Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 03:10 PM

1,956 posts, read 4,876,135 times

Advertisements

Radiation or Chemotherapy?

My dad has a mass on the tail of the pancreas and it might be cancer. The doctor suggested him to get laprascoptic surgery or just the chemo alone. There are also some spots on the liver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 01:14 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,274,703 times
Default Been there

Find the best oncologist in your area and follow that doctor's suggestions. Take a look at the information at the John Hopkins web page and log onto their discussion group. Ask questions. There are a lot of us who are willing to answer.

Our Pledge to You

Read everything at Pancan and send for their information packet.

Pancreatic Cancer Action Network | no cost patient support, information, resources

Don't wait - do it now!!!!!!!

My husband has pancreatic cancer. Take it from me, you are in for a long, difficult, and, sometimes, heartbreaking time.

Old 10-11-2011, 02:49 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
Usually it starts with the whipple procedure where they operate on the pancreas.

That being said it is a combination of radiation and chemo. But physicians can offer the best advice and course of treatment. It will be a long painful heartbreaking trip.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:33 PM

My dad is ready for this. Hopefully his cancer isn't severe and this is over with asap.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:40 AM

Default Sorry, Tony 22

Pancreatic cancer is always severe; no such thing as minor. My husband was one of the lucky ones - his was 1B and he was able to have the Whipple procedure before chemo and radiation. From what I have seen, this is not the norm.

The Whipple is one of the most complicated surgeries there is. Major rearrangement of internal organs. The incision starts below the breast bone and goes to the belly button. After surgery - multiple drainage tubes and a feeding tube. DON'T TAKE THIS LIGHTLY! There can be post surgery complications with fluid, weight loss and infections. My husband went from 209 lbs to 143. He is just now completing his chemo. By the way, the chemo will also cause problems. We were told up front that the only good thing about the chemo is that it kills the cancer cells before it kills the patient.

There is no return to 'normal'; only the creation of a new 'normal'. Trust me, this is nothing to play around with.

Get moving and get a GOOD doctor.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony22 View Post
My dad is ready for this. Hopefully his cancer isn't severe and this is over with asap.
Any cancer is severe. And Pancreatic cancer is one of the worst kinds of cancer. 5 year survival is rare. I am not trying to sound harsh.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:48 AM

My dad just had a biopsy and the doctor also put a port in it. He is doing really well. He doesn't have any symptoms related to this cancer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Any cancer is severe. And Pancreatic cancer is one of the worst kinds of cancer. 5 year survival is rare. I am not trying to sound harsh.
Why though? I don't get it.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:54 AM

Default Tony22

Pancreatic cancer is called the silent killer. Usually someone is at stage 3 or 4 before any symptoms appear. What stage is your father at?

Old 10-12-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post
Pancreatic cancer is called the silent killer. Usually someone is at stage 3 or 4 before any symptoms appear. What stage is your father at?
Not sure. He just had a biopsy today.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post
Even with early detection two years is about the extent. Often the treatment at first will show progress, then the cancer makes a comeback and treatment becomes ineffective.

Why? Not sure why. If we did we could come up with better treatments and improve life and survival. there are exceptions, they are rare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer