Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 10:10 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times

Advertisements

Why is it that Canadians constantly root against the USA in sporting events, even when Canadian teams are not involved? For instance, Ive been watching the IIHF World Junior Championships which are being held in Saskatoon. Yesterday I watched Canada narrowly squeak out a win against the USA in a SO, naturally the crowd was 99.999% Canadian-biased. But today I tune in to watch the USA vs Finland and once again the crowd is 99.999% Finnish-biased. I figured, you know, that maybe our neighbors would root for the USA. What gives? Why do you Canadians absolutely despise everything USA (at least in the sporting world)?

Old 01-03-2010, 10:17 AM

1,391 posts, read 2,646,750 times
Because, America and Canada are sisters and America is the hot slutty bombshell that gets all the action while Canada is the buck-toothed bookworm with Coke-bottle glasses who spends Friday nights at home?

Just takin' a stab at it.

Old 01-03-2010, 10:19 AM

48 posts, read 196,445 times
I am a Canadian living in the US and I think it is mainly a jealousy thing. You have 300 million people to draw athletes from whereas we have only 30 million. Plus, your athletes are paid more and have better training. Thus, most of the time, you win! Since we are such close neighbors geographically and socially, there is a competitive streak and we are totally bunked that most the time you win (and we are still bitter about all the Canadian hockey players going to US teams for $$$ and now the cup will prob. never be back in Canada).

Old 01-03-2010, 10:52 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gammarayburst View Post
I am a Canadian living in the US and I think it is mainly a jealousy thing. You have 300 million people to draw athletes from whereas we have only 30 million. Plus, your athletes are paid more and have better training. Thus, most of the time, you win! Since we are such close neighbors geographically and socially, there is a competitive streak and we are totally bunked that most the time you win (and we are still bitter about all the Canadian hockey players going to US teams for $$$ and now the cup will prob. never be back in Canada).
Even for hockey though? Canadian hockey players are generally paid higher than Americans (NHL-level) due to talent, so that alleviates the whole higher-paid/more talent argument. I just dont get it. If it was Canada vs, say, Sweden here in Chicago, most of the crowd would cheer on Canada, but we dont get the same respect from Canadians abroad. I just find it odd, thats all.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:38 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,856,245 times
Because it's obvious there's somewhat of a rivalry between the Canadian and American hockey teams.. plus the US is the only real threat to Canada in the IIHF championship anyways, so they'd obviously want to see the US fail against the opposing teams.

Old 01-03-2010, 02:56 PM

106 posts, read 336,444 times
Honestly I think most of it is just plain simple rivalry! The Americans have an excellent Junior Hockey Team (again this year) and most Canadians sense that they are the "real" opponent and not the Russians as they used to be. Even though the Canadians usually win those head-to-head battles against the US it's still an excellent matchup and no one can say the games are boring. I think people should check their political affliations at the turnstiles BEFORE they enter the rink. Politics and sports should never go together but there will always be those who feel strongly for whatever reason and take it out at a sporting event. Personally I would never root for an Eurpoen team over the US but I am only one Canadian. In the past we've had anthems being booed at some NHL based cities during the playoffs which is totally disrespectful and down right tasteless. Montreal and Philadelphia are both examples of how not to behave at a sporting event!

Old 01-03-2010, 05:16 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,811,439 times
Default Just my 2 cents

Many Canadians feel there's very little difference between Americans and us Canadians, which can foster confusion for a Canadian's national identity.
It's far easier to dwell on our differences as a way to "feel Canadian", a way to stir artificial pride,
because otherwise many of us see ourselves as "like Americans, but without ..."
Usually the people who bash 'Americanisms' come across as somewhat insecure.

Even the Olympics, yes Canadians will be competing with the world, but many Canadian spectators/viewers will probably be thinking
"...If a Canadian gets a gold in "X", that will show Europeans or Asians that we are better than Americans at this particular event..."

Old 01-03-2010, 05:22 PM

741 posts, read 2,781,092 times
Canadians usually root against the US in sport because the US wins... EVERYTHING.....

Old 01-03-2010, 05:39 PM

106 posts, read 336,444 times
smakawhat wrote:

"Canadians usually root against the US in sport because the US wins... EVERYTHING....."

...except in hockey!

Old 01-03-2010, 05:45 PM

981 posts, read 806,320 times
Canada is awesome.

That's why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada