Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 12:18 PM

573 posts, read 585,773 times

Advertisements

Wow listen to all the judgmental *******s on this forum. THE FIRST THING I DID was ask the kid if he was okay. I LITERALLY JUST BUMPED HIM WITH THE CAR, and even the police acknowledged it "wasn't really my fault since the sun was directly in your face". I called 911 immediately, and I was 100% concerned about his well being. You people act like you never have made a mistake in your life. I am over 30 years old and this is my first ever accident, so get over yourselves. Again I met with the father and apologized and he was the one who seemed nonchalant and admitted mistakes happen. I told him I was very concerned for his son, but he seemed to shrug it off saying the paramedics told him it was just a bruise. I am simply trying to get advice since the police officer told me the father declined to have a report filed, and that if he changes his mind, one could be filed later.

Insurance companies are evil, they look for any excuse to raise rates, and I don't want to pay higher premiums for asking a question. I know that later on the dad may change his mind since statute of limitations is 1 year I believe. And to think I didn't care is wrong, I asked the cop if I should offer the dad $250 for their troubles and he said "don't open that door" so I'm kinda stuck right now. I am just trying to make it myself, and I can't afford to be sued.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Is your car damaged? If there is no damage, no one is injured, and the police didn't file a report, then there was no accident. Just forget about it. If you report it, it will be an at fault accident.
This is what I was thinking, but even if it is a bruise, I guess he could claim pain and suffering? Or maybe he could claim psychological damage. It certainly jarred me I was horrified no one wants to hit anyone, I've been in this place over two years and deal with hordes of pedestrians every day, and never had an accident. That's what angers me about the people on the forum acting like I drove on a sidewalk or something crazy. I made a mistake and I'm trying to make amends. But at the same time I can't just become homeless because I made one mistake.

Old 11-18-2017, 12:27 PM

603 posts, read 445,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveswater_outdoors View Post
Wow listen to all the judgmental *******s on this forum. THE FIRST THING I DID was ask the kid if he was okay. I LITERALLY JUST BUMPED HIM WITH THE CAR, and even the police acknowledged it "wasn't really my fault since the sun was directly in your face". I called 911 immediately, and I was 100% concerned about his well being. You people act like you never have made a mistake in your life. I am over 30 years old and this is my first ever accident, so get over yourselves. Again I met with the father and apologized and he was the one who seemed nonchalant and admitted mistakes happen. I told him I was very concerned for his son, but he seemed to shrug it off saying the paramedics told him it was just a bruise. I am simply trying to get advice since the police officer told me the father declined to have a report filed, and that if he changes his mind, one could be filed later.

Insurance companies are evil, they look for any excuse to raise rates, and I don't want to pay higher premiums for asking a question. I know that later on the dad may change his mind since statute of limitations is 1 year I believe. And to think I didn't care is wrong, I asked the cop if I should offer the dad $250 for their troubles and he said "don't open that door" so I'm kinda stuck right now. I am just trying to make it myself, and I can't afford to be sued.
Yeah, but by asking for advice on an open forum you will likely get a wide range of responses.

And, I highly doubt the officer said it wasn't your fault because of the sun.

At any rate, I wouldn't call the insurance co unless and until the parents of the son you hit come after you.

Old 11-18-2017, 01:22 PM
KCZ

4,669 posts, read 3,663,822 times
Quote:
This is what I was thinking, but even if it is a bruise, I guess he could claim pain and suffering? Or maybe he could claim psychological damage. It certainly jarred me I was horrified no one wants to hit anyone, I've been in this place over two years and deal with hordes of pedestrians every day, and never had an accident. That's what angers me about the people on the forum acting like I drove on a sidewalk or something crazy. I made a mistake and I'm trying to make amends. But at the same time I can't just become homeless because I made one mistake.
That is exactly why you have auto insurance with liability coverage. And there is undoubtedly a stipulation in the policy that you notify your insurance company immediately after an accident and that they can deny coverage if you don't. CYA and call your insurance company because you have no guarantee the boy and his family won't decide to pursue this down the road. If they file a claim and your rates go up, you'll just have to deal with it as the cost of hitting a pedestrian.

Old 11-18-2017, 02:03 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
Quote:

You'd be smart to quit while your ahead. Since you haven't, I will say this:

First, as another poster said, I don't believe the police told you "that it wasn't your fault because the sun was in your eyes". I have news for you. If you run into someone because you can't see and its because the sun was in your eyes you are to blame. If you run over a pedestrian at an intersection--crosswalk or not--its your fault. The law gives pedestrians the right to cross a street at intersections. They have the right of way over cars unless there is a red traffic signal for them. You did not say there were any lights at this intersection.

Second, calling 911 has nothing to do with who is fault in an accident. Some mistakes are more serious than others and must be acknowledged as such. I think hitting another vehicle or a pedestrian in a situation where you are at fault is serious. It creates doubt about your ability to drive safely. At first, when you told this story I thought you were concerned about this young man. However, after you started talking about him coming from a trailer court and worrying more about a lawsuit than his well being--well, that's when you lost me. Most of us are not very concerned about the affordability of your car insurance. That's your problem. However, when you run into someone else that becomes an issue of public safety and concerns all of us.

Third, insurance companies are not good or evil. They are profit making businesses that are primarily regulated by the fact that in most states as many as two dozen companies sell car insurance. If one company acts abusive, the other companies will absorb that company's share of the market when the word gets around. Rates are based on risk factors. You just demonstrated you couldn't avoid hitting a pedestrian in an intersection. Injury or not, that's probably a basis for increasing your rates.

Fourth, it doesn't sound like you understand that expensive car insurance you buy. The liability portion of your insurance pays for injuries in situations like this. If you buy adequate limits of insurance, you don't have to worry about being sued. The insurance company is obligated in such a situation to pay for you to have a lawyer and to either settle any claim brought, defend it in court, and/or pay any judgment rendered up to the policy limits.

Finally, there is no right to drive a car. There is a privilege to drive a car granted by the state to certain individuals. If meet age and health restrictions, have insurance, and drive safely you will get a privilege to drive. If you don't do those things you will lose that privilege to drive.

Old 11-18-2017, 03:38 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
Well said!

Old 11-18-2017, 03:48 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,069,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
This one. I know many LEOs who tell people "no report is being filed" but they admit that when a juvenile and medical are involved, a report (even if just a simple field log note) is always filed. Of course, if a person wants to belive no report was filed so they never bother to check, that's their fantasy world.
There are log reports for everything that cops are dispatched to. A log report does not equal an accident report. A log report just shows that they were dispatched to an accident at a certain time, and that it was cleared at a certain time. Nothing more.

Old 11-18-2017, 03:59 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,069,314 times
Quote:
I don't think so. It sounds like the EMTs checked him out and found no need for further medical attention. Normally that's the end of it.

Old 11-18-2017, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
You'd be smart to quit while your ahead. Since you haven't, I will say this:

First, as another poster said, I don't believe the police told you "that it wasn't your fault because the sun was in your eyes". I have news for you. If you run into someone because you can't see and its because the sun was in your eyes you are to blame. If you run over a pedestrian at an intersection--crosswalk or not--its your fault. The law gives pedestrians the right to cross a street at intersections. They have the right of way over cars unless there is a red traffic signal for them. You did not say there were any lights at this intersection.

Second, calling 911 has nothing to do with who is fault in an accident. Some mistakes are more serious than others and must be acknowledged as such. I think hitting another vehicle or a pedestrian in a situation where you are at fault is serious. It creates doubt about your ability to drive safely. At first, when you told this story I thought you were concerned about this young man. However, after you started talking about him coming from a trailer court and worrying more about a lawsuit than his well being--well, that's when you lost me. Most of us are not very concerned about the affordability of your car insurance. That's your problem. However, when you run into someone else that becomes an issue of public safety and concerns all of us.

Third, insurance companies are not good or evil. They are profit making businesses that are primarily regulated by the fact that in most states as many as two dozen companies sell car insurance. If one company acts abusive, the other companies will absorb that company's share of the market when the word gets around. Rates are based on risk factors. You just demonstrated you couldn't avoid hitting a pedestrian in an intersection. Injury or not, that's probably a basis for increasing your rates.

Fourth, it doesn't sound like you understand that expensive car insurance you buy. The liability portion of your insurance pays for injuries in situations like this. If you buy adequate limits of insurance, you don't have to worry about being sued. The insurance company is obligated in such a situation to pay for you to have a lawyer and to either settle any claim brought, defend it in court, and/or pay any judgment rendered up to the policy limits.

Finally, there is no right to drive a car. There is a privilege to drive a car granted by the state to certain individuals. If meet age and health restrictions, have insurance, and drive safely you will get a privilege to drive. If you don't do those things you will lose that privilege to drive.
Well since you are all high and mighty and free from mistakes in your life, then go ahead and be the first to cast stones. You sound like another sanctimonious jerk tbh, and idk who you think you are talking to, but you are NO moral authority here or anywhere. I think it is wrong to punish someone thousands or tens of thousands of dollars for one mistake that resulted in a minor bruise. I've paid for car insurance for over fifteen years and never used it once, I think that should count for something is all I am saying. The fact is many people feel frustrated when God forbid they use the insurance they actually pay for they are punished. I'm not some blind older person who doesn't need to have a license anymore with several accidents on their record, I think being over 30 with no accidents before this is pretty impressive, and I don't know many people who can claim that.

Old 11-19-2017, 07:04 PM

603 posts, read 445,312 times
Quote:
Well since you are all high and mighty and free from mistakes in your life, then go ahead and be the first to cast stones. You sound like another sanctimonious jerk tbh, and idk who you think you are talking to, but you are NO moral authority here or anywhere. I think it is wrong to punish someone thousands or tens of thousands of dollars for one mistake that resulted in a minor bruise. I've paid for car insurance for over fifteen years and never used it once, I think that should count for something is all I am saying. The fact is many people feel frustrated when God forbid they use the insurance they actually pay for they are punished. I'm not some blind older person who doesn't need to have a license anymore with several accidents on their record, I think being over 30 with no accidents before this is pretty impressive, and I don't know many people who can claim that.
:thud:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance