Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 05:59 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,949,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Yeah this whole thing doesn't make sense.

They took his money - now when they deposit it back into his checking account to pay the ALF it's gonna look like some phantom income from somewhere.
Banks definitely ask questions when money suddenly appears. I had a student loan and one day my wonderful mom went to the bank and paid it all out. A day later I had the bank and student loan people on the phone demanding to know where the money came from. The only answer I had was that if they worked for the bank, they could figure out the answer. I didn't hear from them again, but money out of thin air leads to many questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2017, 06:11 PM

4,413 posts, read 3,467,298 times
Won't the kids have to pay tax on the money they inherited? That means the money they pay BACK into Dad's account will in effect be less than what they took out unless they were able to cover the taxes.

OP hasn't explained what is really going on here but it sounds like a mess.

Old 07-01-2017, 09:12 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
This is one of the saddest posts I've ever read.

Old 07-01-2017, 09:49 PM

810 posts, read 666,913 times
why in the world did you all split the money???!! This is something you do AFTER someone dies not BEFORE

Old 07-01-2017, 09:51 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,519,039 times
I went back and read the OP's other posts. Are we being trolled?

Old 07-02-2017, 12:41 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj10 View Post
I agree with the others. This was a terrible thing to do. Your father deserves to spend whatever days he has left getting the best care possible with the money from the sale of his house. ALL of the money should have gone into one account and the facility paid for from that.
Might have even been illegal. WTH?

Old 07-02-2017, 07:15 AM

39 posts, read 31,516 times
The kids didn't steal the money!! It was my dads decision to gift it to us. We have all of it accounted for and in a separate account designated just for him. This was done with my dads attorney present.

I had contacted the VA for advice and suggestions but was told I needed to have my dad assigned to a doctor at the VA. He has his own family dr and didn't want to pursue that any further.

I do think I will look into an attorney that specializes in elder care.

Old 07-02-2017, 07:24 AM

6,883 posts, read 7,881,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappytobeinTroy View Post
The kids didn't steal the money!! It was my dads decision to gift it to us. We have all of it accounted for and in a separate account designated just for him. This was done with my dads attorney present.
I don't believe this. No attorney would be that stupid.

Old 07-02-2017, 07:42 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,335,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappytobeinTroy View Post

I had contacted the VA for advice and suggestions but was told I needed to have my dad assigned to a doctor at the VA. He has his own family dr and didn't want to pursue that any further.

I do think I will look into an attorney that specializes in elder care.
Thank you for clarifying.

The way it was written in the opening post... If you re-read it, it does sound really bad.

Old 07-02-2017, 07:47 AM

3,972 posts, read 4,252,063 times
1) " It was my dads decision to gift it to us." Then you had the world's dumbest attorney, who apparently did not lay out the consequences of doing what you did to you and your siblings. You also say it is in a "separate account designated just for him", but in your original post, you said the profit from the home sale was split-up among the siblings. Which is it?

2) Regardless, you need an eldercare attorney and you need to know that Medicaid -- which it sounds like your dad will end up on -- will look back 5 years and will trace where his money went. If they determine he is ineligible for Medicaid, they will not pay for his care and your family will either have to pay out of pocket, or move him in with one of you. If his dementia is worsening, he will not be able to stay in an ALF very long, and will require a higher level, more expensive type of care.

3) You can appeal the VA decision, but if he is just refusing to have a VA doctor, you aren't going to win that one. He needs to follow VA rules.

4) However, you can contact your local US Congressperson about the VA issue. Their staffs deal with these sorts of problems all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving