Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2021, 10:38 AM

6,354 posts, read 7,762,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forzalugano View Post
ON top of that I had my front end of the Porsche hit, the Auto body I picked send them an estimate an pictures and they just send a check, they approved all OEM parts too. They never even sent an adjuster. Very easy to work with.

It not just the amount you pay yearly but the service too, Not having to fight tooth and nail to get a fair amount for your car on a total out, or get fair repairs with quality parts.
My claims experience with USAA was a little different than yours. Had a new 2018 Toyota RAV4 Adventure that was rear-ended when it only had 5,000 miles on the odometer. So, basically, a brand new car. They ended up declaring the car a total loss, because they were fearful that the damage extended to the rear trans-axle, (AWD). I was hoping they would total the car because of all the safety sensors in the rear bumper and cars never seem the same after such an extensive accident.

They did not reimburse me for the full amount. They shorted me about a $1,000 because they would not pay for the 'paint protection film', saying that it was a personal decision to add it to the car when I purchased it. A couple other minor things too. Wasn't too upset and was able to replace it with the last '18 Adventure available in North Idaho, (traded from a distant dealership - 2018 was the last year of the generation-4 RAV4s).

Things could have happened quicker too, but when we are in those types of situations, we always want instant service. I will remain with them and have my homeowner's insurance through them also, with a rider for "valuable household items", (firearms and camera gear).

(By the way, I was hit by a 'jacked up' Silverado extended-cab pick up. Was stopped awaiting oncoming traffic to clear so that I could make a left turn. He had to be towed from the scene, having lost one of his front wheels. I was able to drive home. 'Home' was just under a mile away from the accident scene.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Every year come time to renew my auto insurance, I go rate shopping. I am a vet and I never found USAA's rates to be competitive. In my last go around quotes from 5 or 6 companies ran from $1K per year to $1.6K per year.
When I lived in SoCal, I obtained quotes from time to time from USAA. They were always higher than my current insurance company, (Mercury). They explained it was because of the car I owned, (1989 Mercedes Benz 300CE coupé). Not really a sports car, but they considered it so. When I retired and moved, because Mercury does not underwrite in Idaho, I went with USAA.

Unlike the poster's experience up-thread, I had excellent claims service with Mercury and was with them for 44 years.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2021, 02:02 PM

46,274 posts, read 27,082,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
My claims experience with USAA was a little different than yours. Had a new 2018 Toyota RAV4 Adventure that was rear-ended when it only had 5,000 miles on the odometer. So, basically, a brand new car. They ended up declaring the car a total loss, because they were fearful that the damage extended to the rear trans-axle, (AWD). I was hoping they would total the car because of all the safety sensors in the rear bumper and cars never seem the same after such an extensive accident.

They did not reimburse me for the full amount. They shorted me about a $1,000 because they would not pay for the 'paint protection film', saying that it was a personal decision to add it to the car when I purchased it. A couple other minor things too. Wasn't too upset and was able to replace it with the last '18 Adventure available in North Idaho, (traded from a distant dealership - 2018 was the last year of the generation-4 RAV4s).

Things could have happened quicker too, but when we are in those types of situations, we always want instant service. I will remain with them and have my homeowner's insurance through them also, with a rider for "valuable household items", (firearms and camera gear).

(By the way, I was hit by a 'jacked up' Silverado extended-cab pick up. Was stopped awaiting oncoming traffic to clear so that I could make a left turn. He had to be towed from the scene, having lost one of his front wheels. I was able to drive home. 'Home' was just under a mile away from the accident scene.)

When I lived in SoCal, I obtained quotes from time to time from USAA. They were always higher than my current insurance company, (Mercury). They explained it was because of the car I owned, (1989 Mercedes Benz 300CE coupé). Not really a sports car, but they considered it so. When I retired and moved, because Mercury does not underwrite in Idaho, I went with USAA.

Unlike the poster's experience up-thread, I had excellent claims service with Mercury and was with them for 44 years.

Your first paragraph is exactly why I'll never not buy "GAP" insurance even when I buy a used vehicle. In 2018, I purchased a 2015 Dodge 1500 HEMI 4 door (on a Monday) that had just about 60K on it. That following Saturday, someone ran a stop sign and hit me directly in the drivers side front fender, we hit so hard ( I was going 55) that he ripped the tire and entire "A" arm from my truck and when it was all said and done it was under his truck. So, not even a week after I financed the truck and 3 weeks until they finally totaled the vehicle, USAA insurance called me and stated that the truck was totaled and how would you like to pay the difference in what the estimated truck is worth and what you owe...once the word "owe" came out of his mouth, he goes never mind you have GAP insurance....that $105 saved me 5K.....

Last edited by chucksnee; 02-06-2021 at 02:25 PM..

Old 02-15-2021, 06:37 AM

6,541 posts, read 7,124,380 times
I’ve had USAA for over 20 years and won’t waste any time looking at others. A friend of mine owns a very large personal injury law firm and makes millions from crap insurance companies. Someone asked on his Facebook page what is the best insurance companies and he said USAA was top, along with another right there. His favorite is whatever one has Flo, he laughs every time he sees a van/suv etc with their logos as they make him a lot of money!

Old 02-18-2021, 10:56 AM

12,825 posts, read 22,003,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
I’ve had USAA for over 20 years and won’t waste any time looking at others. A friend of mine owns a very large personal injury law firm and makes millions from crap insurance companies. Someone asked on his Facebook page what is the best insurance companies and he said USAA was top, along with another right there. His favorite is whatever one has Flo, he laughs every time he sees a van/suv etc with their logos as they make him a lot of money!
I've had USAA since I first started driving and I can't imagine a world in which I'd switch to another company.

As far as rates go (I get quotes from others every few years - most recently this past fall when I purchased a new car), they've always been competitive and often been the best. But insurance coverage is about far more than the rates, and USAA has been the absolute best when I've needed them (thankfully, not too often).

A buddy of mine owns a pretty big auto body shop and has said for years that USAA is the best if you can get it. As someone else indicated, they work well with independent shops, often cover OEM parts and have responsive customer service.

I've made 4 claims with them in about 20 years. Each one was handled about as quickly and seamlessly as possible.

Old 02-18-2021, 11:43 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,292,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I agree (though my USAA quote is only a few dollars more than what other competitors were quoting, so its really a wash in that regard). I've seen too many customer service horror stories with other companies that freak me out. Granted, if USAA ever did become unreasonably more expensive for me than the competition, I would consider changing service. But I do place a premium on outstanding service regardless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by forzalugano View Post
I get cold calls for Auto Insurance once on a while, every time they ask who I am insured with and I say USAA their tone drops and they seem less excited to sell me their insurance. Last time the lady laft out said we cannot beat them and hung up.

ON top of that I had my front end of the Porsche hit, the Auto body I picked send them an estimate an pictures and they just send a check, they approved all OEM parts too. They never even sent an adjuster. Very easy to work with.

It not just the amount you pay yearly but the service too, Not having to fight tooth and nail to get a fair amount for your car on a total out, or get fair repairs with quality parts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
As others have stated.. Price isn't everything.

Woman ran into me in a parking lot yesterday morning. Basically ripped the rear bumper off my truck. Got the cops out and we exchanged info. No tickets due to it being on private property.. But basically, she blindly reversed into me.

I filed a claim on the app just to notify USAA of the incident. Elected to let her insurance handle it. USAA has done the following in.. basically 26 hours.

Opened a claim on their side. They contacted the other party's insurance and started a claim with them, had me send them the dashcam video of the accident, set up an appointment for 10am this morning for an inspection/estimate. Cut me a check for the damage amount, got approval to waive my deductible due to the obvious fact that she was at fault and cut a check for that amount. I'm scheduled to have the work start on Tuesday and they've arranged a rental car for me. They were going to get me a truck, since that's what I drive, but I declined and just asked for a normal, intermediate car. No need for her insurance to pay the high rental rate for a truck.

We're literally looking at 26 hours since the incident and all this has been done. They're not waiting on the other persons insurance to accept liability. They have seen the accident footage.. They're covering it under my collision coverage to get repairs started and will collect from the other party's insurance rather than making me wait. The only reason repairs haven't started yet is because the shop can't get me in until Tuesday. And USAA found a shop that could take me in today, but it was a tad too far away.

Anyone else have their insurance company do this much? I haven't had a claim with USAA other than a windshield ever.. But I didn't expect this much and from hearing other people talk.. This doesn't seem to be the norm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MedvedActual View Post
Similar easy filing experience with USAA and their rates after shopping around are competitive for me. Great service does mean quite a bit, especially when you are looking at a major accidents, thousands on the line, etc. I have had Allstate, Liberty Mutual and StateFarm in the past and only the latter was decent customer-service wise. The first two were crappy to say the least in how they handled accidents that were caused by others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Same deal with their home insurance. Building a new place so getting lots of offers for insurance, just say we're using USAA and they just give up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I've had USAA since I first started driving and I can't imagine a world in which I'd switch to another company.

As far as rates go (I get quotes from others every few years - most recently this past fall when I purchased a new car), they've always been competitive and often been the best. But insurance coverage is about far more than the rates, and USAA has been the absolute best when I've needed them (thankfully, not too often).

A buddy of mine owns a pretty big auto body shop and has said for years that USAA is the best if you can get it. As someone else indicated, they work well with independent shops, often cover OEM parts and have responsive customer service.

I've made 4 claims with them in about 20 years. Each one was handled about as quickly and seamlessly as possible.

I think all these testimonials speak far better than I can from my standpoint as an accident attorney. USAA is a great insurance company and their rates appear to be competitive. Their claim service though is excellent. If you are eligible for USAA Insurance thing long and hard before you abandon it for a substandard company.

Old 02-20-2021, 05:52 AM

3,422 posts, read 1,837,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I think all these testimonials speak far better than I can from my standpoint as an accident attorney. USAA is a great insurance company and their rates appear to be competitive. Their claim service though is excellent. If you are eligible for USAA Insurance thing long and hard before you abandon it for a substandard company.
I knew you were some kind of accident attorney.

Old 02-20-2021, 07:24 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,292,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrioticSuperman View Post
I knew you were some kind of accident attorney.
I am.

We have people in all different sorts of situations participating here. We have insurance adjusters, attorneys, paralegals, small business people, young people, and old people.

I periodically rate insurance companies based on my experiences and share that here.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/car-...nual-list.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance