Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 07:52 PM

1,850 posts, read 3,016,150 times

Advertisements

He said:

I heard a coworker say this and more than likely it was directed towards me. He's a fat slob, that smokes.

I thought it was very stupid. Everyone in my department knows I am a health oriented person in terms of eating. Out of 12 of us, I am the only one that eats healthy.

"You can be healthy all of your life and develop cancer......" Essentially he was justifying why he doesn't take care of himself

As if cancer is the only health issue a person can incur for unhealthy eating habits.

Last edited by Rocco Barbosa; 12-17-2015 at 08:30 PM..

Old 12-17-2015, 08:07 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
You're definitely more likely to get cancer if you're obese.

I wouldn't worry too much about what he said, it sounds more like he was justifying his own bad habits. Wait a few years and they'll catch up with him. When you're younger and you suddenly lose a lot of weight, people ask what you did, but by the time you're about 40 and you lose a lot of weight, people ask what you have instead.

Old 12-17-2015, 08:42 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,199,216 times
There is probably some truth to what he said. A person can be healthy all of their life and get cancer. I have witnessed it. Not saying it is not good to be healthy though. When a person does get cancer, being healthy may increase the chance of surviving it.

See the article below. There is some evidence that indicates people who live longer had birth mothers with a lower age. If your mother was 25 years old, or less, when she gave birth to you, you may live longer. Older birth mothers have older eggs.

Our genes and the circumstances surrounding fertilization of the mother's egg and the age of the birth mother may play a more significant role in how long we live and if we get cancer. Chromosome abnormalities may play a larger role than we ever realized.

Centenarians Explain Their Secret to Happiness and Longevity

Based on years of data from studying centenarians, Barzilai reports that when analyzing the data from his particular pool of centenarians, at age 70:

37 percent were overweight
8 percent were obese
37 percent were smokers (for an average of 31 years)
44 percent reported only moderate exercise
20 percent never exercised at all

Old 12-17-2015, 08:45 PM

1,850 posts, read 3,016,150 times
His point was: "why eat healthy, since you're going to die of something"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk View Post
There is probably some truth to what he said. A person can be healthy all of their life and get cancer. I have witnessed it. Not saying it is not good to be healthy though. When a person does get cancer, being healthy may increase the chance of surviving it.

See the article below. There is some evidence that indicates people who live longer had birth mothers with a lower age. If your mother was 25 years old, or less, when she gave birth to you, you may live longer. Older birth mothers have older eggs.

Our genes and the circumstances surrounding fertilization of the mother's egg and the age of the birth mother may play a more significant role in how long we live and if we get cancer. Chromosome abnormalities may play a larger role than we ever realized.

Centenarians Explain Their Secret to Happiness and Longevity

Based on years of data from studying centenarians, Barzilai reports that when analyzing the data from his particular pool of centenarians, at age 70:

37 percent were overweight
8 percent were obese
37 percent were smokers (for an average of 31 years)
44 percent reported only moderate exercise
20 percent never exercised at all

Old 12-18-2015, 07:51 AM

165 posts, read 241,299 times
In my opinion, we should do what makes us happier. If eating healthy makes us feel good/happier, then we should do it. If we are happy with a sedentary lifestyle, it's still okay. In either case we should be prepared to take any health issues that come our way and shouldn't repent for what we lived.

I have seen people who smoke all their lives live hale and healthy up to 80 years. At the same time, I have seen people who never smoked dying in 50 years due to cancer. Cancer still seems to be mystery.

Staying healthy may or may not have correlation with cancer, but for sure it has correlation with other diseases such as diabetes, blood pressure, heart problems etc.

Old 12-18-2015, 10:58 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
The real point though is people who don't die right away from whatever their problem is, and have to live with the complications for 20 or 30 years, like blindness or amputations from diabetes, dialysis, expensive meds that have to be taken for the rest of your life, or people who spend several years dying from their cancer, often in pain. If you could eat/drink/smoke whatever you wanted and when your lifestyle caught up with you, you were guaranteed an instant, painless death, that wouldn't be that bad. It's the years of living with the effects of whatever you did to yourself that are going to suck, and people who've never had any major health issue don't usually understand that.

Old 12-21-2015, 06:19 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,330,347 times
Quote:
I wouldn't take it personal. Yes, you can be healthy all of your life and develop cancer. I would believe those people could have some sort of genetic predisposition. It comes down to probability and percentages and if you increase unhealthy habits, your likelihood of cancer (you name the disease) also increases. And yes we are all going to die, some quicker than others, that's a given, I guess your co-worker is just trying to end his life earlier!

I still find it astonishing today, when you have people who treat their bodies like garbage and figure that their doctor will be some sort of "miracle-worker" and be able to help "cure" them, when the damage has already been done.

Old 12-22-2015, 03:27 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,080,358 times
Quote:
He said:

I heard a coworker say this and more than likely it was directed towards me. He's a fat slob, that smokes.

I thought it was very stupid. Everyone in my department knows I am a health oriented person in terms of eating. Out of 12 of us, I am the only one that eats healthy.

"You can be healthy all of your life and develop cancer......" Essentially he was justifying why he doesn't take care of himself

As if cancer is the only health issue a person can incur for unhealthy eating habits.
In one week I will mark my 12th anniversary as an endometrial cancer survivor Prior to my diagnosis I enjoyed great health, ate a pretty healthy diet, and was athletic my entire life. A little over a year before my diagnosis I had a major traumatic life event which was the sudden death of my 49 year old husband. At that time my life turned upside down emotionally and physically. I ate poorly and infrequently, I slept poorly and infrequently, and I grieved so bad I actually felt physical pain from it. During this difficult I also had to work in a stressful job (nursing) to support myself. I have no doubt that all of the above created the vulnerability that led to my cancer diagnosis. And I also have no doubt that had I not been in good emotional and physical health prior to my cancer diagnosis I may not be here today contributing to this thread.

Old 12-22-2015, 08:43 PM

314 posts, read 400,865 times
Quote:
He said:

He is almost right. He should have said "You can be healthy all of you life and MIGHT develop cancer......"
After all, genetics is one of the causes of cancer. However, the chance of you getting cancer without genetic cause is much less than his.

Why even concern about what he said? You are reaping the benefits of being healthy already. Enjoy!

Old 12-24-2015, 10:52 PM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times
Default Data are your friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale212 View Post
. I have no doubt that all of the above created the vulnerability that led to my cancer diagnosis.
And, I have no doubt that anecdotes are not statistical evidence.
I was a happy go lucky guy and got colon cancer. So, my anecdote counters yours.
How about citing some scientific evidence?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer