Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2013, 10:29 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,068,816 times

Advertisements

So, a couple of former volunteers are mad that healthy animals are being put to sleep. They are picketing outside the Mesa Maricopa Animal Care and Control shelter saying Dr. Rodrigo needs to go. I say,as a former volunteer there, that if you want to take all those cats and dogs home with you, go ahead. The shelters are full. They are always full. It is sad, but what is the choice? The county has a responsible program to take in stray and unwanted animals so what else can they do? They need to feed, spay or neuter, and care for each animal in their care. Its an overwhelming responsibility. There isn't enough $. Got a better idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 10:49 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,652,870 times
Mandatory spay and neuter is the only answer and even then, good luck having it enforced. They should be picketing outside of all the backyard breeders instead.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:07 PM

1,112 posts, read 4,000,533 times
The people at the county do the best they can with the resources they have, which sadly isn't very much. It is sad, but there's not much else to be done. I feel for the animals, and the folks who have to do it. No need for picketing, there really isn't another feasible option.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:53 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,694,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyW View Post
The people at the county do the best they can with the resources they have, which sadly isn't very much. It is sad, but there's not much else to be done. I feel for the animals, and the folks who have to do it. No need for picketing, there really isn't another feasible option.
Actually, there is something that can be done.. many cities in the valley contribute animals, but not $$ to the shelter.

"
If you see a stray dog in your neighborhood and do not have him in your control, please call (602) 506-PETS(7387) so our Animal Control Officers can come out and look for the dog. If you have found a stray in Peoria, Surprise, El Mirage, Youngtown, Avondale, Mesa, Buckeye, or Wickenburg, please call your local police department.*"

I found a stray in Youngtown a couple years back.. animal control wouldnt pick him up, and the PD *told* me to take the dog to the county shelter.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:52 AM

568 posts, read 1,206,876 times
In my neighborhood (Coronado Historic District), we've been dealing with this issue for a while, but I think we're making some progress:

Coronado has it's own Facebook page in which people are posting pics of strays- several of these have been re-united with their owners. Perhaps other neighborhoods are already starting to do this but I wanted to share; I've received a wealth of knowledge regarding things happening in the neighborhood beyond anything I'd imagined- e.g. handyman recommendations, events, etc.

There's also been discussion here about a volunteer group who would fix broken fences/gates if allowed by the pet's owner. I believe there's already a capture-spay-release volunteer group as well. Sadly, I believe a lot of the problem may be people just dumping/abandoning pets...not a lot that can be done about that.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:19 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,604,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
Actually, there is something that can be done.. many cities in the valley contribute animals, but not $$ to the shelter.

"
If you see a stray dog in your neighborhood and do not have him in your control, please call (602) 506-PETS(7387) so our Animal Control Officers can come out and look for the dog. ....

You're promoting that the dogs go right back to the county shelter, which is an almost guaranteed death sentence.

Giving money to the MACC will help them cope, but parents and kids need to be educated that it's not OK to throw away an animal, they are a lifelong responsbility. (and spay/neuter!)

Old 02-18-2013, 06:12 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,694,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhureeKeeper View Post
You're promoting that the dogs go right back to the county shelter, which is an almost guaranteed death sentence.

Giving money to the MACC will help them cope, but parents and kids need to be educated that it's not OK to throw away an animal, they are a lifelong responsbility. (and spay/neuter!)

Im not promoting anything (and the stray I found, I kept!), but if the county shelter is running on a shoestring budget, and several cities arent paying anything (but are advising residents to drop strays there), then we have a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area