Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2017, 06:38 PM

3 posts, read 1,573 times

Advertisements

I was traveling south and other car was at intersection facing east and turning left which is north. The other driver had a stop sign and I did not. I swerved left as the other driver pulled out in front of me and he hit me in the front of my car. The other driver ended up being an off duty state officer. The police are trying to say that I am at fault for this because I swerved left instead of hitting him straight on. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2017, 07:43 PM

5,674 posts, read 5,882,381 times
Doesnt matter. You and a cop had a wreck, your going to be blamed. But he pulled out in front of you regardless, he is at fault.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:19 AM

203 posts, read 327,693 times
There are a couple of intetesting points here but ultimately unless one of you had a dash camera you will likely be found at fault because it was a cop. It may not be right or fair but you probably won't want to waste too many hours fighting it and making enemies.

First off, the person at the stop sign has the duty to yield. They have the responsibility of making sure it's clear and safe to pull out. He was wrong and he pulled out when it wasn't safe.

The problem lies in your reaction, which was a perfectly normal and common reaction to seeing an inevitable crash. HOWEVER, and I can't stress this enough, this is the reaction that will always end up costing you more. If someone or something pulls out or runs out in front of you, the best thing to do is usually to just hit it. This goes especially for deer and other animals in the road. Hitting a deer in the road is considered a no-fault comprehensive claim that likely wouldn't result in a rate increase. As soon as you try to swerve to avoid hitting the deer and you go off into the ditch or hit something else it becomes an at-fault collision claim where you lost control of your vehicle. Scored and charged very differently insurance-wise.

You did what most people would do, but you've also given them a reason to blame you because you "lost control of your vehicle" when you swerved. If it were anyone other than a police officer I would probably say you should fight it but honestly it's likely to cause you more trouble than it's worth. Sometimes life just isn't fair.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:28 AM

8,630 posts, read 9,137,436 times
Did you end up in the north bound lane where the collision accured? When the two cars colided and stopped, how far away was the east bound street the cop pulled out of?

Old 02-02-2017, 07:34 AM

I was roughly on the yellow line when he hit me and he pushed me into the ditch of the north bound lane. The east bound street was probably about 20 feet away.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:42 AM

Would it help if he told me he was distracted from his ex wife? If so, who would I say this to? The police never took my statement but just called to tell me that we were both at fault. I already filled the claim. Should I tell the insurance when they call back?

Old 02-02-2017, 07:47 AM

8,630 posts, read 9,137,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbander17 View Post
Would it help if he told me he was distracted from his ex wife? If so, who would I say this to? The police never took my statement but just called to tell me that we were both at fault. I already filled the claim. Should I tell the insurance when they call back?
Tell the insurance company everything, tell them its not your fault. Take the cop to court. If he wins, appeal. If what you say is true, he is clearly at fault.

Last edited by jmking; 02-02-2017 at 07:58 AM..

Old 02-02-2017, 11:17 AM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbander17 View Post
I was traveling south and other car was at intersection facing east and turning left which is north. The other driver had a stop sign and I did not. I swerved left as the other driver pulled out in front of me and he hit me in the front of my car. The other driver ended up being an off duty state officer. The police are trying to say that I am at fault for this because I swerved left instead of hitting him straight on. Any thoughts?
This reminds me of a TV news report, I saw years ago. A TV station camera man was traveling to an assignment when he saw a really bad rear end car crash, so he stopped to film it. When interviewed, the driver said he stopped his car at an intersection to make a left turn and was yielding to oncoming traffic, when he got hit at a high rate of speed from behind. The other driver immediately apologized to him and accepted full responsibility. Then when police arrived, they started patting the other driver on the back and telling him it was not his fault. Then they issued a ticket to the guy who got rear ended, for impeding traffic. It turned out the other driver was an off duty police officer, who was late for work and speeding at a ridiculously high rate of speed to get to the police station to start his shift.

Anyway the police chief, saw the news report, and called the TV station to do an interview the next day. In the interview the chief said that no ticket should have been issued, and that he had personally cancelled the ticket. The reporter then asked, if the cop who rear ended him would be cited for causing the accident. The chief then ended the interview with saying, no, no one would be cited for the accident. It was just an unfortunate accident, that couldn't be helped. The cop was a good dedicated cop who was just in a hurry to get to work on time.

So basically yeah, when you have an accident with a cop, you are at fault. Regardless of the circumstances.

Old 02-02-2017, 01:53 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
A few months ago I was passing through an intersection and my light was green. As I neared the middle a cop went flying through a red light and came inches from t-boning me. His lights weren't on and he just ran the red light. I saw his face coming at me and he was looking at his phone. He slammed on his breaks as did I and he was screaming at me and making gestures towards me like I did something wrong.

Old 04-07-2017, 09:44 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,297,951 times
This is why you should invest 50 bucks in a freaking dash cam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance