Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 08:04 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,749,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
I have a friend that smokes some sort of cigarettes that are just tobacco that have indians on them. Why don't more smokers smoke these? My husband doesn't like to discuss the topic as most smokers he gets kind of uptight and angry
Ah yes, American Spirits.

I don't smoke much, only a few cigs a day. A pack lasts a week for me...but when I smoke, I smoke American Spirit ultra-lights.

No nasty addictive, poisonous chemicals....as a matter of fact, when I switched to them, my cigarette consumption dropped significantly. I coughed up yucky stuff for two days when I went off of the Marlboros to the American Spirits--but there is an obvious difference in the two.

I think that the chemical laden cigarettes make you want to smoke more often and leave you feeling less satisfied. I'm only smoking about one cigarette every three to four hours with the American Spirits as opposed to a pack of Marlboros a day.

Don't tell the name brand ciggie companies--they'll do to American Spirits what the auto makers did to the Red Car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 06:14 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,212,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Good for you. Of course, I don't agree with you but would not think of forcing you to start smoking again because I do. I hope you won't join forces with those who would force me to STOP smoking because they don't.
No, I don't think I will become "one of them"... To each his own.

I mainly posted here because I am hoping that if I put it out there for all to see, I may be less likely to start again..... There are a number of CD family members who are merciless in throwing things back up in your face once something has been posted, so I thought I would use that to keep me honest- LOL

Old 12-15-2009, 06:52 AM

71 posts, read 50,727 times
I think we sould give more cigarettes to republicans

Old 12-15-2009, 07:21 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpenny View Post
I think we sould give more cigarettes to republicans
I would say the same about liberals, however I like to think I would have more class and tact than you and your statement.

Having lived through cancer I wouldn't wish that disease on anyone for any reason.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:23 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
No, I don't think I will become "one of them"... To each his own.

I mainly posted here because I am hoping that if I put it out there for all to see, I may be less likely to start again..... There are a number of CD family members who are merciless in throwing things back up in your face once something has been posted, so I thought I would use that to keep me honest- LOL

Thanks. I was afraid you might be one of those worst types: A "reformed" smoker.

But, we could use your support now that cigarette smoking has moved beyond a health issue to one of civil rights.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:02 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,859,373 times
Quote:
Well, then, how about pictures of fat people with their clothes off on Big Mac's and Whoppers? How about pictures of blocked arteries on pre-cooked and processed foods? How about graphic pictures of damaged lungs from exhaust fumes with every new car? Maybe we could include a free video about diabetes with every 5 lb bag of sugar or Snickers bar.

If it deters just one person from making unhealthy choices, why not? It would be WELL worth it, wouldn't it?

Sound silly? Why? What's the difference?
Good point. I have also had avid pot-smokers try to tell me that pot smoke is "harmless" but cigarettes are just horrible.

Of course, when I asked them if they would want their child riding around in a car with someone who was just finishing off a big fat doobie - suddenly, the harmless label comes off!

One might want to check out their own vices before pointing others' out.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:08 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,166,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Most smokers of cigarettes never consider what's in their cigarettes or they wouldn't smoke 99% of the band name cigarettes. An all tobacco cigarette is such a different animal that most smokers say they are to strong due to not having chemicals that mask the natural harness of tobacco.

As to your husband.... Well, he's probably like every other smoker who has to deal with a world of morons and know-it-alls who just can't keep their mouths shut about tobacco or smoking. These idiots never consider that once the legal precedent is established with tobacco they will be next for anything the nannys want to outlaw.
yea, and I notice the morons and know-it-alls get more obnoxious the more alcohol they consume

Old 12-15-2009, 01:15 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,698,696 times
Quote:
Well, then, how about pictures of fat people with their clothes off on Big Mac's and Whoppers? How about pictures of blocked arteries on pre-cooked and processed foods? How about graphic pictures of damaged lungs from exhaust fumes with every new car? Maybe we could include a free video about diabetes with every 5 lb bag of sugar or Snickers bar.

If it deters just one person from making unhealthy choices, why not? It would be WELL worth it, wouldn't it?

Sound silly? Why? What's the difference?

Totally agree with you on this one I cannot stand these fast food places and you won't find me eating this crap,however, I think smokers tend to eat this crap and smoke so you are just adding two bad things on. I do agree with you about the pictures of Whoppers and all! I hope you take a stand AGAINST processed foods.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:29 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
Kind of like the pictures of nasty crashes they show in drivers ed class that show the perils of drinking and driving, speed, or not using your seatbelt? Oh yes those pictures are really effective.

Old 12-15-2009, 05:38 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,698,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjl78 View Post
Kind of like the pictures of nasty crashes they show in drivers ed class that show the perils of drinking and driving, speed, or not using your seatbelt? Oh yes those pictures are really effective.
Good point I still remember them and always always wear my seat belt even when moving my car in the driveway which is probably not needed, but, a huge habit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer