Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 11:01 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,675,618 times

Advertisements

would active insurance and registrations be evidence of active driving? also can one DMV get nationwide info on states where a motorist has been licensed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 11:16 AM

106,598 posts, read 108,757,383 times
they don't go by "active" driving only that you show insured. they just assume you are driving.

my wife does not drive at all. she has a license for 35 years , she can drive but chooses not to.

she has always been insured though as a co driver on someone elses policy.

her insurance company sent her a letter of commendation at 30 years for having a perfect record. her continuity of insurance for emergencies has her rate so low as to barely be a factor on my policy.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:22 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,675,618 times
thats hilarious!!

Old 01-11-2014, 11:42 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,064,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
I agree with the first part of that sentence but how would the insurance company know someone is "not" driving? As long as the OP has a drivers license he/she could be driving someone else's car on a policy with a different company. As long as the OP is licensed the company can't assume he/she is not driving.
Many years ago i had a company car. When I left that job, got myself a car again, my broker said because I hadnt been insured directly for over a year I would have to go back to assigned risk. Luckily I had a clean driving record and he was able to place me with a company that would not through me in the assigned risk pool because of the clean record.

Old 01-11-2014, 03:16 PM

106,598 posts, read 108,757,383 times
Omg you reminded me. My friend owned a long island car dealer ship. He sold the dealership after 35 years of ownership and when he applied for his own insurance they threw him in the risk pool as he never had insurance in his own name.

Old 01-11-2014, 03:57 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,097,944 times
I had insurance with Geico for many years. In 2010 I got rid of my car since I only used it a few times a month. Ever since then Geico has sent me regular mailings asking me to please come back to them. It has been over 3 years and the notices arrive in the mail every few months. Check your junk mail and you may find the same.

Old 01-11-2014, 04:45 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,757,973 times
Geico sucks get an Allstate agent.

Old 01-11-2014, 04:54 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,578,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
...I also don't think a person with a good driving record and in their 30s would need to go into the assigned risk pool...
It doesn't make sense, but it does happen. Happened to me years ago.

OP -- price it out. Ask Geico for a quote on what it would cost you for insurance if you came back to them 12 months from now vs. less than 6 months. The savings might be significant to stay with them, but you won't know until you get a quote.

Old 01-11-2014, 07:11 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,870,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Omg you reminded me. My friend owned a long island car dealer ship. He sold the dealership after 35 years of ownership and when he applied for his own insurance they threw him in the risk pool as he never had insurance in his own name.
This is true in some states. I know in Texas, if you don't currently have insurance and you try to get it, they give you a surcharge on your rates. Happened twice to a relative. He bought our van on payments and we kept the insurance on it until he paid it off. But because I did not list his name on the policy, when he got insurance in his name, they hit him with a surcharge. It also happened when he accidentally let his policy lapse for a week. They hit him with a surcharge again, even when he checked with a different company. I guess it is to try and encourage people from driving without insurance, which is common in Texas.

We've been with State Farm for over 30 years, and one thing that gives us is guaranteed renewals. They will not cancel us, but I'm sure they can and would raise my rates a lot if we had several claims.

So I would make sure you won't get a surcharge if you go beyond the 6 month period if you plan on getting a car soon. If you end up deciding to not get a car soon, then the surcharge might be cheaper than keeping a liability only policy on yourself in the meantime.

Old 01-11-2014, 07:14 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,407,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
Ive been with Allstate since 1992 and about a decade ago i had some bad items on my credit which are now gone. my agent told me at that time as long i remained with Allstate id be grandfathered under the old system (where they didn't look at credit report items) and as long as i remained with Allstate id continue to be grandfathered under the old system. also i just received a new policy where im paying 50% less per year on my car premiums due to my good driving record (paid $2400 down to $1200 per year for my new Toyota) so perhaps it pays to remain with the same company
Interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance