Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 11:03 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,905,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
There is some research that suggests that reducing protein intake may be beneficial. The trick is to do it while avoiding malnutrition.

The acidity or alkalinity of food makes no difference. No matter what you eat, the body tightly regulates its acid/base balance.

There is no "mucus" in the lymphatic system. There is nothing to "detox" and get moving again. Lymphatics can become disrupted, but if that happens you have a problem that will not be fixed by diet.

Iridology? Really?

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/iridology/

About Robert Morse, N.D., D.Sc., I.D., M.H. – GrapeGate

"Dr. Morse holds a Doctorate of Science in Biochemistry and a Doctorate of Naturopathy from the Brantridge Forest School in Sussex, England."

Brantridge Forest School is a diploma mill.

While we are at it, let's hear it about naturopathy:

The shocking confessions of a naturopathic doctor
Quacks know there is a sucker born every minute.

Old 03-17-2016, 07:03 AM

26,721 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
there is a sucker born every minute.
Yes.
A Critical Look at "Dr." Robert Young's Theories and Credentials

Old 04-21-2016, 09:14 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,306,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale212 View Post
In one week I will mark my 12th anniversary as an endometrial cancer survivor Prior to my diagnosis I enjoyed great health, ate a pretty healthy diet, and was athletic my entire life. A little over a year before my diagnosis I had a major traumatic life event which was the sudden death of my 49 year old husband. At that time my life turned upside down emotionally and physically. I ate poorly and infrequently, I slept poorly and infrequently, and I grieved so bad I actually felt physical pain from it. During this difficult I also had to work in a stressful job (nursing) to support myself. I have no doubt that all of the above created the vulnerability that led to my cancer diagnosis. And I also have no doubt that had I not been in good emotional and physical health prior to my cancer diagnosis I may not be here today contributing to this thread.

Nightengale - My husband died in August of 2010 and eight months later I was diagnosed with breast cancer. I have heard that severely traumatic events can lower our immune systems and cause any cancer cells to become active. It certainly sounds reasonable to me and for awhile I was on a breast cancer support group online and it was amazing how many women had similar stories about the link between a severe trauma and cancer.

Glad you are doing well after 12 years, I was released last week from having to see my oncologist anymore.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:18 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,306,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
And, I have no doubt that anecdotes are not statistical evidence.
I was a happy go lucky guy and got colon cancer. So, my anecdote counters yours.
How about citing some scientific evidence?

Look at my previous post ^^. I also developed cancer 8 months after my husband died and in the support group I was attending online, many other women had also had a severe trauma before being diagnosed. It makes sense scientifically that during times of extreme emotional stress that your immune system is compromised leaving your more vulnerable to cancer.

Old 04-21-2016, 12:05 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
It appears that stress alone does not cause cancer, though coping with stress might perhaps lead to behaviors that can increase the risk of cancer.

Psychological Stress and Cancer - National Cancer Institute

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/822088

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale212 View Post
In one week I will mark my 12th anniversary as an endometrial cancer survivor Prior to my diagnosis I enjoyed great health, ate a pretty healthy diet, and was athletic my entire life. A little over a year before my diagnosis I had a major traumatic life event which was the sudden death of my 49 year old husband. At that time my life turned upside down emotionally and physically. I ate poorly and infrequently, I slept poorly and infrequently, and I grieved so bad I actually felt physical pain from it. During this difficult I also had to work in a stressful job (nursing) to support myself. I have no doubt that all of the above created the vulnerability that led to my cancer diagnosis. And I also have no doubt that had I not been in good emotional and physical health prior to my cancer diagnosis I may not be here today contributing to this thread.
Endometrial cancer is hormone driven, and the fact that it was diagnosed when it was has more to do with your age than with stress. Chronic stimulation of the endometrium by estrogen not opposed by progesterone is the culprit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
My husband died in August of 2010 and eight months later I was diagnosed with breast cancer.
Your breast cancer had been present for several years before it was diagnosed:

How Long Have I Had My Cancer, Doctor? | Cancer Network

"As an extension of Collins’ law, our graphs of local recurrence data suggest that the typical age of a cancer at diagnosis is approximately 5 to 6 years for breast cancer, and 3 to 4 years for lung cancer and rectal cancer."

I am glad both of you are doing well.

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 04-21-2016 at 12:28 PM..

Old 04-23-2016, 09:41 PM

22,839 posts, read 6,435,820 times
I had a neighbor who was as healthy as a horse, as they say, never sick..I was frequently getting ill and
thought she was lucky..she got breast cancer at 41 and was dead in a year (this was back in the 70's)
Her husband, who drank and smoked way too much, is still alive. You just never know....

Old 04-24-2016, 12:16 AM

4,541 posts, read 1,159,271 times
The sad thing is he is right but you are also right by eating healthy. Keep doing what you're doing and pay no attention to him.

Old 04-25-2016, 10:05 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Look at my previous post ^^. I also developed cancer 8 months after my husband died and in the support group I was attending online, many other women had also had a severe trauma before being diagnosed. It makes sense scientifically that during times of extreme emotional stress that your immune system is compromised leaving your more vulnerable to cancer.
The most stressful, traumatic time of my life was all found during the 5 years that I was misdiagnosed. During that time, my parents both lost their jobs within a week of each other, I was raped, moved cross country to a very competitive college, studied abroad in 3 different countries including one program that I left early due to sexual assault, and had an incredibly difficult time finding a job while graduating in the middle of a recession.

Using my own experience, I could say that stress SLOWS DOWN the growth of cancer considering that people live an average of 2-3 years without treatment for my cancer. I lived more than 5.

Anecdotes are just that.

Old 04-26-2016, 06:37 PM

7 posts, read 7,166 times
Something to quell your worries everyone, Cancer under the age of 50 is fairly uncommon in the general population. The "Beetus" is the number one killer in the west and has been for the last 20 years.

Old 03-25-2017, 05:53 AM

26,721 posts, read 26,798,919 times
"Every new case of cancer depends on a collection of specific mutations in our DNA, and a sweeping new study finds that 66% of the mutations that put us at risk for cancer are the result of unavoidable errors made by cells as they copy themselves millions of times throughout our lives."

‘Bad luck’ with random DNA errors is responsible for two-thirds of cancer mutations, study says - LA Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer