Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2024, 12:21 PM

26,873 posts, read 37,997,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post

to protect our capital from American attacks, which Quebec City was too vulnerable.
It's not Quebec City that was seen as vulnerable to American attacks, but Kingston which is very close to the border and was also the capital of Canada at one time in our history.

Quebec City is actually further from the US border (150 km) than Ottawa is (100 km).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2024, 02:52 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,090,748 times
Guess I was wrong about that stuff about Ottawa. You’d know better since you live in the area.

My Fort Frances thing was just a wacky idea in support of Zoisites idea to settle more communities rather than expanding our existing big cities in this country. Toronto doesn’t really need to be the centre of provincial government like other provincial capitals do. It wouldn’t be that big of a hit to Toronto’s economy to move the capital somewhere new. Brasilia was built to replace Rio De Janeiro as the capital, Canberra as well. Right now Indonesia is planning a new capital on the jungle island of Borneo. Wouldn’t be the first time something like that had happened. I am personally more in favour of removing the endless roadblocks to develop Toronto like vetoing NIMBY zoning laws, the greenbelt and reducing minimum setbacks, lot minimums etc but of course that won’t make everyone happy. A lot of people think Toronto is way too big, miss the days when it was smaller and don’t want to see it get any bigger. I’m not one of those people.

Old 03-27-2024, 03:45 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Sounds to me like what you're saying is you'd like to see Toronto turned into a slummy, congested, over-crowded, unhealthy Third World city where sick people will live like rats.

Old 03-27-2024, 04:51 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,090,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Sounds to me like what you're saying is you'd like to see Toronto turned into a slummy, congested, over-crowded, unhealthy Third World city where sick people will live like rats.

I don’t know about third world. Not all big cities are bad places to live. Toronto seems big from a Canadian’s perspective, but it’s really only about the size of Washington, DC or Dallas, Texas. Toronto will have as many people as London, England in 15-20 years I’m betting. We can’t shut the door and say “we’re full”.

That’s just my opinion. If you can’t build up inside the city and you can’t build out outside of the city, you get homelessness, overburdened infrastructure and the problems you’re describing. Canada has made a mistake by not planning for the future and our country as a whole, not just Toronto and Vancouver are suffering for it. North American zoning laws are stricter than they were in the post WWII era, that’s why we’re in the mess we’re in. You can’t build housing at the density that was permitted in the 50s & 60s anymore. That’s why all the small bungalows you see are from that era.

There’s a lot of causes for how we got to where we are in terms of our housing crisis, but besides your idea Zoisite of developing new cities all over the country to take demand away from the major centres, the only way we can get out of it is to build like crazy in the cities we have.

Last edited by pdw; 03-27-2024 at 05:50 PM..

Old 03-28-2024, 07:34 AM

Quote:

Sounds a bit extreme, no?

And how is this related to Toronto's status as the capital of Ontario?

Old 03-28-2024, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
Guess I was wrong about that stuff about Ottawa. You’d know better since you live in the area.

My Fort Frances thing was just a wacky idea in support of Zoisites idea to settle more communities rather than expanding our existing big cities in this country. Toronto doesn’t really need to be the centre of provincial government like other provincial capitals do. It wouldn’t be that big of a hit to Toronto’s economy to move the capital somewhere new. Brasilia was built to replace Rio De Janeiro as the capital, Canberra as well. Right now Indonesia is planning a new capital on the jungle island of Borneo. Wouldn’t be the first time something like that had happened. I am personally more in favour of removing the endless roadblocks to develop Toronto like vetoing NIMBY zoning laws, the greenbelt and reducing minimum setbacks, lot minimums etc but of course that won’t make everyone happy. A lot of people think Toronto is way too big, miss the days when it was smaller and don’t want to see it get any bigger. I’m not one of those people.
I agree that it would be beneficial if Canada spread out its fast population growth more across the country as opposed to concentrating it all in the handful of biggest cities.

Moving a provincial capital may or may not be the way to do that, though. (Note that Montréal and Vancouver aren't provincial capitals.)

Old 03-28-2024, 09:45 AM

1,216 posts, read 488,905 times
Quote:

Much of Toronto is already like that. High rises seem to be the only option for many canadians in many of our cities, going forward. Crowded apartments are being presented as the only opntion, the only way out of the housing crisis despite being the country with the most room and space in the world.

Old 03-28-2024, 06:47 PM

3,970 posts, read 5,762,977 times
Jumping in the conversation here. Numerous cities in the US have established green belts but development of course either skirts or leaps over them. Boston for instance has the Frederick Law Olmsted designed Emerald Necklace (Olmsted also designed Montreal's Parc du Mont-Royal by the way), which is a long ribbon of dedicated park space as well as several large reservations outside of the city limits. These have had limited success in curbing new development and balancing both development and green space. So far, most of these green spaces are intact and will continue to be in the future but that doesn't mean new development will not encroach on these spaces. Canada's green belts are not fully untouched either. The neighborhood of Bell's Corners for instance was developed right inside Ottawa's green belt. You can see for yourself on any street map.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada