Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2013, 05:00 AM

48,138 posts, read 22,007,656 times

Advertisements

This is a story from the Portland Maine newspaper, chronicling the long good-bye of a beautiful couple up on the coast of Maine who are living and loving in the face of Altzhiemers Disease. It is powerfully and beautifully written. It is inspirational.....a Love Story. Special Report: The Challenge of our Age | Portland Press Herald / Maine Sunday Telegram

I recommend it to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2013, 06:48 AM

8,046 posts, read 10,638,176 times
Great story. Lost my Dad almost a year ago. He had Altzhiemers. It started with him thinking maybe he was going to work one morning when he had been retired for over 30 yearsand went downhill quickly from there. It was like he was gone from his body three years before his body finally decided to give up and go to.

He had the same blank stare and skeletal look this woman in the story has has. Altzhimers steals the person from the body. It made me realize what "person" in the word personality means. Your person-ality really IS you. It is who you are as a person; it's your life experiences and memories, it's how you relate to your family and friends, it's your ability to communicate and participate in life, it's the skills and things you have learned. Without that "personality", you are just a body.

My dad was 89 and spent his last year in assisted living care. The assisted living facility consisted of both residents who had altzhiemers and dementia, and residents who were fine mentally but had lost some physical ability. I decided the residents in wheelchair with their minds intact were much better off than the walking around ones who had lost theirs.

This is a terrible disease, hope they find better treatments for it in the future because it could happen to any of us.

Old 10-06-2013, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
Great story. Lost my Dad almost a year ago. He had Altzhiemers. It started with him thinking maybe he was going to work one morning when he had been retired for over 30 yearsand went downhill quickly from there. It was like he was gone from his body three years before his body finally decided to give up and go to.

He had the same blank stare and skeletal look this woman in the story has has. Altzhimers steals the person from the body. It made me realize what "person" in the word personality means. Your person-ality really IS you. It is who you are as a person; it's your life experiences and memories, it's how you relate to your family and friends, it's your ability to communicate and participate in life, it's the skills and things you have learned. Without that "personality", you are just a body.

My dad was 89 and spent his last year in assisted living care. The assisted living facility consisted of both residents who had altzhiemers and dementia, and residents who were fine mentally but had lost some physical ability. I decided the residents in wheelchair with their minds intact were much better off than the walking around ones who had lost theirs.

This is a terrible disease, hope they find better treatments for it in the future because it could happen to any of us.

Thanks for posting and condolences on the prolonged loss of your father to Altzhiemers. I appreciated the discussion you made around Person and Personality.....it is the body and the spirit that come together in the "person".

I lost my father to Altzhiemers and saw it rob him of all the attributes he most valued in himself....and make a strong, bright, kindly man....into a wraith....tortured and frightened and without any discernible awareness of himself, family or surroundings. However the nurses who cared for him the last couple of years said.....he never lost his manners....it was apparent that he was a gentleman.....right to the end.

Old 10-06-2013, 07:50 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,948,599 times
What a sad story. It reminds me of my father who took care of my mom after her debilitating stroke for 13 long years. A few years after her death, he had a stroke and found himself in the same situation.

Their experience and this story makes me favor legalizing euthanasia. No matter how poignant the story was, there is no advantage to existing without any quality of life.

Old 10-06-2013, 09:35 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,265,595 times
It's funny, Montanamom....I thought the same thing about the blank stare and skeletal look. I saw the same thing with my g'mother and the lady I sat with the past year (she passed away late this spring).

Thanks for sharing it, Elston.

Old 10-07-2013, 07:10 AM

8,046 posts, read 10,638,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I lost my father to Altzhiemers and saw it rob him of all the attributes he most valued in himself....and make a strong, bright, kindly man....into a wraith....tortured and frightened and without any discernible awareness of himself, family or surroundings. However the nurses who cared for him the last couple of years said.....he never lost his manners....it was apparent that he was a gentleman.....right to the end.
This is so much of it, what you said about no discernible awareness. My Dad became frightened also, of things like getting a shower, and being touched. It was like a paranoia, and a few times towards the very end while I was there and the caregivers were doing these things, I heard him use "words" I had never, ever heard him use in the over 50 years that he was my father. Didn't even know he knew them! I realize this is part of the disease, but it was so far from how he really was that, along with his loss of ability to enjoy the things he loved so much, such as his music and good food, it hurt to see this, as I'm sure the husband in the story hurts for his wife's losses. You don't hurt for yourself, you hurt for them. But you miss the person they were before.

Dad had lived a full and rich life, it was a relief the morning they called and told me he had passed peacefully in his sleep. He was set free to be himself again, and this man's wife will be soon too.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:16 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,539,708 times
Wow. That was tough to watch.

Love knows no bounds.

Old 10-12-2013, 02:05 PM

I had read the story in the newspaper and hadn't realized there was a video to supplement it. Wow....a powerful story.....I just love Larry and his enduring love and patience. (I also love his Maine accent)

Old 10-13-2013, 03:18 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,539,708 times
The story said she passed Oct. 3. I had a dream last night that was similar to this story. I guess eating that steak right before bed was not a good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving