Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 08:41 AM

14,481 posts, read 20,667,037 times

Advertisements

What is your auto policy premium history going back a couple years.

We have two vehicles with Allstate
Early 2016 six month premium was $320.
Next payment for 6 months went up 15% to $373.
Next payment for 6 months due this month is $455 or another increase of 18%.

They say we are getting every discount they offer except some smart phone application. Agent says it is because our state is the 2nd or 3rd worst state in the entire country for bad drivers. I question that.

What company do you use and what are your premiums and discounts going back a couple years to see % increases.

Here are our discounts per vehicle:
a. multi policy, preferred package* and good payer. ($76)
b. multi policy, preferred package, good payer, anti lock brakes, premier plus* ($134)

No idea what the * are.
They said multi car and pay in full and bank draft discounts were included in the above.

Miles per year is under 6000 and they said the threshold for mileage was 7200 and under and that 1000 miles a year would not get a larger discount than 6500 miles. 7200 and under means 0-7200.

Companies we know as possible for a switch would be:
State Farm, Nationwide, Farm Bureau, Geico, Travelers.

We priced those before (but it has been 2-3 years) and there were no savings over what we pay now, or the difference was minimal vs. switching over. We've filled out questionnaires for Geico and they are not cheaper than Allstate though they imply they may be on TV every day.

Last edited by howard555; 01-13-2017 at 10:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 08:21 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
I just paid mine, with State Farm for two drivers, 3 vehicles. We have been with them since 1974, and have discounts for longevity, accident free, multi car, and multi line. We live in a suburban city with very little crime. For 6 months it was about $800, for the 2007, 2013, and 2014 all with full coverage including uninsured motorist, comprehensive, collision $250 deductible, rental car and road service. Two are priced at under 10,000 miles, the other 15,000. Ours was actually a few dollars less in November than in May, and I cannot compare to 2015 because we added a car last December. Two are eligible for another possible discount with their OBD device but we passed on it.

Old 01-14-2017, 08:12 AM

4,948 posts, read 18,699,483 times
All State has a Drive Wise program which would give you another dis-count. I did a switch to Liberty Mutual since they do it yearly. They also gave a dis-count on where you work and free accident forgiveness.

Old 01-14-2017, 09:20 AM

Yes they have a Drive Wise program or something similar. But you have to go with much higher coverages to get the cash back check.

$320 Jan. 2016 and $455 Jan. 2017 is a 42% rise in a year.
Incomes are going up maybe 2%.
Another increase and we'll be up to $1000 a year for car insurance which includes all their tricky discounts. so we are out of possible discounts.
Allstate won't let you pay for a year either. Friends have Travelers and pay a full year. That at least locks in the price for 12 months. They say their increases are around $50 a year.

Allstate has too many companies under the umbrella.
1. Allstate Fire and Casualty Insurance Company
2. Allstate Insurance Company
3. Allstate Indemnity Company
4. Allstate Life Insurance Company
5. Allstate Property and Casualty Insurance Company

We'd guess auto insurance might be under Allstate Insurance Company and home owners under
#1 or #5. Not true, our car insurance is #1. Fire and Casually does not sound like auto.

We were told we could get lower premiums by swithing to another if their companies (1-5). But we'd have to cancel and go elsewhere and come back in 6 months to have our policies under one f the other Allstate companies. That is a bunch of BS.

We did price with State Farm online and it came out to $297 vs. $455. Fairly sizable difference. It is like Allstate says (by fibbing) or thinks our state is #2 or #3 in the country for bad drivers and State Farm does not. The bad drivers premiums should go up more to offset the increases we get. 42% a year is ridiculous.

Then the matter of a claim on home owners. Which od the major companies are going to try to hide when you have a claim for fire damage. High premiums may or may not get you the company with the best claim service when there is a claim.

Old 01-14-2017, 09:26 AM

1,650 posts, read 1,116,218 times
I'll let you in on a secret. They all go up over time. To save money, you must shop around every 2-3 years. Hint: when they ask you stupid questions like occupation and education, it's your choice to be honest. If you tell them laborer high school dropout, your rate will be much higher than the phd doctor. I worked in the auto ins industry at one time. Tickets and bad credit hurt you worse than anything. Pay for 6m in whole, as monthly plans tack on $5-$10 a month "service fee". Every 2-3 years some companies rates will go down and some will go up. Stick with the name brand insurers just in case you actually need to use it.

Old 01-15-2017, 06:00 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,699,483 times
Travelers was OK when I got hit by a student but I had to pay the deductible till they collected. The adjuster was good but they also did keep raising rates. The person thought he would be hit so hit me in the back- the best I had was commerce in MA my car was flipped over and the person who called was so nice. Told me what to do and let me go to Honda for the car.

Allstate my new car locks got picked and would have been stolen-the adjuster was so mean but the service manger fought for me. I did need a whole lock and key in the car. silly me I did a car loan with them also

Last edited by maggiekate; 01-15-2017 at 06:13 PM..

Old 01-15-2017, 08:02 PM

9,537 posts, read 16,527,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
What is your auto policy premium history going back a couple years.

We have two vehicles with Allstate
Early 2016 six month premium was $320.
Next payment for 6 months went up 15% to $373.
Next payment for 6 months due this month is $455 or another increase of 18%.

They say we are getting every discount they offer except some smart phone application. Agent says it is because our state is the 2nd or 3rd worst state in the entire country for bad drivers. I question that.

What company do you use and what are your premiums and discounts going back a couple years to see % increases.

Here are our discounts per vehicle:
a. multi policy, preferred package* and good payer. ($76)
b. multi policy, preferred package, good payer, anti lock brakes, premier plus* ($134)

No idea what the * are.
They said multi car and pay in full and bank draft discounts were included in the above.

Miles per year is under 6000 and they said the threshold for mileage was 7200 and under and that 1000 miles a year would not get a larger discount than 6500 miles. 7200 and under means 0-7200.

Companies we know as possible for a switch would be:
State Farm, Nationwide, Farm Bureau, Geico, Travelers.

We priced those before (but it has been 2-3 years) and there were no savings over what we pay now, or the difference was minimal vs. switching over. We've filled out questionnaires for Geico and they are not cheaper than Allstate though they imply they may be on TV every day.
I had the same experience with Allstate. Every 6 months there was a $5O to $100 policy increase. I now have USAA. I'm having the same problem with them. Yet I have no claims or tickets for decades, and my policies are paid in full. The Ins business is a racket and needs to be completely investigated. States should mandate there be a cap on the outrageous cost of ins. Much more emphasis should be on the policyholders driving record. Insurance companies are allowed to categorize us by our zip codes, our income level, if we missed paying a bill. Then that's not enough so then it's our educational level. If we are affiliated with any educational institutions. All of these discriminating tactics, for nothing more than car insurance. Which states force us to have. Yes I believe states should put their foot down, with the sick ways these ins co determine their outrageous rates.

Old 01-15-2017, 08:48 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
Car insurance is no different than life, homeowners or any other kind. The insurance company is "betting" that you won't have a claim, and you are "betting" that you will. They have to play the odds, and use whatever actual data they have to determine the risk and use it to determine the rate that minimizes their risk. If their data shows more crime in an area, they will be more likely to have a claim for vandalism or theft. If their data shows that people with poor credit have more claims, they have to charge more to cover the cost of those claims. Naturally, a record of multiple claims is the most obvious justification for higher rates, even if it's due more to bad luck than poor driving. All you can do is compare rates among various companies based on your circumstances at the time. Other than that, you have to do things like improve your credit score, move to a safer neighborhood. I have never been asked about my educational status for any kind of insurance, but if someone is employed at a high school I would expect additional risk from accidents with inexperienced drivers in their parking lot.

Old 01-18-2017, 06:17 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,742,113 times
I was told by a lawyer once when I was in a car accident to stay away from Allstate. Their claims handling is terrible. They also get you in by offering you a low rate and then jack it up at renewal!

As someone else said, credit is a big factor in one's premium! Also, if you have claims or tickets. We have Geico and my husband totaled his truck 3 years ago. We had a check in 5 days for the total and they were excellent with everything. Our rate at renewal has not gone up more than $10. Problem is, they do not offer home owners insurance. They broker it out to someone else. Allstate and State Farm are also notorious for dropping people after one claim.

I have also found Erie is good and also Travelers. Our home is with Travelers. The rate is also good, especially for not packaging the auto. If you have a house fire on your record, you're going to be stuck paying a high premium for at least 5 years after the claim, but I'm sure what ever you are paying is way less then what the company paid out!

Old 01-19-2017, 06:54 AM

We tried to let Geico beat Allstate premiums and they failed. (?)

We priced vehicles online for Travelers and State Farm.

State Farm $297
Travelers $380

We got the bill from Allstate and they are $455 and blame it on our state being close to the worst state for bad drivers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance