Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2007, 08:28 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times

Advertisements

Ok. I feel as though I need to rant about this topic. This IS the automotive section.. and insurance falls under that. SO!

I drive a 2005 Ford Focus ZX4. It was a graduation gift from my father. It's not paid off yet.. but it soon will be. I used to drive a POS that my father paid liability only on.

Thing is, I have to have full coverage insurance. My father has full coverage on his Durango. He pays about 300 every 6 months even though he had 4 accidents last year (2 of which were because the doctor messed up his meds... but still)

ME. I've been driving since 16. I'm 20 now. FOUR YEARS. Yes, that's a small number for older people.. but since the day I got my license until now - not a SINGLE accident. Not a SINGLE ticket for ANY REASON. Heck, I've never even been pulled over.

Why am I paying over $1600 every 6 months for the same insurance as my father. I was told that it was because I'm a "young female." I was also told it was worse for young men.

I talked to my buddy who works at Geico. He said that if a 40 year old and an 16 year old get their FIRST LICENSE on the SAME DAY and drive the SAME vehicle, the 16 year old will pay more than 6x that of the 40 year old.

Simply because of age. Is that not discrimination based on age??

Sorry, I just wanted to rant about my insurance.... anybody else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 09:19 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
Ok. I feel as though I need to rant about this topic. Simply because of age. Is that not discrimination based on age??

Sorry, I just wanted to rant about my insurance.... anybody else?

LOL - you are "ranting" about something that just about everyone here can relate to -

What you are experiencing is lawful - in all 50 states. Like it or not, your age group, as a group, has some of the worst ratings there are - tickets (speeding, reckless driving) - accidents - some very major (a person your age in my state was recently involved in an accident - crossed the center line and collided head on with another car - killed the two occupants of that car and the young driver was killed too ----- she was "texting" on her cell phone -
When you hit 25, you should see some reduction in your rates.

BTW, if you have not already done so, take a defensive driving course in your state - some insurance companies give you a break with that. If you are in school -- keep your grades up -- again, you might get a break

Be patient though -

Old 08-28-2007, 09:45 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
LOL - you are "ranting" about something that just about everyone here can relate to -

What you are experiencing is lawful - in all 50 states. Like it or not, your age group, as a group, has some of the worst ratings there are - tickets (speeding, reckless driving) - accidents - some very major (a person your age in my state was recently involved in an accident - crossed the center line and collided head on with another car - killed the two occupants of that car and the young driver was killed too ----- she was "texting" on her cell phone -
When you hit 25, you should see some reduction in your rates.

BTW, if you have not already done so, take a defensive driving course in your state - some insurance companies give you a break with that. If you are in school -- keep your grades up -- again, you might get a break

Be patient though -
I know that, collectively, as a group, my age bracket have the worst track record for driving. A lot of insurance companies have gotten rid of the "good grades discount" simply because they proved that having good grades doesn't make you a good driver.

I didn't mind the huge amount at first because I had JUST gotten my car and was out of the POS (which was given to a friend who had it totalled by a granny who hit the accelerator instead of brakes)

But, I think the companies should at least reduce it a little at a time (like my dad's insurance does..) Even with no accidents or tickets, my insurance rate has done nothing. I've checked out a couple of other insurance companies... (E-Surance wanted 3000 every six months)

Question:

Where does the insurance company think most kids get the money to pay these ridiculous amounts? I mean, their entire paycheck MUST go to insurance! That, or gas.

I guess I'm just lucky enough to be able to have my own place and afford this ridiculous amount..... I swear, they should re-imburse some of this back after a certain period of time....

Old 08-28-2007, 10:05 PM

2,218 posts, read 5,395,705 times
I know what you mean. When I first started driving my liability was outrageous. Even when I got older some of the amounts were higher during certain seasons. It was like wow this is garbage.

The insurance company doesn't care where people get their money, just as long as they receive it when you have to pay it.

But yes, being a young male, I know how much higher insurance can be. Even with many different discounts.

Old 08-28-2007, 10:19 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
I talked to my buddy who works at Geico. He said that if a 40 year old and an 16 year old get their FIRST LICENSE on the SAME DAY and drive the SAME vehicle, the 16 year old will pay more than 6x that of the 40 year old.
Bottom line is there's more to it than just driving experience. There's also "world experience." You have a lot more of it when you're 40 than when you're 16 (or 20 for that matter), and you tend to make better, less risky decisions. That sounds patronizing to every 16-year-old; but every 40-year-old was 16 once, and they understand the big difference between a 16-year-old mindset and a 40-year-old mindset better than a 16-year-old does because they've lived through both.

Old 08-29-2007, 05:06 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
these folks are right. i'm 19 (a young MALE), had my license since march 07, drive an 01 accord, no accidents, my insurance is $930 every six months (lets be honest 155 a month). I know if you are financing the bank wants full coverage on the car. my advice would be to search for the best deal you can get with another insurance company. Allstate would have been $2k every six months. I basically got quotes from every insurance carrier in the DC area. i settled with State Farm. I'd check Nationwide out also too, second cheapest quote i got. Driving school also helps too. Also where you live may have something to do with it. I know in some parts Hampton Roads and in some parts of DC and prince Georges county, MD youll pay more if you are in a high auto theft area and a big metro area. So just do a little digging, i cant say that you will cut that $1600 into 800 but you will more than likely find a better deal.

Old 08-29-2007, 09:39 PM

1,076 posts, read 3,553,364 times
The insurance company takes on the risk when they agree to write your policy, in transfering that risk from you to them there's that thing called a premium and is based on age, sex, location, driving history, credit history, make model and year of vehicle, and in your case all the risks are somewhat high, but in a year or so then i think when girls turn 21 there rates get reduced a bit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance