase again in 2030 will not be rebated.

https://www.taxpayer.com/newsroom/ca...%20per%20litre.

I get the cost of climate change. We are already seeing it. That said, Canada contributes very little to this even when we were polluting the most. The fact is - we could be a net zero nation completely right now but it would not move the dial on climate change. One can make an altruistic argument about it, but it will simply not materially change climate change unless everyone is on board with equal vigor across the globe - especially China and India.
I’m surprised you feel this way, fusion. India has I believe 2 or 3X Canada’s emissions despite having 30 times our population, meaning per capita we’d have to reduce our emissions by 90% to be on par with them. China is the highest in numbers for total emissions but again per capita Canada pollutes far more than China. When measuring our total emissions, does it account for emissions from global shipping and industrial supply chains we’ve outsourced to China because much of their emissions are created by producing goods consumed by Canadians and other consumers in developed countries. If we carved up India and China into 30 smaller countries, can they pat themselves on the back for only being the “<2% of global emissions” that climate deniers like the cite? I agree global co-operation is crucial, but as one of the wealthiest countries on Earth we should lead by example

As far as car prices go, I agree with you there’s probably some profiteering involved by car manufacturers much like how Sobeys and Loblaws have profited from price gouging under the name of inflation, but semiconductor shortages have caused massive delays which through supply and demand have caused car prices to skyrocket. I think with increased scale the price of EV batteries will come down significantly in 12 years and would not be surprised if the prices are close to par with ICE vehicles, or at least much more affordable than now.

Old 09-22-2023, 04:18 PM

1,216 posts, read 488,905 times
Quote:
I’m surprised you feel this way, fusion. India has I believe 2 or 3X Canada’s emissions despite having 30 times our population, meaning per capita we’d have to reduce our emissions by 90% to be on par with them. .

Quote:
Dirty air: how India became the most polluted country on earth
https://ig.ft.com/india-pollution/

Old 09-22-2023, 04:47 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,090,748 times
Quote:
I’m surprised you feel this way, fusion. India has I believe 2 or 3X Canada’s emissions despite having 30 times our population, meaning per capita we’d have to reduce our emissions by 90% to be on par with them. China is the highest in numbers for total emissions but again per capita Canada pollutes far more than China. When measuring our total emissions, does it account for emissions from global shipping and industrial supply chains we’ve outsourced to China because much of their emissions are created by producing goods consumed by Canadians and other consumers in developed countries. If we carved up India and China into 30 smaller countries, can they pat themselves on the back for only being the “<2% of global emissions” that climate deniers like the cite? I agree global co-operation is crucial, but as one of the wealthiest countries on Earth we should lead by example

As far as car prices go, I agree with you there’s probably some profiteering involved by car manufacturers much like how Sobeys and Loblaws have profited from price gouging under the name of inflation, but semiconductor shortages have caused massive delays which through supply and demand have caused car prices to skyrocket. I think with increased scale the price of EV batteries will come down significantly in 12 years and would not be surprised if the prices are close to par with ICE vehicles, or at least much more affordable than now.
My mistake India has about 4.5X our emissions. Still with 30X our population that’s 85% less than Canada per capita.

Old 09-22-2023, 05:19 PM

1,216 posts, read 488,905 times

Old 09-22-2023, 06:34 PM

225 posts, read 152,314 times
Thank you for posting these excellent videos redfitehose and Luisito80. I noticed in Luisito's video that the presenter makes the comparison of New Age Canada to a Ponzi scheme. Canada 2.0 is becoming a dystopia and the people who warned of this before 2015 was dismissed crazy or stupid or American.

Old 09-22-2023, 06:42 PM

225 posts, read 152,314 times
The fact that The Telegraph from the UK is reporting about this is also alarming. The old problem of other countries not paying attention to Canada has been solved.

Old 09-22-2023, 06:46 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
That's what I love about you. Always looking at the positive side of any situation.
Thanks A/J. That means a lot to me!

Old 09-22-2023, 06:56 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:

Well I should have also added the U.S to that list of 3. But between those 3 countries alone they contribute almost half the worlds emissions. I want to be clear as well, i'm not advocating not moving towards more and more of a green economy. It is the future, i'm just saying that right now, I don't think the carbon tax is helping Canadian consumers. I think there are other ways we can invest in green innovation. I'm not even talking about scrapping it altogether, but perhaps reducing it a bit would be helpful right now.

I think the reason emissions are increasing in countries like China and India in particular is because of massive populations and a growing/developing middle class. I'm not faulting them for this - however the truth is absolutes matter more than per capita emissions when it comes to climate change. Western demand, sure is part of that but it is mostly just what is going on domestically in those countries in terms of increased domestic consumption.

Per capita values also don't show the whole picture. Canada is a cold country so we are going to consume more than the average peer nation. You can't compare the per cap emissions between developing vs developed nations on a level field either - obviously a wealthier country means consumers will consume more

I'm speaking to this on very basic levels PDW - people are really struggling and I don't think the carbon taxes are helping. The latest carbon tax increase in July is being largely attributed to an increase in inflation in August. The B.O.C thank goodness accounted for this by not increasing the interest rate yet again.

I am concerned about the cost of EV vehicles in 2035. I hope hope hope that they will not be 2X the cost of a gasoline powered car developed in 2034 or it'll just mean that other countries C.O.L will have yet another big advantage over Canada. We may actually reduce our per cap emissions over time - because our economy starts contracting and Canadians becoming poorer. So again - I'm not some climate change denier - at all. I just don't think right now, our current carbon policies and taxation are going to improve the climate change trajectory and may actually just be a contributor to Canadians being poorer and struggling more. People will just move and immigrate to countries that make it more affordable just to live life.

It would be useful if we invested in materials that don't require petrochemicals. That would reduce fossil fuel demand as an example. It could also be an innovation boon for Canada. Throwing money at a problem without focus and balance isn't always the best solution. There are for example plant based alternatives that could be used instead of petrochemicals. It isn't just the materials themselves but how to manufacture such materials and actually make stuff to export.

Last edited by fusion2; 09-22-2023 at 07:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada