Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 09:18 AM

57 posts, read 26,400 times

Advertisements

I am losing sleep and I want to take her to small claims court, please help.

I was backing out of a driveway and fully stopped when I saw another car in reverse. I honked for a whole second, but she hit me anyway. Well it was more like her car pushed my car. I looked to my left and saw a crossguard looking my way. I wanted to exit the car and take pictures before she drove off. I chased her down and honked. She pulled over after driving pass 8 houses. She exit car and said to me "I'm sorry for hitting you." We inspect damage and she said, no way I bump you a little only. I did not do that damage to your car. I called police and he took 70 min to arrive. No police report because only property damage so we exchanged insurance. She lied to her insurance by saying said there was no collision. Is that obstruction of justice?

From the insurance point of view, it is hard to believe me because her car only had scratches and she claimed the scratches were from a previous accident. Police said it was no hit and run because she stopped and exchanged insurance info. The crossguard is in the hospital.

If I take her to court, can I summon the police officer to prove she lied about no collision? He heard her say "I only bump you a little. I did not do that damage." Will officer even show up or remember? I left the office a message and politely asked for his testimony.

Advice appreciated, thank you
Kyle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 09:55 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,542,977 times
You are screwed as far as recovery from her. Next time take pictures of the cars, the street, her, her ID and insurance papers.
That's why you have a camera.

Old 01-13-2018, 10:27 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,483,988 times
Typically drivers entering a public road from a private one (ie a home driveway, parking lot, etc) must give way to traffic on the public road and are considered at-fault in the event of a collision.

I would expect little sympathy from a judge in your position.

Experience: I was hit in such an accident. A corvette reversed out from his driveway on the other side of the road (and an entire travel lane) to hit me heading down the opposite direction lane.

Old 01-13-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
You are screwed as far as recovery from her. Next time take pictures of the cars, the street, her, her ID and insurance papers.
That's why you have a camera.
I did take pictures, but she drove away, but eventually I did get her I'd insurance and car damage pictures.

She lied to her insurance though and the police officer may testify

Old 01-13-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelorn View Post
Typically drivers entering a public road from a private one (ie a home driveway, parking lot, etc) must give way to traffic on the public road and are considered at-fault in the event of a collision.

I would expect little sympathy from a judge in your position.

Experience: I was hit in such an accident. A corvette reversed out from his driveway on the other side of the road (and an entire travel lane) to hit me heading down the opposite direction lane.
There was no oncoming traffic, I was free to back out.
For some reason, she reversed. Maybe she saw a parking spot

Old 01-13-2018, 11:18 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,258,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exohouse View Post
There was no oncoming traffic, I was free to back out.
For some reason, she reversed. Maybe she saw a parking spot
I think it's still on you to yield.

Old 01-13-2018, 11:19 AM

Can I win based on

1. She lied to her insurance
2. Intent to hit and run

I cannot believe her car shows no clear sign of damage. How can I prove that she hit me

Old 01-13-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I think it's still on you to yield.
I'm confused. There was no oncoming traffic What do I yield to? She reversed so unexpectedly and did not respond to my honk. I was not moving for 2 whole seconds

Old 01-13-2018, 11:59 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,272,660 times
Quote:
Can I win based on

1. She lied to her insurance
2. Intent to hit and run

I cannot believe her car shows no clear sign of damage. How can I prove that she hit me
No, no, you can't, unless you have video evidence(a dash cam)

Old 01-13-2018, 12:01 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,258,879 times
Quote:
I'm confused. There was no oncoming traffic What do I yield to? She reversed so unexpectedly and did not respond to my honk. I was not moving for 2 whole seconds
What are you confused about? She was on the main road, you were entering that road, it's on you to yield to any cars on that road going in any direction. What makes you think you have the right-of-way? If you had "2 whole seconds" to react, why did you not pull back into the drive?

How can you prove she "lied" to her insurance company? Do you have a copy of her statement to them?

She did not hit and run, she stopped and exchanged info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance