Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 04:04 PM

948 posts, read 920,650 times

Advertisements

I was looking at the following map
State Cancer Profiles

Cancer is more common in some parts of the country than others.

Can anybody suggest a reason for this? What do high cancer states have an abundance of that low cancer states don't?

Or could this be due to people moving to other states for treatment after being diagnosed with cancer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 05:55 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,257,083 times
Different states have different ethnic mixes, prostrate cancer- ex. given- is more prevalent among African Americans. Other diseases are more popular with other ethnic groups.

Further, natural features like radon, and industrial and mining, varies between the states as well. Different kinds of industry can increase the prevalence of different kinds of cancer.

Old 11-11-2014, 06:31 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,088,888 times
Wow, how could one even begin to guess? There are so many different kinds of cancers, and so many different causes.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:54 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,257,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
Wow, how could one even begin to guess? There are so many different kinds of cancers, and so many different causes.
Good point, drinking and smoking rates, as well as diet, vary between the states, different foods, tobacco, alcohol all contribute to or help to prevent different kinds of cancer.

Actually, it would be really surprising if the map didn't show any differences.

Old 11-12-2014, 02:28 AM

124 posts, read 211,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlarnla View Post
State Cancer Profiles

Can anybody suggest a reason for this? What do high cancer states have an abundance of that low cancer states don't?

Or could this be due to people moving to other states for treatment after being diagnosed with cancer?

People get exposed to different carcinogens and different levels of carcinogens in different states.

Back East for example there is a higher exposure to DDT. Even though DDT was banned a long time ago this powerful xenoestrogen takes 100 years to break down in the soil In parts of the country where paper mills exist there is more exposure to cancer causing dioxins. In agricultural areas the exposure is primarily herbicides and pesticides. In Hanford Washington there is a higher rate of thyroid cancer from the government's radiation experiments on the surrounding population. In Southern Nevada and Utah the cancer rates tend to be higher primarily from the residue of radioactive fallout from the nuclear tests at Yucca Flat.

Old 11-12-2014, 04:25 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,611,349 times
If not already said, it seems lower latitude = less cancer. The sun & increased intake of vitamin D, I bet. Just a theory but plausible, if anyone agrees.

Old 11-12-2014, 05:30 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,684,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
If not already said, it seems lower latitude = less cancer. The sun & increased intake of vitamin D, I bet. Just a theory but plausible, if anyone agrees.
I have heard this before, and I agree, if only because I am a cancer survivor and my doctors, both surgeon and oncologist, were very concerned about getting my vitamin D up to a healthier level. People in the South are more likely, everything else being equal, to be getting enough sun.

That theory doesn't explain everything, of course, such as the lower cancer rates in North & South Dakota or the high rate in Louisiana. But overall, the map shows a very noticeable correlation between lower latitudes and less cancer.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:17 PM

124 posts, read 211,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
You are only referring to one cancer.

And sunlight does not cause cancer. Skin cancer has been linked to human papilloma virus. The virus is activated by sunlight. This is why everyone exposed to a lot of sun do not get skin cancer.

In addition, sun exposure increases anti-cancer vitamin D levels.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:25 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,611,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hveragerthi View Post
You are only referring to one cancer.

And sunlight does not cause cancer. Skin cancer has been linked to human papilloma virus. The virus is activated by sunlight. This is why everyone exposed to a lot of sun do not get skin cancer.

In addition, sun exposure increases anti-cancer vitamin D levels.
I said that. I meant that if you view the trend on map, it'll show that ALL cancers (vitamin D is implicated in immune boosting, hence less cancers in all types) are reduced w/ access to sunshine -- via this lower southern latitude. Yes, LA is deep south & eats fried grits & cajun fried, as does most of the s.east US, but despite this bad diet they have overall better rates than most industrial-revolution areas that were toxicified w/ pollutants in soil/air/wayer, etc. in the overcrowded n. east/mid-atl regions of US. (Notice the west tends to drop in cancers of all kinds & the s.west = ample sunshine daily & even lower drops in rates, & so lowest rates of ALL cancers in the US is here). Coincidence? I think not.

Again, trend favors sun to reduce ALL cancers not skin though, if over-dosed to it, I agree. Yes, skin goes up in south latitudes if over-exposed but then again, ALL meds have a toxicity & like meds, a therapeutic dose of daily sun is like a dose of proper amount meds. If too much, then not a desired response & disease/unhealthy findings occur. If too much then overload occurs, & so it is w/ meds ingested, or sun dose exposed to. Hope this clears that up.

Old 11-16-2014, 04:39 PM

222 posts, read 238,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlarnla View Post
State Cancer Profiles

Environment, pollution. That's all. The state map is not very accurate. You need to look at the cancer cluster maps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer