Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2013, 05:35 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times

Advertisements

Good morning cyn. I'm wishing you a good day today.

So many wonderful posts here. Yes....you will find a new normal for you and your DH.

I read this book last year and thought it gave some good insights to people with illnesses and also the people caring for them. There is no perfect answer for each individual. Everyone deals with things in their own way.

This book makes you think about how to react to people with illnesses. It is not a how to. It has real examples of people. Each person wants something different. Basically it teaches you to be think before we speak.

The Etiquette of Illness: What to Say When You Can't Find the Words: Susan P. Halpern: 9781582343839: Amazon.com: Books
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 06:52 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,311,123 times
Same to you elston and everyone else who stops by!
That is a beautfiul picture EM!
YL, always sharing great ideas! Thank you!
Here's hoping today will bring many smiles to you all!

Old 03-13-2013, 07:01 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,672,476 times
Good morning cyn and friends...

Thanks cyn......I'm a four legged person too. well. hehe.......not that I have 4 legs but I love creatures with 4 legs. LOL English was not one of my best subjects. (can you tell)
the only living thing I can't deal with are in the reptile family but I love turtles.

and thanks for the book lisa.

BTW.........I stayed up last night and got into the news channels. Piers Morgan had Valarie Harper on his show. I stayed up till 1. Oh my, she is amazing.

Anyway....hope your hubby has a good day today cyn........that the meds work properly, and there are no side effects.

Think of you every day.........you and hubby.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:37 AM

797 posts, read 1,344,383 times
The hard thing about being a caregiver for someone with ALS is the speed of the disease.
By the time you get a " routine" down pat and get in a comfort zone it progresses a little more and more adjustments have to be made.

I do not like constantly dealing with " change", but it is a fact I have to accept.
My daughter read a diary about a woman with ALS and myself and my wife see ourselves in everything she wrote.
Our position now is at the end of the diary.

You have my support Cyn.
I still can't believe that only 2 years ago my wife got diagnosed with a slight speech defect and now is totally paralysed .

Old 03-13-2013, 08:26 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,672,476 times
Okay.....where did everyone go? Is there a sale somewhere I don't know about?

Redwolf......my heart breaks for you and your wife.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:40 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,321,367 times
Good morning Cyn (and friends)
We're back from the clinic and the little one is doing great.
I'm sending lots of good vibes your way!

Old 03-13-2013, 09:00 AM

48,133 posts, read 22,004,457 times
Sudcaro......I keep you and our precious Miranda in my prayerful thoughts too. So glad the check-up went well.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:06 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,946,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wolf View Post
The hard thing about being a caregiver for someone with ALS is the speed of the disease.
By the time you get a " routine" down pat and get in a comfort zone it progresses a little more and more adjustments have to be made.

I do not like constantly dealing with " change", but it is a fact I have to accept.
My daughter read a diary about a woman with ALS and myself and my wife see ourselves in everything she wrote.
Our position now is at the end of the diary.

You have my support Cyn.
I still can't believe that only 2 years ago my wife got diagnosed with a slight speech defect and now is totally paralysed .
That is hard to believe. I suppose it is testament to live your life as if each day is your last.

Sending caring thoughts to both you and cyn and any others who are dealing with devastating illnesses.

Also sending smiles.......hoping that today is a good day.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:13 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,311,123 times
HORRAY for our little Miranda!! What a strong little girl and her mommy has given her that strength. Bless you both and many more great check-ups in the future.

My dear Red Wolf--I do agree. Bless your heart for the insight and understanding. It's not that I am any way happy you and your wife are dealing wth this horrible disease but knowing we are not alone helps for some reason..thank you! My DH can still walk--it's been a year now from the first symptoms of neck weakness and speech problems--but other parts of his body are starting to give him problems--his hands, arms, neck and throat etc.....what a cruel disease this is. His body aches and cramps--I hate ALS.

Good to see you Kimba--thanks for those much needed smiles!

Old 03-13-2013, 01:28 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,291,389 times
Very well said, Cyn!

Sending prayers for all of you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving