Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2024, 05:50 PM

100 posts, read 93,468 times

Advertisements

Menzies was attempting to interview Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland when her security clearly manufactured a criminal charge in front of cameras.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2024, 05:11 AM

2,393 posts, read 1,561,850 times
i saw that on camera it looked really bad, the Police officer (RCMP I assume) really overstepped the mark, you could almost teel from his eyes he was stressed and more than likely under pressure from above (senior RCMP or possibly Freeland/PMO advisors) to stop that journalist - whilst I dislike Rebel media and don't agree with their politics, journalists have the right to ask questions. Freeland did not need to answer on the street BUT he had the right to do what he did

Old 01-11-2024, 07:48 AM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,091,599 times
It’s a failure of security that Menzies was allowed to get up in Freeland’s face like that, considering that incident where that crazy redneck tried to follow her into an elevator swearing and yelling at her a year ago. There’s no way that he committed “assault”. The officer just panicked I agree. He should be reprimanded as much as I can’t stand Rebel News and the BS conspiracy garbage they spew. Unfortunately I’m constantly shown their content by acquaintances who can’t seem to get enough

Old 01-11-2024, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
It’s a failure of security that Menzies was allowed to get up in Freeland’s face like that, considering that incident where that crazy redneck tried to follow her into an elevator swearing and yelling at her a year ago. There’s no way that he committed “assault”. The officer just panicked I agree. He should be reprimanded as much as I can’t stand Rebel News and the BS conspiracy garbage they spew. Unfortunately I’m constantly shown their content by acquaintances who can’t seem to get enough
I live and work in Ottawa and in the 90s I worked in the same building as a renowned steakhouse (Hy's), very popular with MPs, at least once a week the PM (Jean Chretien) would be there. He walked from the hill to the restaurant, and we would always see him, he would stop and chat with anyone that cared to talk to him, he had staff with him who always kept their distance (maybe some of them were RCMP) Point is the public had access to him and he engaged them. Seems like a different world.

Old 01-11-2024, 08:57 AM

More often than not I'd drive to work and stop at the street light near the City Hall on Sussex Dr and next to me a nondescript Chevy Lumina would pull in with Chretien in the back seat. Now and then I'd see him strolling through the St Laurent cemetery.

Old 01-11-2024, 09:19 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,004,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grotte View Post
Menzies was attempting to interview Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland when her security clearly manufactured a criminal charge in front of cameras.
I wouldn't call that an attempt at an "interview". More like a scrum by ambush.

Of course Rebel News is limited to these tactics because every press accreditation organization including the parliamentary press gallery rejects them as a potential members.

Members of the press with accreditation have access to politicians at briefings and in other more formal settings, so that's where they ask their questions. They need to ambush politicians on the street to do their work.

Old 01-11-2024, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I wouldn't call that an attempt at an "interview". More like a scrum by ambush.

Of course Rebel News is limited to these tactics because every press accreditation organization including the parliamentary press gallery rejects them as a potential members.

Members of the press with accreditation have access to politicians at briefings and in other more formal settings, so that's where they ask their questions. They need to ambush politicians on the street to do their work.
all of this true and she had no obligation to stop and talk, it was evident that she wasn't going to - the security officer made this an incident, he did not need to

Old 01-11-2024, 10:45 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,004,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
all of this true and she had no obligation to stop and talk, it was evident that she wasn't going to - the security officer made this an incident, he did not need to
David Menzies is a shrewd weasel so I am sure he knows the legal limits of how close he can get to a Minister. (At least as well as an RCMP officer knows, it seems.)

As for Rebel News being banned from official press events, I am starting to wonder if this isn't getting a bit counter-productive for the people who want them out of their hair. Maybe give them their accreditation and hold more strictly-moderated press briefings? I dunno.

The argument against them is that they're not serious journalists because what they do is mostly opinion work coming from a specific angle.

Not sure if these days this couldn't arguably apply to some of the outfits who actually have accreditation.

Old 01-11-2024, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
they're not serious journalists because what they do is mostly opinion work coming from a specific angle.

CBC never ever does that. And never speaks in pidgin English no more.

Old 01-11-2024, 11:19 AM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,091,599 times
They’re not journalists in the same way paparazzi celebrity stalkers and harassers TMZ aren’t journalists. Freeland has crazy wackos on Rebel News promoting this idea she’s part of a big new world order conspiracy with the World Economic Forum. They’re exactly the reason she needs security in the first place. They’re responsible for how much promotion the convoy got. They’re not journalists and they don’t deserve press clearances IMO. It’s not a bias against conservatives. The Toronto Sun, National Post, etc have always been allowed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada