Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 09:52 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
When Mom goes on and on about Dillard's, she's pushing your buttons. On purpose. So when she carries on about what an awful place it is, simply say, "You know Mom, you may be right. I've had a hard time there lately myself. Now can I interest you in a grilled cheese and tomato soup?"

When she pushes into your personal space in church, there isn't much you can do about it but move over/move her purse/etc. When she acts this way when you go out to eat, tell the hostess you prefer a table. She can't very well push into your space when she's in her own chair.

If her shirt is buttoned wrong, simply tell her. Leave it up to her to fix it. Or not.

If she makes a show of "the smallest onion ring", just pick one up, put it on her plate and tell her "they're all pretty much the same - just eat as much as you like."

Two left shoes, that's a different matter. Wearing two left (or right) shoes presents an opportunity for a fall. Insist that she must change. Or alert your Dad to make sure she has appropriate footwear to forestall a potentially injurious event.

I know it sounds like I have all the answers, I don't and I know it. But barring the necessity for medical intervention, all of these behaviors are indicative of "I'll show Kathryn who's boss."

My mother was an alcoholic. She ate two meals a day. No breakfast. To the luncheonette for mid-day meal which was more an opportunity to interact with the lunch crowd. (She wouldn't interact with family members) She was known to eat a half a hot dog and a spoonful of some vegetable for the evening meal, sometimes. Only if she didn't start drinking before supper time.

She bought clothes out of catalogs - all too long - and refused to look for petite sizes. When she had them altered, she insisted the pants legs be at least three inches above her ankle bone. (She may have been the one who started the whole "cropped pants" look) lol

She rarely showered because she was "afraid I might fall". Of course, she might fall, she was in her cups most of the time!

There was a lot for me to resent - she gave me up when I was only four years old. She tried to justify that decision in later years, but it's a hard thing to forgive.

I understand your frustration, I do, but you have to overlook or ignore some of her behaviors. I'm betting when you get to that point, she'll stop it. If she doesn't, it's an aberration that she can't control, and neither can you.

Good thoughts coming your way.
Augh, your mother! I can so relate! What is it with these old women suddenly deciding to dress so weirdly????????? I DON'T GET IT.

Dear Lord, please don't let me get that way.

I agree with most of your suggestions, by the way, and your opinion that many of her behaviors are all about "showing me who's boss."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 10:25 AM

5,328 posts, read 6,019,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
<snip>
Or I'll say, "Mom, scoot over, you're crowding me," to which she'll say, "Well, I'm not taking up any more room than usual, and you're making a mountain out of a molehill as usual and besides that, your purse is as big as mine and honestly, you'd complain about anything I did anyway. But just to suit you, because you're so bossy and particular, I'll scoot over and be sure I'm not IN YOUR PERSONAL SPACE. And isn't that a ridiculous phrase anyway - personal space. What it really means is don't touch me or I'll be offended. I'm going to start calling it Kathryn Space instead. There - I made up a cute phrase - Kathryn Space. Don't get in that Kathryn Space because she'll be sure to call your hand on it! You're lucky I have a sense of humor - if I didn't I couldn't put up with you and your dad and your incessant criticism."

Then she'll roll her eyes and make a big show of "scooting over" and saying, "Is that enough? What about now, is that enough?" and I'll be sitting there thinking, "It's easier just to be crowded." Which is exactly what she wants people to think.
LOL. She may be a PIA, but she also sounds very smart and funny. Of course, she's not my mother.

Old 11-03-2015, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
LOL. She may be a PIA, but she also sounds very smart and funny. Of course, she's not my mother.
She IS smart and funny. So was Stalin, apparently. And so is Bill Clinton.

She's very articulate. Let's just say she doesn't always put her gifts to their best use. I don't either, but I'm not ruthless or cruel.

Old 11-03-2015, 10:51 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Quote:
I agree and for much of the time I'm able to rise above the shenanigans - not always but often. However, what's bothering me is that it really gets to me INTERNALLY. I am so tense around my mom that I know it's not good for me. I just hate feeling this way.

I think that I'm going to try to get a little counseling about this. It can't hurt. I've got a lot on my plate emotionally and I'm pretty tough but this has been a really rough year. I don't want to be lashing out inappropriately (haven't done that yet but it's simmering) and I don't want to end up again sitting out on my back patio on my third glass of wine on a crying jag at 3 am, with my husband looking alarmed and awkwardly patting me on the arm saying, "Maybe I need to take a few weeks off and give you a break." That would cost us a LOT of money and we can't afford for him to do that, so I need to figure out a way to step farrrrrr back from all this emotionally.

It's about to get really crunk around here because my MIL is declining rapidly. I doubt that she will be alive a month from now. So...good times, good times...I need to be emotionally strong for my husband because this is going to be harder on him than on me.
Sorry about your MIL. You really do have a lot on your plate right now.

When I was going through a particularly stressful time I saw a therapist who specialized in self-hypnosis and it really helped. I really needed to be able to not become emotionally involved in all the crap that was going on around me and it was effective for that. Just throwing it out there.

Also, when my mom was still at home I was cooking most of her meals, paying her bills, taking her to doctor appointments and pretty much worrying non-stop. All while working full time and tending to my own family. I remember telling my pastor that I just wished I could do it all with a happy heart. That actually did not change until she moved into an assisted living facility. Once I was freed of the day-to-day responsibilities it was much easier to spend time with her.

Old 11-03-2015, 10:52 AM

5,328 posts, read 6,019,984 times
On a more serious note...

Please have her eyes examined. A lot of what you are describing could be due to poor vision.

Also, I'd leave her alone regarding the weight loss. My daughter irritated the hell out of me when I suffered an unintended weight loss. I was receiving medical care and frankly it was none of her business. I was especially annoyed because had I criticized HER weight (she could afford to lose a few pounds) she would have been terribly offended and hurt/angry. Your mother's physicians will step in if she needs medical attention. Regardless of how horrible she may appear (I'm assuming she has a larger frame than average) she's only 4 or 5 pounds shy of a normal BMI. The docs aren't going to allow her to starve herself to death.

Practice smiling and saying "hmmm" when she draws attention to her food choices until you are mentally able to "let it go".

If it's any consolation my elderly father drives my younger sister and I crazy. We call each other to vent and usually end up laughing so hard about his antics that we are no longer able to talk. I'm sure it would sound mean to an outsider but we find it very cathartic and it doesn't harm my father so we're cool with it.

BTW, I agree that you should consider writing a few short stories. As I indicated in my prior post, your description of your mother's antics had me laughing out loud. And that's o.k.

Old 11-03-2015, 10:53 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,549,353 times
Quote:
Agreed - that particular example at least makes her seem really funny...

Kathryn - I don't know how old you are, and I don't really care to ...

but - at a certain point you either tell your pushy parent that you've grown up, or you don't.

And your example "that its easier just to be crowded" -- suggests you've never really assertively (not cruelly) that you're an adult now.

If I'm wrong, I apologize - its hard sometimes to pick up nuances in this format.

Your mom seems like a dynamic, funny, (likely charismatic, at least to some degree) elegant older woman (who now unfortunately is having some significant issues). And when you describe yourself in these situations, you sound like a kid asking for permission.

But you're not.

You don't have to be the life of the party. You and your mother might have completely different personalities (not at all uncommon)..

but presumably your mother has dealt with other adults before, that did not share her flair for the dramatic..

That's how she should be treating you..

When she says "there - I've created Kathryn Space, is that enough?" - I would probably have said, "Keep going old woman... you're crowding the border and Kathryn Space has a 10 ft demilitarized perimeter".. (or something equally flip and impertinent..)

Of course in my family such sort of banter wasn't unheard of, and I basically (politely) told my mom off when I was 19 and I felt she was treating me in a way I was no longer willing to accept. Our relationship was better from that point on... while I'm sure she still felt like I was a "child" - she no longer openly was dismissive of me as one.

You can't change who your mom is. You can only change how you respond to it. Your changing your behavior *might* change hers. But even if it doesn't, if your new way of responding makes it easier for you to deal with things.. then that's a win right there.

best to you and mom and mil!!

Old 11-03-2015, 12:09 PM

Quote:
On a more serious note...

Please have her eyes examined. A lot of what you are describing could be due to poor vision.

Also, I'd leave her alone regarding the weight loss. My daughter irritated the hell out of me when I suffered an unintended weight loss. I was receiving medical care and frankly it was none of her business. I was especially annoyed because had I criticized HER weight (she could afford to lose a few pounds) she would have been terribly offended and hurt/angry. Your mother's physicians will step in if she needs medical attention. Regardless of how horrible she may appear (I'm assuming she has a larger frame than average) she's only 4 or 5 pounds shy of a normal BMI. The docs aren't going to allow her to starve herself to death.

Practice smiling and saying "hmmm" when she draws attention to her food choices until you are mentally able to "let it go".

If it's any consolation my elderly father drives my younger sister and I crazy. We call each other to vent and usually end up laughing so hard about his antics that we are no longer able to talk. I'm sure it would sound mean to an outsider but we find it very cathartic and it doesn't harm my father so we're cool with it.

BTW, I agree that you should consider writing a few short stories. As I indicated in my prior post, your description of your mother's antics had me laughing out loud. And that's o.k.
She's large boned. She's 5'10". Her doctor has told her repeatedly she needs to weigh about 155, which she's weighed for decades in fact. And in fact, she is on a 2 month cycle to meet with her doctor BECAUSE he is so concerned about her weight loss and eating habits.

It's the fact that she's suddenly developed lots of really weird eating habits and has suddenly lost 30 pounds that's alarming. And the fact that she seems oblivious to it - it seems intentional - and she thinks she looks fabulous and she WANTS to lose weight and keep it off. A significant amount of weight. When she's never been overweight a day in her life.

And we know she has some vision issues - my dad takes her to the eye doctor religiously and she in fact had a stroke ten years ago which affected her optic nerve. We KNOW she's got jacked up vision - it's the fact that she will not admit it or address it - in fact refuses to do the simplest things to correct what she can, like wearing her glasses, that drives all of us crazy.

As for writing the short stories, yes - I could write a book and maybe I will some day! It's laugh or cry about all this, right?

Old 11-03-2015, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
Agreed - that particular example at least makes her seem really funny...

Kathryn - I don't know how old you are, and I don't really care to ...

but - at a certain point you either tell your pushy parent that you've grown up, or you don't.

And your example "that its easier just to be crowded" -- suggests you've never really assertively (not cruelly) that you're an adult now.

If I'm wrong, I apologize - its hard sometimes to pick up nuances in this format.

LOL I'm sure it's my fault for giving the impression that I'm not assertive in my interactions with my mom or in my daily life.

My dad, who is a very assertive person naturally, has a saying related directly to dealing with my mother, though it has very good practical applications in life in general: "Never tangle with someone who is prepared to be more ruthless than you are."

You have to understand - my mother has LIMITLESS energy when it comes to fighting. She would tell you, "I'm a fighter." She says that proudly. Yes, she is - but you don't have to fight everyone, especially not the very people who love you and are willing to help you.

For whatever reasons, my mother is very much into control and power. This would suit an executive or a world leader rather nicely. Not so great for a stay at home mom, wife, and church lady.

My life has been very different from hers. In my professional life, I've been successful in outside sales, sales management, as a corporate trainer, in real estate (listing agent) and a bank manager. Those are all fields which require an assertive, problem solving, persistent sort of personality - and if you're good in any of those fields, you also need to be a good listener, have some empathy, and be fair and ethical. Not trying to brag, but I am those things.

I've been "those things" with my mother as well - or tried to be, that is. It's just VERY DIFFICULT with her, because she has a very difficult time allowing anyone to "lead" her - ANYONE. She is a non conformist and proud of it. Example - I was very successful in real estate for many years and in fact am reactivating my license now. Do you think my mother has ever listened to a single word of advice from me regarding real estate? Heck no. She had an agent out of state when they were buying a house, and no matter how many times I would tell her, "Mom, don't all the listing agent if you want to see a house - call YOUR agent. If you call the listing agent, you can really confuse the issue, and besides that, YOUR agent represents YOU. The listing agent represents the SELLER." Etc Etc - do you think she would ever listen to that advice, from me or from my dad, or from her agent? Nope. Never. She wanted to call the listing agent to "see what she could find out." She's not stupid. This is not beyond her grasp. She just wanted to do it that way so she did it and to heck with everyone else.

Honestly, dealing with her is like trying to herd cats. If she was a customer, I would drop her as a customer. If she was an employee, I'd terminate her. If she was a parishioner, I'd have the elders do some sort of intervention to try to get her to quit raising cane in my church. If she was my neighbor, I'd have to build a really good fence. But she's my mom.

Don't get me wrong - she's not what I'd call a "toxic person." She's got many good qualities. But she has a really hard time respecting boundaries - ANYONE'S boundaries. She honestly seems to have no clue about them at all. She considers the boundaries of others as more of a personal challenge, something she just HAS to step over.

Quote:
Your mom seems like a dynamic, funny, (likely charismatic, at least to some degree) elegant older woman (who now unfortunately is having some significant issues). And when you describe yourself in these situations, you sound like a kid asking for permission.

But you're not.
My mother is actually not as outgoing as I am. She's not nearly as warm or affectionate. She can be, however, very artistic and elegant - you're right about that. She also often offends others, even strangers. She can be very inappropriate socially.

For instance, what she considers "speaking the truth" is often embarrassing. Back when my kids were younger, she and I took them back to school shopping. I was at one end of the kids' department and she was at the other end, of a very large store. Suddenly I hear her hollering across the many aisles, "WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T BUY THEM ANY LEVIS!" I looked at her and shrugged and said, "Why not?" to which she yelled back, "BECAUSE LEVIS SUPPORTS THOSE ***** RIGHTS." Mom. Stop.

Recently we were on a walk through her neighborhood. We came across some new neighbors. My dad introduced us all and my mom immediately pipes in with , "Yes, that's us. We're not DOCTORS AND LAWYERS like so many other people moving in here seem to be. You'll find out soon enough that I have a healthy disrespect for DOCTORS AND LAWYERS." The couple politely just gave us our names and then quickly made their exit. My dad turned around to her as soon as they left and said, "Why did you say that? What if they ARE doctors or lawyers?" to which my mother replied, "Well, if they are, now they know where I stand."

Quote:
You don't have to be the life of the party. You and your mother might have completely different personalities (not at all uncommon)..

but presumably your mother has dealt with other adults before, that did not share her flair for the dramatic..

That's how she should be treating you..
My mother has been sheltered from the natural ramifications of her actions for decades. She hasn't worked outside the home and she has very few friends.

My mother is dramatic, that's true. She's an artist at heart - she paints (or used to before her vision became so bad) and writes poetry. She has painted some very nice oil paintings over the years. She's also self published a book of poetry. (Now she tells everyone she meets - and I'm not exaggerating - EVERYONE she meets - that she is a "published poet.")

I am also artistic and I've painted large murals for schools and organizations, as well as done quite a few things like portraits and that sort of thing. But what I love to do most is interior decorating and refinishing furniture.

I've also written professionally off and on over the years - for various organizations and publications, mostly small stuff like articles or columns. I've had some work published in a book of poetry compiled by a psychiatrist as well.

I say all that to say that I don't generally bring that stuff up. It's never been my "claim to fame" or anything like that. I've enjoyed my small, personal successes in those hobbies, but I doubt that even most of my friends know that I've had poetry published or that I can paint murals. People are always very surprised in fact, if they manage to find out out (usually via my husband or my dad) and that's OK. I don't do it for money or for recognition - I do my "artsy" stuff because I like doing it. Period.

But my mother considers all of this to be competition with her. I'm not competing with her! I'm doing my own thing! The MINUTE - the MINUTE she found out that some psychiatrist I'd never met out in California had published a poem of mine in a book, she began researching self publication and published her own book of her own poems. It's not the same thing. I didn't criticize her or point this out, but dang, Mom, it's not the same thing. So now, she is constantly saying, "I'm a published poet," or "I'm an author - my work has been published." OK. Mine has too - but 1) I didn't publish it myself and 2) I don't go around telling people "I'm published." Sheeze!

One of my published poems is prose - it doesn't rhyme. It's not even one of my favorite poems but apparently it resonates with some people. My mother won't openly criticize it but what she says, EVERY TIME the topic of poetry comes up, is "Well, it's my opinion that a poem that doesn't rhyme is just lazy work. It's not a poem at all in fact. It's substandard. Nope, I don't want to hear any of those. If a poem doesn't rhyme, I'm not impressed. It's nothing but pretentious."

Quote:
When she says "there - I've created Kathryn Space, is that enough?" - I would probably have said, "Keep going old woman... you're crowding the border and Kathryn Space has a 10 ft demilitarized perimeter".. (or something equally flip and impertinent..)

Of course in my family such sort of banter wasn't unheard of, and I basically (politely) told my mom off when I was 19 and I felt she was treating me in a way I was no longer willing to accept. Our relationship was better from that point on... while I'm sure she still felt like I was a "child" - she no longer openly was dismissive of me as one.

You can't change who your mom is. You can only change how you respond to it. Your changing your behavior *might* change hers. But even if it doesn't, if your new way of responding makes it easier for you to deal with things.. then that's a win right there.

best to you and mom and mil!!
LOL I've tried all that before. I've tried calling my mom's hand. I've tried establishing boundaries. I've tried bantering with her. I've tried dishing back what she's dishing out. But we get back to my dad's admonition of "Don't tangle with someone who's prepared to be more ruthless than you are." My mother has more staying power than I do when it comes to a fight. I don't like to fight. Don't want to fight. Not about EVERYTHING. My gosh. I prefer to pick my battles. Booth space with my mom is a battle that's not worth the effort it will cost me.

When I say, "It's easier to just let her crowd the booth," I mean I've reached that conclusion because I've already joked with her about it. I've already pointed it out. I've already even physically moved her over. Several times. Many times. It just doesn't work with her, and if you get her mad enough, then she becomes more ruthless. By that I mean that if you try to establish healthy boundaries with her, she eventually gets so put out that she begins doing things that are so out there you begin to wonder why you ever thought it was all that important to begin with.

I'm not kidding you. She's a force to be reckoned with.

For the record, I too told my mom off when I was 19. Her response was to kick me out of the house completely. Her right - I was an adult. Our relationship was NOT better after that point - we were just distanced from each other. When I really got my head together in my thirties, and was finally able to establish healthy boundaries, my mother's response was visceral and incessant.

I'll give you an example: I was very interested in and studying theology very seriously. I had checked out some books from a library, on various theological topics. This was when my parents lived out of state so my mother came to my house and stayed several nights. Most days I had off but I had to go to work one day - leaving her alone with the library books on theology.

MY MOTHER WROTE IN EVERY ONE OF THOSE BOOKS - in ink - hateful, inflammatory, insulting notes, throughout all the books. Stuff like "This is b___s__t" and "Utter crap" - that sort of thing. Well, as you can imagine, I was furious. I called her and told her that she was going to have to pay for these books, - that I had looked up the prices of hardback books like these online and here was the amount of the check she'd need to send me to cover the cost of reordering the books she had defaced.

She was petulant. My dad was furious (at her). But I was adamant - and I got my check. You'd think it was over, right?

You'd be wrong.

My mother and father came to visit me several months later and this time my mother came armed with secret weapons - a pen and a sticky pad.

This time she didn't write IN the books - sometime while they were there, I don't know how or when, she managed to go through my book shelves and take out books and write the same sort of scrawled, insulting, sophomoric notes in them - but on sticky notes instead of on the actual pages.

For YEARS I was finding these wretched notes - in fact, there are probably books in my bookcase now with some of those notes in them.

Now THAT is a person with no respect for personal boundaries.

Old 11-03-2015, 07:15 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
Just a quick: "You're awesome and I enjoy your posts" "this too shall pass" and "try not to give her the power to take the joy out of your pocket"

In that order

Old 11-03-2015, 07:24 PM

22,182 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
And I'll make people listen to the soundtrack of Fiddler on the Roof over and over again.
you can be my roommate at the old folks home....I LOVE the Fiddler on the Roof soundtrack
and Dillard's is a great store
and your theology books are always welcome on the bookshelves, of course i hope you'll let me read them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving