Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What was the PRIMARY factor in your choice of car insurance?
Cheapest premiums/rates 8 36.36%
Most entertaining commercial or info I learned from their commercial 1 4.55%
I just bundle with my homeowner's/ renter's insurance with a company I trust 5 22.73%
Best customer service/ coverage of claims 3 13.64%
Other (explain) 5 22.73%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 02:15 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,902,469 times

Advertisements

I was talking with some friends recently about how there are so many auto insurance commercials on these days, and how they seem to be competing not just for their customers, but for who can have the funniest or wittiest commercials. Some companies like Geico even have multiple ad campaigns going on all at one time (the gecko, the pig, the "everybody knows that," the rhetorical questions). On some commercial breaks on a TV show, you might get 3-4 auto insurance ads.

I was saying that I can't believe that anyone actually buys their car insurance because they liked a commercial. The only time a commercial actually ever "worked" on me was a food commercial that made something look so delicious I decided to try it.

Someone else was saying that a lot of people do buy their insurance in response to commercials, citing some fact that Geico is like #2 in the industry now, just because of their commercials. Others said they thought people just go with the lowest rate (I'm in PA but the rest of the people are from NJ, and this attitude is pretty common in NJ). I was saying that too many people probably go with the lowest rate, but then they are hit with poor service or poor coverage just because they went cheap.

I've had the same car insurance company for about 15 years, and I stay with them because I get a deal by having my homeowners insurance with them too. Plus, my car insurance premium seems to go down every year, so why switch? I've never had a claim in that time, so I'm sure State Farm is happy with me too. I can't imagine going with a different company every year or two, just because of a clever commercial or because of a lower premium (with possible lower coverage).

Have you every bought your car insurance just because you liked a commercial? Do you go for the cheapest rate? Or do you go with better coverage, better service and a better respected company. If you did choose based on the commercial or the cheap rate, were you happy with the company afterward if you ever needed them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 02:38 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,656,809 times
When I bought my first house in 1983 the seller was a former teacher, so she had her homeowner's insurance through Horace Mann. Although we get a package discount we have occasionally shopped our car insurance around, but Horace Mann is pretty hard to beat, and we get (or got) a discount because of my wife being a teacher.

Incidentally, I'm always amused at those commercials (I think they're from GEICO) touting the average amount saved by people who switch carriers. Isn't it obvious that pretty much everyone who switches realizes a savings? Why else would you switch?

Old 03-23-2015, 04:35 PM

922 posts, read 1,149,281 times
Commercials work on me in that I become aware of them and end up getting a quote from them. But ultimately, I go with whomever has the lowest rate.

I remember calling Geico because of their "15 mins could save you 15%" commercial back in the 90s... but they were 3x the lowest rate so no go. But now they are the lowest so I did end up with them.

Mercury also has promos like free sports tickets and gift cards for getting a quote, which I take advantage of.

Old 03-23-2015, 08:18 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
We went with an agent & company recommended by a family member, have changed agents since (moved) but same company 40 years now. As for TV ads, would you get insurance from this guy that advertises on TV around here:

Fonk Tube - Vern Fonk Insurance

Old 03-23-2015, 08:19 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Not much choice..........just one company would insure a well drilling company in Michigan.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:35 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
My first wife said: my dad is insured with AMICA and they are good.
45 years later, I still agree.

Old 03-26-2015, 03:26 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,830,649 times
That's not how advertising works. It isn't to make you go out and buy whatever they are advertising because they had a great commercial. Advertising works over time, they're creating a brand that you know of and sounds reputable. So when you're in the market for that item, you remember the company that sells it, what the product does, and how good it is claimed to have worked. You don't remember the commercial itself.

When you go to the grocery store, what brand of cereal are you going to buy? Cheerios or the brand you've never heard of called Loop-Rings. If the off brand is priced much cheaper, you might buy it. But 9 times out of 10, you're buying Cheerios. That's how advertising works.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:42 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
I picked the company base on their claim paying ability and reputation. In the grand scheme of things, when you need the insurance you want them to be on your side, not your enemy. You want them to stand by their products with no hassles. You want them to pay what is fair and equitable without all the game playing over valuation and appraisals. Sure this may cost a few dollars more, but when I evaluate the insurance, I'm not looking for lowest price, cheap, low this or that, I'm looking at high quality service and product at a fair and reasonable price.

Old 03-27-2015, 08:34 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,902,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
I picked the company base on their claim paying ability and reputation. In the grand scheme of things, when you need the insurance you want them to be on your side, not your enemy. You want them to stand by their products with no hassles. You want them to pay what is fair and equitable without all the game playing over valuation and appraisals. Sure this may cost a few dollars more, but when I evaluate the insurance, I'm not looking for lowest price, cheap, low this or that, I'm looking at high quality service and product at a fair and reasonable price.
I agree! It just seems like a lot of people who tend to be the ones to file claims, also tend to be the same people going for the cheapest. In NJ, there is some standard for minimum coverage, and I'm shocked at how many people just buy that minimum, unless they are financing a car and they're required to get higher coverage. Even in my 20s when I had a pretty low salary, I always at least bought middle-of-the-road coverage, because I wanted to be treated well if I ever had a claim. I wonder how helpful Flo and that damned gecko are when people actually file claims?

Old 03-27-2015, 11:20 AM

922 posts, read 1,149,281 times
I've always insured through the cheapest insurers I could find (Geico, Esurance, Progressive etc) and they've all been excellent when it comes to handling claims. And none of them jacked up my rates even though couple were my fault.

So I wouldnt just dismiss an insurer only based on how cheap their rates are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance