Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2016, 02:08 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,699,800 times

Advertisements

Here's the setup
I haven't owned a car in over 20 years and will need to buy one shortly for retirement. In the past whenever I needed a car I would rent one for a day and pay the outrageous rental car insurance amount. I will be moving to my new home and will need a car from day one, but I don't want to be rushed into buying one for a couple of weeks or a month.
Is there some type of insurance policy I can get (not from the rental agency) that will cover the rental car until I make my car purchase?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 04:18 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,246,115 times
Yes. Talk to your insurance company about getting a "non owned policy". That will cover you when you are driving vehicles that you do not own.

Old 02-10-2016, 11:20 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Yes. Talk to your insurance company about getting a "non owned policy". That will cover you when you are driving vehicles that you do not own.
Yep! It can be a little hard to find a company who sells those policies, as of a few years ago Dairyland was selling them

Old 02-11-2016, 12:00 AM

3,378 posts, read 9,208,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire in MB View Post
Here's the setup
I haven't owned a car in over 20 years and will need to buy one shortly for retirement. In the past whenever I needed a car I would rent one for a day and pay the outrageous rental car insurance amount. I will be moving to my new home and will need a car from day one, but I don't want to be rushed into buying one for a couple of weeks or a month.
Is there some type of insurance policy I can get (not from the rental agency) that will cover the rental car until I make my car purchase?
While it would be unfortunate to total a rental car without insurance you are worried about the wrong thing. Liability.

Since you don't have personal car insurance you have zero liability coverage.

So what if you total a $15,000 car but create a multi million dollar liability situation because of your accident.

While you can get the car covered by using the right credit card you still need liability coverage which might be offered by the rental agency.

Old 02-11-2016, 07:33 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
I just found this on the Clark Howard site, check it out- it looks really good for the OP https://www.insuremyrentalcar.com/#0

It doesn't cover liability but that could be managed with a non-owner policy.

Old 02-14-2016, 02:42 AM

1,088 posts, read 1,463,484 times
As a former agent (and still licensed, but working in a different part of the insurance industry), I would advise the following-

Contact at least wo Independent Insurance Agencies to get a quote on a "Non-Owned Auto Policy'". The agents will have access to numerous insurers and some of them should offer this type of policy. That will cover your liability.

For physical damage to the rental vehicle, you should use a credit card that provides rental car coverage for free! Youi may already have one, but if not, I know that most Chase VISA cards include this feature. You must rent the car with that card and follow all of their rules (most exclude luxury and exotic cars, some exclude anything valued over $50k,etc; they usually put limits on the duration of the rental (max of 15 or 30 days) but you can always return it and rent another one if you reach the time limit). When the rules are followed, the credit card insurance usually pays without much hassle.

Just my two cents!

Old 02-14-2016, 10:03 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,572 posts, read 81,167,557 times
I used to pass on the rental company insurance, but after talking to my regular car insurance agent, I will get it when traveling. The reason is that your insurance will not cover the "loss of use" which rental agencies now charge for damaged vehicles. In other words, the renter has to pay not only the repairs, but also the rental money the agency loses while the car is in the shop being repaired. If the body shop has to order parts, that can be a huge amount.

Old 02-15-2016, 03:51 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
If you have an Amex card, look into signing up for their rental car insurance program. For around $25-$30, you get very good coverage for 30-40 days per rental. See this thread for more discussion on the issue: http://www.city-data.com/forum/car-i...surance-3.html

Old 02-15-2016, 03:59 PM

902 posts, read 1,104,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire in MB View Post
Here's the setup
some credit cards cover their customers in rental cars

you may already be covered... for the deductible (that's all you need)

the rental car counter clerk is not a clerk... they are a commissioned salesperson

their job is to upsell you, prepaid gas, insurance, gps, even a model upgrade... the car already has insurance, it's the law in all 50 states.. you are only on the hook for the deductible, same as you would be for your personal car

every time i book a rental car i request a sub-compact.... when i get to the counter they offer me a great deal on a mid-size.... i say no and end up with the midsize anyway cause they don't have any sub-compacts at most locations

crooks

then they push the insurance and all the extra crap the get paid on... just say no

call your credit card companies and find out which if any cover your use of a rental car..... many do

their "add-on" policy will only cover the deductible... and only if it's NOT covered by another policy (your auto insurance or Credit Card member services)

the last time i rented a car the "clerk" pitched the guy in front of me about being responsible for the deductible and he fell for it and bought the policy...... I then asked him how much his deductible is on his car at home.... he had no idea

Last edited by azsportpilot; 02-15-2016 at 04:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance