Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 08:40 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times

Advertisements

Forgetting your car keys is not dementia. Forgetting what they are for is worrisome.
"and worry only gets you upset"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2018, 08:46 PM

3,252 posts, read 2,336,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwumpus View Post
My mom has had it since age 65 (probably earlier) and she was as healthy as they come. Lots of exercise and organic food and fancy supplements for a decade prior to diagnosis. My aunt also had it. Mom's progress has been remarkably slow.

My friend's mother, on the other hand, was diagnosed almost at the same age and declined so rapidly that she died in a nursing facility two years after diagnosis, which in hindsight was almost merciful.

If I get diagnosed I will not put my family through the horror that is this disease.

Unfortunately the brightest minds of our age are working for companies like Google spending their gifts figuring out clever ways to squeeze more money out of consumers.
Sorry, but great minds are working in all fields, especially medicine. I love google and I don't pay a dime for it. Other than that, I'm not sure what your point is.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:28 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,568,432 times
The diabetes drug Metformin is now linked to a high risk of developing Alzheimer's.

Quote:
In fact, the risk for Parkinson’s disease or Alzheimer’s dementia went up over 50 percent during a 12 year period in those who took metformin when compared to those who did not. Researchers also found that “outcome risks increased progressively with higher dosage and longer duration of treatment.”

Dr. Yi-Chun Kuan said, “We’d heard about a possible protective effect from metformin. However, we found the reverse,” and she added that large-scale, prospective studies would need to be done in other countries to get clarification of the results.

Another detail the researchers noted was that outcomes increased the longer a patient was on metformin and the higher the metformin dose they took, “especially with use for more than 300 days and doses greater than 240 g.”
link

I'm not surprised this occurred. I've been seeing medical reports leaning this way anecdotally, such as the observation that Alzheimer's diagnosis typically follows a diabetes diagnosis by 13 years and that brain atrophy is associated with vitamin B12 deficiency. A diabetes diagnosis implies that your doctor has put you on Metformin which depletes vitamin B12 levels.

The above reminds me of the stonewalling on Lipitor's effects on memory loss. The drug company finally relented and placed warnings on the drug bottles after the patent exclusivity expired. Even then, the warning claimed memory loss was not dementia and was reversible by going off the medication. Memory loss is a symptom of damage to the brain while on the drug. If you take it long enough, it's no longer reversible.

Old 01-11-2018, 01:31 PM

2,298 posts, read 1,516,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassTacksGal View Post
I have answered my own question, the average Nigerian only lives into his/her 50's.Life Expectancy in Nigeria That may explain their low rate of Alzheimers. They don't live long enough to get it.
Yes and many people will not recognise the signs of dementia in older people when it is in an earlier stage. So they will say that someone did not have dementia whereas if they had lived longer, it would have become obvious. We only recognise early signs in my mother-in-law because we are dealing with severe dementia in my mother.

Old 01-11-2018, 02:08 PM

19,206 posts, read 16,689,350 times
It's been almost three years since the OP wrote her initial comment. I wonder how she's doing now. Happy, I hope instead of obsessing about something that may or may not happen. What a sad way to live life and a waste of time; worrying about something that might never happen to her.

Old 01-18-2018, 11:01 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,925,882 times
Well getting up in yrs will slowly deteteriate the brain if it is not working mentally.

By that I meant not sitting In front of the TV all day

I am 86 and still do my own Auto repairs up infill last Dec when I broke my hip trying to kick the garage door shut ( stupid me).

A month in Rehab recovery made me smell the roses...an awakening of sorts.

Having been a business owner of 36 yes will now spend more time at my office desk.

Do have memory losses of small details which means on a 10 scale I am st a 3 level towards Alzheimer's.

Darn, where is my cell phone,?

Old 01-18-2018, 03:58 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times
My mom had it. Died 3 weeks shy of 89, NOT from anything AD related. She wasn't even in late stages.
At 57, I just can't worry about it now.
Do what I can to stay informed (causes, treatments, research, etc).
Do what I can to stay healthy.
Do what I can to have all my legal matters organized (will, POA, trust, directives, etc).
But I can't worry about it.

Old 06-02-2018, 03:18 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Taking care of YOU as many have seen and lived thru this with loved ones. We have a thread started in Alt Med and thought about you folks and want to put the latest info here:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/alter...e-dr-dale.html

I started a post some time ago about taking care of US and can't seem to find it.

Old 06-02-2018, 03:20 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,648,693 times
If you want a totally non-traditional response, pm me - I don't want to write it here because I whenever I have mentioned it before, some people become super offended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving