Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 09:35 PM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I have heard that the rates are different whether you're a dependant or a 'qualifier'.. I think my dad, who I got membership through, gets a better rate because he was an officer than I get just being a dependent member.
I have no idea. I've never thought to ask that question. My son doesn't currently buy their insurance, but I wonder--all things considered--if his rate would be the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 11:01 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,233,399 times
That would be difficult to figure out as there are so many factors involved notably the dad would have more years driving experience.

Although if you look through their posted discounts on your state's dept of insurance they will list all available credits and there isn't a differentiator for qualified/dependent there.

Old 01-10-2018, 06:42 AM

304 posts, read 295,553 times
Quote:
You're right.. I thought the banking was open, but appears it is not. At one point, SC had a law that said you could not offer insurance to members only. So, to insure anyone in SC, they had to accept everyone.. Once that law was changed, they kicked the non-qualifiers out.

I have heard that the rates are different whether you're a dependant or a 'qualifier'.. I think my dad, who I got membership through, gets a better rate because he was an officer than I get just being a dependent member.

That distribution check at the end of the year also affects the overall rate that you pay. Usually winds up being somewhere in the 5 to 10% of what you paid in coming back.
Rates for insurance? They are different for everyone as there are so many factors to consider. I imagine my mother had a better rate than I did when she was still alive simply because she had more driving years behind her. My cousin is enlisted with USAA, I was once enlisted, but I definitely have a way better rate because I have a college degree, have 10+ more years driving experience, have way better credit, etc. It seems perfectly normal for your father to have a better rate than you.

Old 03-05-2020, 08:50 AM

30,617 posts, read 18,198,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
USAA is a very high quality insurance company.

The mistake I see all of you making is judging the insurance solely on a price of a policy. In actuality, its claims service that is important and USAA has some of the best claim service in this country.

If you want cheap insurance go watch those silly GEICO or Progressive ads and sign up. If you want good insurance than buy USAA, AMICA, Auto Owner's, or The Hartford.
I agree (though my USAA quote is only a few dollars more than what other competitors were quoting, so its really a wash in that regard). I've seen too many customer service horror stories with other companies that freak me out. Granted, if USAA ever did become unreasonably more expensive for me than the competition, I would consider changing service. But I do place a premium on outstanding service regardless.

Old 01-17-2021, 03:55 PM

661 posts, read 832,634 times
I get cold calls for Auto Insurance once on a while, every time they ask who I am insured with and I say USAA their tone drops and they seem less excited to sell me their insurance. Last time the lady laft out said we cannot beat them and hung up.

ON top of that I had my front end of the Porsche hit, the Auto body I picked send them an estimate an pictures and they just send a check, they approved all OEM parts too. They never even sent an adjuster. Very easy to work with.

It not just the amount you pay yearly but the service too, Not having to fight tooth and nail to get a fair amount for your car on a total out, or get fair repairs with quality parts.

Old 01-18-2021, 10:53 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,724,563 times
Every year come time to renew my auto insurance, I go rate shopping. I am a vet and I never found USAA's rates to be competitive. In my last go around quotes from 5 or 6 companies ran from $1K per year to $1.6K per year.

Old 01-22-2021, 12:49 PM

17,568 posts, read 15,232,801 times
As others have stated.. Price isn't everything.

Woman ran into me in a parking lot yesterday morning. Basically ripped the rear bumper off my truck. Got the cops out and we exchanged info. No tickets due to it being on private property.. But basically, she blindly reversed into me.

I filed a claim on the app just to notify USAA of the incident. Elected to let her insurance handle it. USAA has done the following in.. basically 26 hours.

Opened a claim on their side. They contacted the other party's insurance and started a claim with them, had me send them the dashcam video of the accident, set up an appointment for 10am this morning for an inspection/estimate. Cut me a check for the damage amount, got approval to waive my deductible due to the obvious fact that she was at fault and cut a check for that amount. I'm scheduled to have the work start on Tuesday and they've arranged a rental car for me. They were going to get me a truck, since that's what I drive, but I declined and just asked for a normal, intermediate car. No need for her insurance to pay the high rental rate for a truck.

We're literally looking at 26 hours since the incident and all this has been done. They're not waiting on the other persons insurance to accept liability. They have seen the accident footage.. They're covering it under my collision coverage to get repairs started and will collect from the other party's insurance rather than making me wait. The only reason repairs haven't started yet is because the shop can't get me in until Tuesday. And USAA found a shop that could take me in today, but it was a tad too far away.

Anyone else have their insurance company do this much? I haven't had a claim with USAA other than a windshield ever.. But I didn't expect this much and from hearing other people talk.. This doesn't seem to be the norm.

Old 02-04-2021, 07:12 AM

857 posts, read 843,519 times
Quote:
As others have stated.. Price isn't everything.

Woman ran into me in a parking lot yesterday morning. Basically ripped the rear bumper off my truck. Got the cops out and we exchanged info. No tickets due to it being on private property.. But basically, she blindly reversed into me.

I filed a claim on the app just to notify USAA of the incident. Elected to let her insurance handle it. USAA has done the following in.. basically 26 hours.

Opened a claim on their side. They contacted the other party's insurance and started a claim with them, had me send them the dashcam video of the accident, set up an appointment for 10am this morning for an inspection/estimate. Cut me a check for the damage amount, got approval to waive my deductible due to the obvious fact that she was at fault and cut a check for that amount. I'm scheduled to have the work start on Tuesday and they've arranged a rental car for me. They were going to get me a truck, since that's what I drive, but I declined and just asked for a normal, intermediate car. No need for her insurance to pay the high rental rate for a truck.

We're literally looking at 26 hours since the incident and all this has been done. They're not waiting on the other persons insurance to accept liability. They have seen the accident footage.. They're covering it under my collision coverage to get repairs started and will collect from the other party's insurance rather than making me wait. The only reason repairs haven't started yet is because the shop can't get me in until Tuesday. And USAA found a shop that could take me in today, but it was a tad too far away.

Anyone else have their insurance company do this much? I haven't had a claim with USAA other than a windshield ever.. But I didn't expect this much and from hearing other people talk.. This doesn't seem to be the norm.
Similar easy filing experience with USAA and their rates after shopping around are competitive for me. Great service does mean quite a bit, especially when you are looking at a major accidents, thousands on the line, etc. I have had Allstate, Liberty Mutual and StateFarm in the past and only the latter was decent customer-service wise. The first two were crappy to say the least in how they handled accidents that were caused by others.

Old 02-04-2021, 03:32 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,233,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forzalugano View Post
I get cold calls for Auto Insurance once on a while, every time they ask who I am insured with and I say USAA their tone drops and they seem less excited to sell me their insurance. Last time the lady laft out said we cannot beat them and hung up.
Same deal with their home insurance. Building a new place so getting lots of offers for insurance, just say we're using USAA and they just give up.

Old 02-06-2021, 09:15 AM

46,274 posts, read 27,078,580 times
Everyone knows that they can bundle and the insurance will go down. I have my guns/other valuables under a policy, which in turn drops my overall insurance down. The policy for my valuables is not as much as overall drop in insurance.

ETA: I also just refinanced my house with USAA (initially financed with USAA) very little work on my side, they even came to my house to sign the paperwork. Very straight forward....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance