Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2014, 08:32 PM

48,121 posts, read 21,999,038 times

Advertisements

I think it says some where in the Bible

Philippians 4: 7[SIZE=2] 'And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." [/SIZE]

May it be so for you and DH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 08:53 PM

14,944 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Yes! I already received a call from their social worker and she wants some of their volunteers to bring me up a few meals to ensure I am eating properly---did I die and go to heaven already? DH is very sad with finally admitting he no longer wishes to fight this ugly disease. He is so strong and strong willed I am sure it was difficult to accept. But he did--it was completely his decision. We are also having a Chaplin stop by to talk with us--another God send! God is good!

(((Cyn and DH))))), my thoughts and prayers are with you. But know this ( and I am sure you do), that you and DH no longer have to make this journey alone.

I'm so glad to hear that those hospice volunteers will help take care of you, too. Hopefully that will relieve your burdens some, and let you spend your time with your DH....

Old 08-15-2014, 12:45 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
I will be very honest with all of you here--not sure if I could pull this off without each and every one of your support!
...I am so blessed and again I thank you all! Wish I had some way to teach all caregivers how to reach out online.
On-line Caregiving support is very well represented, professional. and here (among other places too)... I have participated for several yrs with different cases on:
Connecting Friends & Family During a Health Event | CaringBridge

BTW, Hospice should be very helpful. Tough choices, Hospice is very experienced and usually excellent.

Maybe you will like to volunteer with them after this ordeal. I find it very rewarding to do so. Having done 30+ yrs of caregiving in my free time (disabled parent), and many times attended good friends during end of life, I felt it was valuable experience to share. Takes a certain person, and the right one can really help calm the family (which is seldom calm).

Old 08-15-2014, 03:20 AM

23,172 posts, read 26,189,754 times
It was, at least for us, an extremely difficult day, one of the hardest, because it's a mental and emotional turning point.
But once done, it's such a relief to know you'll no longer have all the responsibility and hard work involved in 24/7 care.
You've done more than well and have more than earned every pound of the load coming off your shoulders.

Old 08-15-2014, 05:42 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,305,220 times
Tears are flowing--thank you all. DH still wants to go to clinic and to his own doctor and I just don't know how to tell him it isn't feasible without transportation of our own. Maybe something will happen soon and we will get that van. Fingers crossed!

Old 08-15-2014, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Tears are flowing--thank you all. DH still wants to go to clinic and to his own doctor and I just don't know how to tell him it isn't feasible without transportation of our own. Maybe something will happen soon and we will get that van. Fingers crossed!
Maybe the hospice social worker can help DH process, understand and accept the reality issues that you are presented with cyn. I would think the social worker could be very helpful in this regard...so it isn't as if you are saying "No" to him.....it would be part of his acceptance of his limits and expectations.....Painful but really necessary and overdue.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:03 AM

23,172 posts, read 26,189,754 times
Does your husband understand that it's possible that you will have to pay out of pocket to go to his regular doctor and clinic? Double check with your hospice people to be sure but that's the way it was with us in Florida.
In NYS that same doctor was part of the plan so a bit different.
It might take a few days for everything to be understood....maybe even more for some things!

Old 08-15-2014, 08:20 AM

59 posts, read 85,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Maybe the hospice social worker can help DH process, understand and accept the reality issues that you are presented with cyn. I would think the social worker could be very helpful in this regard...so it isn't as if you are saying "No" to him.....it would be part of his acceptance of his limits and expectations.....Painful but really necessary and overdue.

......'and accept the reality issues ".....

great advice, elston !

Old 08-15-2014, 02:50 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,305,220 times
Yes elston and Douglas--accepting reality issues--difficult for such a man that I live with. But with time I pray it will happens!

Old 08-16-2014, 05:09 AM

Sending good thoughts your way. These are the hard times.....I will keep DH and you in my prayerful heart. I hope that you both find comfort in the chaplain's services and in all the services provided by hospice.....to ease you thru this phase of ALS.

I was glad that the nutritionist saw you had been neglecting yourself and sent over extra food for you. Its nice to see they are treating the both of you......and attending to both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving