Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 08:19 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
Not true at all.

Euthanasia absolutely CAN be requested by the patient. It's not necessarily up to "someone else". The very definition of euthanasia is the painless ending of life. It can be voluntary or involuntary.

noun
1. Also called mercy killing. the act of putting to death painlessly or allowing to die, as by withholding extreme medical measures, a person or animal suffering from an incurable, especially a painful, disease or condition.

2. painless death.
Most people go by definition 1. That's why it's definition 1. If you think someone else is going by definition 1, they're probably not.

If you look at that first definition, it does not mean what you said or think it means. That first definition is all about Party A putting Party B to death.

You may provide instructions for a situation that you (as Party B) want someone (Party A) to put you to death, but it will be Party A who determines when that situation has occurred, not you. That is still someone else deciding when to kill you.

Old 08-09-2017, 08:59 PM

876 posts, read 812,623 times
Yes, "Do No Harm" is a great motto. But that's all it is, should it stand in the way of reason?

I think many doctors are afraid of killing their patients before they've had the opportunity of billing them a extra couple hundred grand.

Old 08-10-2017, 02:53 PM

306 posts, read 335,615 times
Euthanasia should be legal (no repercussions on the assistant as long as the dying individual has documented their intent). If doctors don't want to participate or shouldn't based on their oath, capitalism would assuredly allow for willing participants with the means to assist.

Old 08-10-2017, 06:41 PM

4,413 posts, read 3,467,298 times
While "Sugar" often says outrageous things for effect (see her other posting history), her attitude does bring up a salient point: What will happen to the next generation of elders?

A great deal of elder care is done (or at least overseen) by family members. This takes a lot of the burden off the "state" to care for our most vulnerable. But Americans are having fewer kids now. Many are becoming first-time parents in their 40s. Many Millennials are struggling and not in a position to reduce their working hours or have Mom or Dad move in to care for them.

Will there be family structures in place to care for the elderly? My husband and I are childless, so we are certain we won't have anyone to look after us.

Our nation has a real crisis brewing. It's going to get ugly.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:14 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,027,721 times
I hope my earlier post of a link that mentioned what lies down the slippery slope of euthanasia practices was read.

Here is another example of that; in Belgium the mentally ill can now be killed. However it is a Catholic center that was planning to do that.

Now Pope Francis stepped in and said stop:

Pope tells Belgian Brothers of Charity no more euthanasia for patients

Old 08-11-2017, 01:02 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,601,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
While "Sugar" often says outrageous things for effect (see her other posting history), her attitude does bring up a salient point: What will happen to the next generation of elders?

A great deal of elder care is done (or at least overseen) by family members. This takes a lot of the burden off the "state" to care for our most vulnerable. But Americans are having fewer kids now. Many are becoming first-time parents in their 40s. Many Millennials are struggling and not in a position to reduce their working hours or have Mom or Dad move in to care for them.

Will there be family structures in place to care for the elderly? My husband and I are childless, so we are certain we won't have anyone to look after us.

Our nation has a real crisis brewing. It's going to get ugly.
Actually I don't say "outrageous things for effect." I just post my honest thoughts. I love my cat very much and I don't think her life is worth less than any human, so if euthanasia is good enough for her, I personally don't see a problem with euthanizing humans. No one has to agree with me, but my opinion is my opinion and I'm not saying it for effect.

Old 08-11-2017, 04:39 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Good reminder here. The two are NOT the same thing. Not even close.
Exactly, euthanasia is that nasty idea that can overwhelm you in a checkout line.

Old 08-11-2017, 04:44 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Good concise article on the differences between palliative care, hospice care, physician assisted deaths/suicide, and euthanasia.

https://www.verywell.com/does-pallia...-death-1132043
Thank you for that link. It should help clear up some of the confusion.

Old 08-11-2017, 04:48 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1eutian View Post
Yes, "Do No Harm" is a great motto. But that's all it is, should it stand in the way of reason?

I think many doctors are afraid of killing their patients before they've had the opportunity of billing them a extra couple hundred grand.
Youre a real snarky ray of sunshine, arent you?

Old 08-11-2017, 06:57 AM

1,834 posts, read 2,694,042 times
It is all about money! Over the last 10 years I have lost several family members and therefore had access to details of this segment of our culture. I have also spent some time with the dying. I can truly say it is all about money, from the first office visit to the last shovel of dirt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving