Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 04:20 PM

240 posts, read 452,249 times

Advertisements

I am a first time driver and I want to buy a used Honda for sale in my town. Can I go ahead and pay for the insurance before I buy the car so I can drive away with my car with the insurance in tow?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 04:25 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,758,648 times
You can get a quote on it if you have the VIN. The Ins. Co. will store that quote until needed. Once you have title in hand then you can contact thr Ins. Co. and then they will activate it. They usually will take a CC over the phone as first payment.

Old 06-18-2012, 04:32 PM

19,132 posts, read 25,341,241 times
Since insurance rates are based, in part, on the make, model, and model year of a car, it would be impossible for anyone to issue a "general" car insurance policy on a car of unknown ID. And, of course, you can't get a policy on a car that you don't actually own.

However, if you follow NeilVa's advice, you can do as much of the pre-purchase legwork as it is possible to do, thereby streamlining the underwriting process once you do actually own the car.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:01 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,538,276 times
Couldn't he get insurance without owning a vehicle and then change or adjust the policy when he purchases or leases a vehicle?

Old 06-18-2012, 05:36 PM

44,634 posts, read 61,638,098 times
Call an insurance company and tell them what you mentioned and they will have a policy waiting for you when you sign the papers. You call them immediately and you're covered.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:29 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
All of the above. They cannot issue a policy without a VIN number for the car, and if used and you want collision/comprehensive or have a loan, they will have to see the car within a day or two to verify no previous damage that
you might try to get them to pay for. For a fist time insured you can expect the cost to be at least as much as the car
payment.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:10 PM

240 posts, read 452,249 times
But I'm buying the car in cash from a seller not a dealership. I found a car I like that has a private owner.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:24 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,717,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
All of the above. They cannot issue a policy without a VIN number for the car, and if used and you want collision/comprehensive or have a loan, they will have to see the car within a day or two to verify no previous damage that
you might try to get them to pay for. For a fist time insured you can expect the cost to be at least as much as the car
payment.
Never had to do this. I call state farm, give them the VIN and I'm good to go. Done with a used car and a used motorcycle. I've never had to show them the car and I'm covered as soon as I make the phone call to them.

To answer the OP, insurance companies need the VIN of the car you buy. Can't cover you until they have it.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 7.7 using Tapatalk 2

Old 06-19-2012, 06:41 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,153,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mee9mee9 View Post
But I'm buying the car in cash from a seller not a dealership. I found a car I like that has a private owner.
You are still going to need the VIN number to get a policy. Doesn't matter who you buy the car from. Have the seller give you the VIN#, call your insurance and tell them you want to start coverage on whatever day you have agreed to close the deal. Or as others have mentioned just have them save the information and call them that day to begin coverage.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:46 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,275,785 times
Check with your insurance agent, details of insurance requirements vary by state. In some states you can buy insurance retroactive up to six months, although I would advise against it. This would apply only to claims, it doesn't get you off the hook if you live in a state that requires proof of insurance.

The advice you've received is good. Give the vin to your insurance company ahead of time and tell them you plan to buy the car, and as soon as you close the deal and get ready to drive away give them a call and tell them you're getting the car. If you're dealing with a local agent that you or your family has done business with before they will probably give you a couple of days to come in and settle up; if you're dealing with someone like Geico they will probably take a card over the phone as payment as someone else stated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance