Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 01:56 PM

128 posts, read 177,682 times

Advertisements

Last month I went for my yearly skin check and she thought a spot on my face, upper lip area needed to be biopsied. It was a pinkish spot very innocent looking. I didn't think much about it. She called it is cancer (basal cell) I was shocked! Now I have to go through surgery, called MOHS where they like peel the skin off layer by layer and look at it under microscope to make sure all the cancer is gone. I'm scared! I'm having this done Thursday. Has anyone else had this procedure done?

Old 02-02-2016, 02:13 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Yes, I've had it done, and so have my dad and five of my six siblings. It is really not a big deal. It takes a while (I was in the office for most of an afternoon, and had to come back the next day to be stitched up), but is not painful and doesn't leave much of a scar. Don't worry too much. On a cancer scale of one to ten, a small basal cell carcinoma is zero.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:15 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkat42207 View Post
I'm having this done Thursday. Has anyone else had this procedure done?
Here's another thread about it: Mohs Surgery

Old 02-03-2016, 01:46 PM

128 posts, read 177,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Here's another thread about it: Mohs Surgery
Thanks for this thread, CA4Now it looks like it will help me out a lot. Also, thanks to saibot for your response. I'm feeling less anxious about it all. thanks

Old 02-29-2016, 04:34 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,581,715 times
Had MOHS done on my ear this past January. Piece of cake.

Old 05-04-2016, 11:05 AM

958 posts, read 2,132,455 times
I have three spots on my neck that are being removed on the eighteenth of this month (May.)
I'm also going through prostate cancer treatment the dermatologist however said they weren't related.

Old 06-03-2016, 11:45 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,525,630 times
Basal cell is a slow growing cancer that has virtually zero chance of metastasizing. I have a basal cell lesion that I simply keep an eye on & I'll remove it if it starts getting larger (ie. my type is small and pearly, not at all disfiguring, but obviously there is a wide range in types of basal cell lesions). Mohs is common. Don't worry about this at all! After the follow-ups I would see your dermatologist on an annual basis to monitor for other lesions, though. And wear sunscreen.

Last edited by west seattle gal; 06-03-2016 at 11:55 PM..

Old 06-04-2016, 08:55 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
Basal cell is a slow growing cancer that has virtually zero chance of metastasizing. I have a basal cell lesion that I simply keep an eye on & I'll remove it if it starts getting larger (ie. my type is small and pearly, not at all disfiguring, but obviously there is a wide range in types of basal cell lesions). Mohs is common. Don't worry about this at all! After the follow-ups I would see your dermatologist on an annual basis to monitor for other lesions, though. And wear sunscreen.
I was a little surprised the OP was having such a treatment because, as you say, basal cell is not thought to be a big deal, but who are we to judge her doctor I guess. I notice she never came back to let us know how things went. I do hope she is OK> I too have had several basal cell skin cancers, at best the doctor just takes them off in the office. In fact I bet many of us have parents that had skin cancers, they just never went to a doctor to get anything checked.

Old 06-04-2016, 10:12 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
I had a patient who ignored his basal cell carcinoma on his face due to dementia. Turned into a rotten, stinking mess. He wandered around the country, no family, no one to give consent to surgery. He got put into a secure facility, don't know what happened.

Old 06-06-2016, 02:54 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I was a little surprised the OP was having such a treatment because, as you say, basal cell is not thought to be a big deal, but who are we to judge her doctor I guess. I notice she never came back to let us know how things went. I do hope she is OK> I too have had several basal cell skin cancers, at best the doctor just takes them off in the office. In fact I bet many of us have parents that had skin cancers, they just never went to a doctor to get anything checked.
I agree. I had a cyst on my scalp removed, the derm said it was basal cell (but I think otherwise). They cut it out pretty deep, but still wanted me to come back for the MOHS. I decided against it. The cons far outweighed the pros of this procedure for me. I just keep an eye on it and if I see a problem starting I will go back. I really don't believe I will have a problem though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer