Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 09:22 PM

28 posts, read 20,900 times

Advertisements

I don't think you were required to give the hospital your auto insurance info HWTechGuy. They just asked for it. Just tell them no. What are they going to do? Refuse to take your health insurance?
Send her back on the street? Or that you prefer not going through your insurance company.

Heck, I never even give medical providers my photo ID when asked. Never had a problem except from one provider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2018, 10:28 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,824,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachstan22 View Post
I don't think you were required to give the hospital your auto insurance info HWTechGuy. They just asked for it. Just tell them no. What are they going to do? Refuse to take your health insurance?
Send her back on the street? Or that you prefer not going through your insurance company.

Heck, I never even give medical providers my photo ID when asked. Never had a problem except from one provider.
My inquiry was directed towards adjusterjack, as he's clearly quite knowledgeable on the subject, but I'll play along.

I was there, and remember vividly what transpired. I gave them my Blue Cross card out of my wallet because it had both of our names on it. They asked if I had my auto insurance information because my wife was brought by ambulance after a motor vehicle accident. I told them I had it out in the car. They said they needed it. So, I went out and got it.

I was living in Pennsylvania when this happened, so I just took the time to look it up. Pennsylvania is a no-fault state (as is Florida where I live now). This means that a) your medical bills due to an auto accident get submitted to your the auto insurance company regardless of whatever medical insurance coverage you might have, and b) your insurance policy covers your medical bills, regardless of who is at fault.

Furthermore, the way I understand it - if I am a passenger in another car owned by someone else that is in an accident and I am injured - my auto insurance will cover my medical bills. If a passenger does not have their own auto insurance, then the driver's insurance provides coverage.

So, where are you located? Your state may be no-fault, or it may not. But either way, it's not about preference - it's about the law.

Last edited by HWTechGuy; 01-20-2018 at 10:39 PM..

Old 01-20-2018, 10:42 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,799,667 times
I have 41 years in law enforcement (now retired), the last 20 as chief of police for a town on Cape Cod. The number of people driving with either the minimum insurance required, or none (as with virtually all "undocumented emigrants"), is unsettling. I would suggest you ought to carry the most coverage you can afford for that one time you will have an unfortunate meeting with an under/non-insured motorist.

Going about under insured is simply shooting craps with your life.

Rich

Old 01-20-2018, 10:45 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
My boss told me never ever buy more than what your state minimum's liability amounts are, especially if you have few assets.

He said by purchasing more, you are only ensuing the plaintiff gets a higher judgment. No judge will make a judgment for more than your insurance coverage, especially if you have no assets.

Is this true?
Your boss is a dumb azz. Someone can absolutely go after you and have a judgement. What do you think happens when you buy a house or get that 120k a year paying job? Hey look I can now enforce my judgement.
That nice house got equity! Too bad you need to sell it so you can pay me. Got some assets making money. Yeah sell that and I’ll take that money too. Just because you dont have money now doesn’t mean you won’t have it in the future.

Old 01-21-2018, 02:19 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
Quote:

A hospital might NOT ask for your auto insurance card, but as soon as your HEALTH insurance company finds out that your injuries are due to an auto accident they will most likely stop paying your claims for injury and they will then subrogate from your auto insurance company (or the person who hit you if that's the case) as injuries due to an auto accident should be paid by your auto insurance.

OP.....All your threads have been in regards to car insurance. Are you new to this country, newly licensed driver or just very curious about how auto insurance works? I'm very interested in why you have so many questions in regards to the subject.

As far as a judge not awarding more than your limits, that's completely false! If you injure someone that causes significant injuries such as paralysis or death or even if they are in the hospital for a week, I can guarantee you if you only carry liability limits at state minimum you will be liable for much higher!! And if you don't have the assets to pay they can garnish your wages and put a lien on you.

And honestly, if you were to injure someone in an accident that was your fault, wouldn't you want to make sure you were covered enough to pay their medical bills and suffering? If not, that shows what type of human being you really are!

Last edited by CGab; 01-21-2018 at 02:28 PM..

Old 01-21-2018, 03:18 PM

28 posts, read 20,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post

OP.....All your threads have been in regards to car insurance. Are you new to this country, newly licensed driver or just very curious about how auto insurance works? I'm very interested in why you have so many questions in regards to the subject.

And honestly, if you were to injure someone in an accident that was your fault, wouldn't you want to make sure you were covered enough to pay their medical bills and suffering? If not, that shows what type of human being you really are!
I am a very curious person and want to know all the details so I can make the right decisions for myself. I went to law school for a year and also graduate school for a Ph.D. for two years, but didn't finish either.

I am not sure if I care about the other person's pain and suffering. I care about me. If I saw an accident I would probably just drive on, fearing my car would be hit if I didn't get out of there, or I would be delayed by police blocking the road. I am an evil and miserable person since I was abused as a kid and adult and have no family or friends now. No reason to be happy. I am in it for me.

Old 01-21-2018, 03:55 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
Quote:
I am a very curious person and want to know all the details so I can make the right decisions for myself. I went to law school for a year and also graduate school for a Ph.D. for two years, but didn't finish either.

I am not sure if I care about the other person's pain and suffering. I care about me. If I saw an accident I would probably just drive on, fearing my car would be hit if I didn't get out of there, or I would be delayed by police blocking the road. I am an evil and miserable person since I was abused as a kid and adult and have no family or friends now. No reason to be happy. I am in it for me.
I pray that most people are cut from a different cloth than you are. I really don't go for people who are all about ME FIRST. We talk about things that are legal and things that are moral.

I happen to believe that just become something is legal does not make it moral.

I know that my first year out of law school, I obtained car insurance limits of $300,000 liability, uninsured motorist, and underinsured motorist.

My feeling is that the state should demand drivers have higher limits of liability than we do. $15,000/$20,000/$25,000 really isn't enough even if the state legislature allows people to have that amount of insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance