Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 07:13 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times

Advertisements

My Dr. wants me to see a Urologist to get a cystoscopy procedure done. This is because I have blood in my urine. I think the blood in my urine is a side effect of my recent Diabetes II diagnosis....and the atorvastatin I was prescribed along with the metformin and glipizide drugs also prescribed at the end of July this year.

I discontinued the atorvastatin (Lipitor) because I think the blood in my urine is a side effect. My Dr. thinks it could be bladder cancer because I am a smoker. I'm scheduled for a CT scan in a few days....ordered by the Urology Dept before they would even make an appointment for me.

I am not totally averse to having the CT scan but am worried that I am following a drastic path when it could be something that will pass. I've been off the atorvastatin for 2 weeks and a day. Less blood, but still there.

I'm torn as to whether I should proceed with the CT....or if I should wait a bit longer to see if the blood in my urine subsides.

I am worried about having such drastic procedures done in the face of possibility of this being a side effect of the atorvastatin.

Has anyone been through this procedure. Any suggestions or experiences would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 09:05 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,338,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
My Dr. wants me to see a Urologist to get a cystoscopy procedure done. This is because I have blood in my urine. I think the blood in my urine is a side effect of my recent Diabetes II diagnosis....and the atorvastatin I was prescribed along with the metformin and glipizide drugs also prescribed at the end of July this year.

I discontinued the atorvastatin (Lipitor) because I think the blood in my urine is a side effect. My Dr. thinks it could be bladder cancer because I am a smoker. I'm scheduled for a CT scan in a few days....ordered by the Urology Dept before they would even make an appointment for me.

I am not totally averse to having the CT scan but am worried that I am following a drastic path when it could be something that will pass. I've been off the atorvastatin for 2 weeks and a day. Less blood, but still there.

I'm torn as to whether I should proceed with the CT....or if I should wait a bit longer to see if the blood in my urine subsides.

I am worried about having such drastic procedures done in the face of possibility of this being a side effect of the atorvastatin.

Has anyone been through this procedure. Any suggestions or experiences would be helpful.
Why are they concentrating on the bladder? They should rather check your kidneys. Ask for an ultrasound of the kidneys to check for kidney stones and a complete urine analysis, also for calcium. Backache is often indication for some kidney problems. Good luck, keep us updated, thanks.

Old 10-05-2016, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rent.in.nyc View Post
Why are they concentrating on the bladder? They should rather check your kidneys. Ask for an ultrasound of the kidneys to check for kidney stones and a complete urine analysis, also for calcium. Backache is often indication for some kidney problems. Good luck, keep us updated, thanks.
Thank you. The blood work done 2 weeks ago indicated that my kidneys and liver were functioning normally.
When I asked about kidney stones during my visit Mon. I felt the Dr. sort of discounted my kidney stone question. She did say that CT scan won't always pick up kidney stones.

I am feeling a bit overwhelmed by all this push for procedures that may be totally unnecessary.

I am weighing putting off the CT as my urine is clearing up. I really instinctively feel that it is a side effect from the statin.

Thank you for the suggestion, I think an ultra sound sound like a more feasible second step.....rather than right to the cystoscopy.

I will keep updating.

Old 10-05-2016, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Thank you. The blood work done 2 weeks ago indicated that my kidneys and liver were functioning normally.
When I asked about kidney stones during my visit Mon. I felt the Dr. sort of discounted my kidney stone question. She did say that CT scan won't always pick up kidney stones.

I am feeling a bit overwhelmed by all this push for procedures that may be totally unnecessary.

I am weighing putting off the CT as my urine is clearing up. I really instinctively feel that it is a side effect from the statin.

Thank you for the suggestion, I think an ultra sound sound like a more feasible second step.....rather than right to the cystoscopy.

I will keep updating.
Thanks God your urine is clearing up, most probably due to the meds and nothing wrong with your bladder. I would skip the bladder CT, too. Just wait and do nothing until your body cleared up the meds, totally. Did your backache subside, too?

Something else:

Once I ate a big portion of beets,. When I peed I looked and my pee was bloody red!!! WTH? Next day it was gone.

My doc told me that beets color the urine red, oh my, that was a relief! Never knew that before.

Did you happen to eat some beets lately?...:-D))

Old 10-05-2016, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rent.in.nyc View Post
Thanks God your urine is clearing up, most probably due to the meds and nothing wrong with your bladder. I would skip the bladder CT, too. Just wait and do nothing until your body cleared up the meds, totally. Did your backache subside, too?

Something else:

Once I ate a big portion of beets,. When I peed I looked and my pee was bloody red!!! WTH? Next day it was gone.

My doc told me that beets color the urine red, oh my, that was a relief! Never knew that before.

Did you happen to eat some beets lately?...:-D))
No, but I was drinking lots of cranberry juice when they put me on the antibiotic trying to make sure it wasn't a uti.

Yes, the backache is gone for two days.

I am seriously considering putting of the CT, since the urine is looking clearer, and then possibly having another urine test in the near future to make sure.

Dr's really do not like to agree with you when you think it is a side effect. And, while I appreciate the concern for other possibilities....I worry about extreme tests and procedures if less invasive procedures can be utilized first. Especially since the whole scenario is because of something that is subsiding.

Thank you for your suggestions and concern. I really appreciate your posts.

Old 10-05-2016, 10:10 AM

Quote:
No, but I was drinking lots of cranberry juice when they put me on the antibiotic trying to make sure it wasn't a uti.

Yes, the backache is gone for two days.

I am seriously considering putting of the CT, since the urine is looking clearer, and then possibly having another urine test in the near future to make sure.

Dr's really do not like to agree with you when you think it is a side effect. And, while I appreciate the concern for other possibilities....I worry about extreme tests and procedures if less invasive procedures can be utilized first. Especially since the whole scenario is because of something that is subsiding.

Thank you for your suggestions and concern. I really appreciate your posts.
Welcome, and thanks, you will be fine, you are already, almost!...:-D)

Old 10-05-2016, 10:14 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
CT scans are not invasive. You could get that done and hold off on the other.

Old 10-05-2016, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Yes, correct ^^^^

Old 10-05-2016, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I understand they aren't. but, the only reason it was suggested is because of the urethra which looks to be subsiding. It is very expensive even with insurance.

I'd hate to go through a CT, and have to have another at a later date. What I am seriously considering is canceling the one for Fri. and waiting to talk to the Dr. I have been seeing when she is back from vacation after the 12. I'd really like to explore the other suggestions such as an ultrasound of the bladder and kidneys.

I was waiting for a culture they did Mon. to check that their is no infection, something that would be necessary prior to a cystoscopy.....haven't heard back yet.

I think I'd prefer to wait, have another urinalysis to make sure if the blood has subsided and have another blood test that would rule out kidney stones....which hasn't been done either.

I hate feeling so indecisive, I have never been indecisive where other's are concerned....But, all this stuff is so new, it really makes you feel helpless within the medical system.

I appreciate all your posts very much.

Old 10-05-2016, 11:07 AM

Quote:
I understand they aren't. but, the only reason it was suggested is because of the urethra which looks to be subsiding. It is very expensive even with insurance.

I'd hate to go through a CT, and have to have another at a later date. What I am seriously considering is canceling the one for Fri. and waiting to talk to the Dr. I have been seeing when she is back from vacation after the 12. I'd really like to explore the other suggestions such as an ultrasound of the bladder and kidneys.

I was waiting for a culture they did Mon. to check that their is no infection, something that would be necessary prior to a cystoscopy.....haven't heard back yet.

I think I'd prefer to wait, have another urinalysis to make sure if the blood has subsided and have another blood test that would rule out kidney stones....which hasn't been done either.

I hate feeling so indecisive, I have never been indecisive where other's are concerned....But, all this stuff is so new, it really makes you feel helpless within the medical system.

I appreciate all your posts very much.
No, you are behaving very well, sure you are worried and cautious.
But, as the other poster said, a CT scan is not invasive, it is just an outward scan, it would help diagnose the condition of your kidneys. A cystoscopy is rather invasive, you are right to postpone that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer