Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 12:03 PM

18 posts, read 15,254 times

Advertisements

Hey All,

I recently got a DUI conviction on my record for a horrible/bad decision I made to drive while impaired. I regret it and will never do this again.. I am left to deal with the consequences which I have been as I want to make good with society.

I wanted to post to get some insight from others who've made this mistake on the following questions. I have no other traffic incidents or points on my license. It's been SQUEAKY clean for decades.. Outside of a few claims mentioned below. None of these claims involved me driving :/.

1. How long will my insurance go up?
2. How much will it go up by?

Note: I have a couple of old claims. One because my car was broken into. The other because an older gentleman crashed into my parked car .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 12:59 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,241,788 times
A long time, and a lot. Your current company may even drop you and might have to get SR-22 insurance.

Old 12-02-2018, 01:56 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,295,538 times
Just some general advice if you evdr are charged with a DUI: See a lawyer. This is an extremely costly ticket and insurance cosrs are worse than the fines. Sometimes a DUI can be pleaded down to a lesser charge on a first offense.

Old 12-02-2018, 02:56 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,898,571 times
Your prior history means nothing. All any insurance company will see is DUI in big neon letters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippy1234 View Post

1. How long will my insurance go up?

The experience period for DUI is 5 years with most insurance companies, so you'll likely be surcharged for 5 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippy1234 View Post

2. How much will it go up by?

A LOT. How much is hard to say. In most states insurance law allows an insurance company to drop you mid term instead of waiting to non-renew. Your policy will have a page that explains that.

Either way, you are likely to have nowhere to go but the high risk market where your rates may be 2 or 3 time what they have been in the past.

Old 12-02-2018, 03:28 PM

165 posts, read 122,296 times
I have a couple friends with DUIs and what I know is second hand from them.

1) My state it's 5 years. Not sure if it's different state to state. Will your insurance company drop you? They certainly can. A couple of my friends they didn't. Just charged them a lot. But this is up to your insurance company. My one friend had to get high risk IIRC, but he also had two convictions.

2) Factoring in fines, insurance costs, surcharges and other license fees, it could cost up to 10k when all is said and done.

It certainly is a costly mistake. It sucks for sure, but it's not permanent (well, it is on your record permanently but the costs eventually will go away as long as you stay clean and get no more tickets or anything. If you get another DUI even 20 years from now, the penalties are still second offense penalties. So download Uber my friend ). It's gonna suck for the next few years and you'll have to tighten your belt to pay for it all, but take this as a very harsh learning lesson. You seem remorseful for it and only made a terrible mistake, so I think you'll be fine down the road. And as others said, contact a lawyer. You may be able to plead it down. I had one friend get his conviction thrown out because they didn't calibrate the breathalyzer correctly. A good lawyer will help you out.

Old 12-03-2018, 10:51 AM

311 posts, read 194,091 times
A DUI will not really increase your insurance that much. You'll just have to look to carriers that are DUI-friendly. Most DUIs do not result in serious accidents, and they are non-repeat offenses. Very few people rack up multiple DUI convictions in their lives.

Take a look at https://www.consumerreports.org/cons...insurance-rep/ for example in which the Progressive rep indicates that a DUI is about the same as a rolling-stop conviction in the eyes of Progressive.

Similarly, I just went into the Kemper Auto portal and added in my own profile. My price through Kemper is $651 for 6 months -- $119.88 down and $113.22 a month.

Then I added a fake DUI on 1/15/2018. My total premium went to $683. $126 down and $118.80 a month. Really that's not much of a bump.

Old 12-04-2018, 10:21 AM

1,415 posts, read 1,187,546 times
If they hammer you, shop around. I've heard of one guy who's insurance didn't increase by a penny, and got an SR22 added for free.

Old 12-04-2018, 08:33 PM

18 posts, read 15,254 times
Wow so there are many different carriers and some are better than others.... this is great news!

Old 12-05-2018, 10:57 AM

311 posts, read 194,091 times
Dairyland does free SR-22s.

Old 12-06-2018, 03:44 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,251,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zosimus View Post
Dairyland does free SR-22s.
I suppose that's one way to get new customers...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance