Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 06:36 PM

18 posts, read 15,247 times

Advertisements

Oddly enough, I am not required or obligated to maintain an SR-22.

I guess I will shop around when the time comes :/ .... uhg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2018, 07:15 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,730,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zosimus View Post
A DUI will not really increase your insurance that much. You'll just have to look to carriers that are DUI-friendly. Most DUIs do not result in serious accidents, and they are non-repeat offenses. Very few people rack up multiple DUI convictions in their lives.

Take a look at https://www.consumerreports.org/cons...insurance-rep/ for example in which the Progressive rep indicates that a DUI is about the same as a rolling-stop conviction in the eyes of Progressive.

Similarly, I just went into the Kemper Auto portal and added in my own profile. My price through Kemper is $651 for 6 months -- $119.88 down and $113.22 a month.

Then I added a fake DUI on 1/15/2018. My total premium went to $683. $126 down and $118.80 a month. Really that's not much of a bump.
The OP has a DUI and two prior claims, so most standard carriers are not going to take him. Also, you scenario is flawed because credit plays into a big part of insurance, as well as location, type of vehicle, etc. So maybe your insurance might not go up that much, but someone else it could double! If his carrier is dropping him due to the DUI, it could triple!

The OP's best bet is to first, call a lawyer and second contact an independent insurance agent as most carriers are not going to take him. He'll need help in finding another carrier.

Old 12-06-2018, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippy1234 View Post
Oddly enough, I am not required or obligated to maintain an SR-22.

I guess I will shop around when the time comes :/ .... uhg.
An SR22 is needed for someone who is caught driving without insurance.

Old 12-06-2018, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
The OP has a DUI and two prior claims, so most standard carriers are not going to take him. Also, you scenario is flawed because credit plays into a big part of insurance, as well as location, type of vehicle, etc. So maybe your insurance might not go up that much, but someone else it could double! If his carrier is dropping him due to the DUI, it could triple!

The OP's best bet is to first, call a lawyer and second contact an independent insurance agent as most carriers are not going to take him. He'll need help in finding another carrier.
Hmm the two claims are years old and the car was parked for both of them. One it was broken into and the other it was hit by someone trying to park...

Old 12-07-2018, 10:19 AM

311 posts, read 193,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post

Your response is nonsensical. The question was whether the DUI would result in a massive bump in his rates. I stand by my response that it would not.

Your answer mentions credit, location (zip code), type of vehicle, etc. but none of these factors have anything to do with the DUI itself.

Old 12-07-2018, 10:55 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,289,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
I suppose that's one way to get new customers...
Not the ones I would want.

Old 12-07-2018, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Hmm the two claims are years old and the car was parked for both of them. One it was broken into and the other it was hit by someone trying to park...
If they are less than 5 years old they will be counted against you. Anytime you put in a claim with your carrier and they pay from your coverage, it counts against you and will increase your rates. The only exception typically is if your carrier subrogates.

Last edited by CGab; 12-07-2018 at 09:30 PM..

Old 12-07-2018, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zosimus View Post
Your response is nonsensical. The question was whether the DUI would result in a massive bump in his rates. I stand by my response that it would not.

Your answer mentions credit, location (zip code), type of vehicle, etc. but none of these factors have anything to do with the DUI itself.
I have never seen a case where a carrier did not either:

1. Drop the customer altogether due to the DUI, or

2. Raise their rates substantially.

Since the OP has other factors going on and we don't know who he's currently with or what state he's in, to say that his rates won't go up much based on a quote you did on yourself is giving him false hope. A DUI is a major violation and will be rated high unless he goes with some non-standard crap company.

At any rate, why doesn't the OP ask his insurance agent? They would know better than us in regards to what his carrier will do.

Last edited by CGab; 12-07-2018 at 09:32 PM..

Old 12-08-2018, 06:41 PM

https://www.progressive.com/answers/dui-and-insurance/

Old 12-09-2018, 09:40 AM

Quote:
What was that link for??

Most of us replying are licensed insurance agents and also are appointed with Progressive. Progressive will pretty much insure anyone, for a cost. If you think your rates won't increase much with a DUI, you're sadly mistaken. ESPECIALLY if you in fact need an SR-22 (which again would be state specific in the case of a DUI)! The 7% referenced on the link is an "average" increase, but again you have other factors going on and each will play a role in how much your rates will go up. There are consequences to be paid and high insurance premiums are one of them. Insurance carriers could care less how sorry you are! AND if your previous carrier drops you due to the DUI, then your rates will be even higher with the new carrier because you were previously dropped!

As I stated above.....every carrier is different and every state law is different. If you're looking for someone here to tell you it was OK that you got a DUI and your rates won't go up much, well.... I could say that, but I would be lying. ASK YOUR AGENT, THEY ARE THE ONLY ONE'S THAT CAN TELL YOU HOW MUCH YOU WILL BE PAYING!

Last edited by CGab; 12-09-2018 at 09:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance