Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2023, 02:05 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
We’ll have to agree to disagree on this, fusion. I personally feel the time for action is now and we should make the first moves instead of waiting for others
Well i'm not saying the time is not for action - just a different action but it's ok buddy - can't always see things from the same perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2023, 02:32 PM

7,306 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
We’ll have to agree to disagree on this, fusion. I personally feel the time for action is now and we should make the first moves instead of waiting for others
If you're worried about the cost of living NOW, you haven't really thought about what costs without fossil fuels will be like.

Old 09-24-2023, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
If you're worried about the cost of living NOW, you haven't really thought about what costs without fossil fuels will be like.
Yes.. I think if any one of us could wave our magic wand and be completely carbon neutral and with replacement green options that are cost parallel of course we would. It just doesn't work that way. It is going to take decades and decades to get there.

Old 09-24-2023, 03:45 PM

7,676 posts, read 5,521,274 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Yes.. I think if any one of us could wave our magic wand and be completely carbon neutral and with replacement green options that are cost parallel of course we would. It just doesn't work that way. It is going to take decades and decades to get there.
I don’t think anyone is advocating the complete elimination of oil and gas any time soon. What seems to be most practical is using a basket of energy sources and developing the technology to make some of those sources a lot more practical. I see a bright future for hydrogen for example. Take this British article published in January:

Britain’s Gas Grid to be Ready to Deliver Hydrogen Across The Country from 2023, Energy Networks Announce

Quote:
Energy Networks Association (ENA) has published Britain’s Hydrogen Blending Delivery Plan, setting out how all five of Britain’s gas grid companies will meet the Government’s target for Britain’s network of gas pipes to be ready to deliver 20% hydrogen to homes and businesses acround the country from 2023, as a replacement for up to a fifth of the natural gas currently used. It will also mean that Britain’s fleet of gas-fired power plants will be able to use blended hydrogen to generate cleaner electricity.

The companies are also calling for the UK Government to double its domestic 2030 hydrogen production target from 5GW to 10GW, to ensure that as much hydrogen as possible is produced from sources here in the UK, to better protect homes and businesses from international gas market changes.

Blending 20% hydrogen into the gas grid will reduce carbon emissions by the equivalent of 2.5 million cars a year, without any changes needed to be made to people’s cookers, boilers (furnaces?) or heating systems, ENA says.
I’m tired of countries such as Saudi Arabia holding the rest of the world hostage.

Old 09-24-2023, 04:16 PM

1,216 posts, read 488,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CXT2000 View Post
If you look at examples in our major cities and those in the U.S, it's because people congregate there and they're all drugged up. Same thing with open-air drug sites, it's dangerous for the public and is a health hazard. It does nothing to limit and reduce drug usage and everyone looks like zombies.
Yup you are correct.

Here in winnipeg there is a plan to renovate an area where there is currently a big shopping mall in the heart of downtown right on Portage ave. (Similar location to Eaton centre in Montreal). The current state of the mall is deplorable and attracts alot of crime and drugs, and retail has suffered over the years. There have been serious assaults in and around portage place. The plan is to knock down the mall, and build some new offices, apartments and a health centre. Activists were quick to voice their opinions against the new plans saying they don't take into consideration the people that frequent the area, specially the homeless, drunks and drug addicts etc etc. So basically the developers are forced now to provide two 24 hour drop in centres , street level right on portage with public bathrooms (which will be used as injections sites as they are now). One walk in clinic and one drop in centre for drug addicts. This will not be a safe injection site, but these drop in centres will provide services to drug addicts.....

Now imagine Montreal doing the samething right in the middle of St Catherines where eaton centre is. Portage place already has a major problem with vagrancy and drug addicts. There is a little plaza/park right on the corner where drug addicts and drunks hang out everyday, zombie central. With actual services being provided for them, this will only increase the number of them coming around all hours of the day and night looking for these services. I am not against providing services for people but I am how ever against putting it right on portage. It's like the city has given up on trying to revive business and retail in the area. It's the samethng with the injection sites, we have normalized drug use and have thrown our hands in the air and said, "oh well there is nothing we can do about it".

Old 09-24-2023, 04:37 PM

26,873 posts, read 37,997,315 times
The situation is also starting to get out of control in Ottawa, which is known for being a placid capital city.

For those who can understand French, a Radio-Canada TV reporter did a series on the problems in downtown Ottawa.

Here is the first report. Even if you don't understand French you get a good idea from the images.

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/tele/le-...a-drogue-crise

Ottawa has always had a homeless population but it was limited to a fairly small area. Now it's spreading all over the city.

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/tele/le-...a-drogue-crise

Old 09-25-2023, 12:35 AM

7,306 posts, read 9,314,019 times
So what's the solution to the homeless and/or the drug addicts?

Not sure if there's a safe injection site in Ottawa, Acajack, but if not then clearly that can't be blamed for the spread of homelessness. And if so, do you blame safe injection sites for the addicts and the homeless?

A 2014 study citing Vancouver did find it decreased deaths and HIV etc and seemed to motivate some addicts into treatment centres and did not appear to increase crime. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5685449/

Old 09-25-2023, 06:49 AM

26,873 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
So what's the solution to the homeless and/or the drug addicts?

Not sure if there's a safe injection site in Ottawa, Acajack, but if not then clearly that can't be blamed for the spread of homelessness. And if so, do you blame safe injection sites for the addicts and the homeless?

A 2014 study citing Vancouver did find it decreased deaths and HIV etc and seemed to motivate some addicts into treatment centres and did not appear to increase crime. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5685449/
I just checked and there are at least four safe injection sites in Ottawa.

I think the broad statement that can be made is that the current approach(es) aren't working and things are getting worse almost everywhere.

In Vancouver in particular violence and general unruly behaviour have skyrocketed in the past year or two. While I am not sure if safe injection sites (and a lax approach to drugs in general) are solely to blame, drugs and homelessness are clearly involved in the worrisome decline of social peace there.

Old 09-25-2023, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I just checked and there are at least four safe injection sites in Ottawa.

I think the broad statement that can be made is that the current approach(es) aren't working and things are getting worse almost everywhere.

In Vancouver in particular violence and general unruly behaviour have skyrocketed in the past year or two. While I am not sure if safe injection sites (and a lax approach to drugs in general) are solely to blame, drugs and homelessness are clearly involved in the worrisome decline of social peace there.
More needs to be done to study the links. I suspect though that there are other issues at play that are probably more responsible

Increased number of individuals who have mental health issues - the pandemic exacerbated this.

Cost of living and housing issues are going to put more on the streets and those on the streets are more likely to want to find an escape from their grim reality.

The drugs themselves have changed. They are much more addictive and deadly.

So I think we should be looking more at those issues. Getting rid of safe injection sites will not make these more macro level issues go away.

Last edited by fusion2; 09-25-2023 at 07:31 AM..

Old 09-25-2023, 07:30 AM

Good article on the subject

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...xone-1.6913553

Quote:
For Annie Aubertin, head of Spectre de Rue, the money comes as a great relief, but she says it will only allow the organization to resume its regular operations. She hopes one day Montreal can have a supervised injection site that runs 24/7, which would require much more funding.

"When people come here and use our safe injection site, they don't want to die. They want to be in control of what they're consuming, have support and accompaniment and sometimes we can go further with them," she said.

"These are humans we're seeing, real people, not 'problems.' These people need to be considered as full human beings with full lives, which we tend to forget."

Aubertin said that the money is greatly needed, but so are better housing policies, health care and drug decriminalization.
Quote:
"I'm here to help them, not hide them,"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada