Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 04:52 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
It's not about what they want if they choose to make me legally responsible for them. If they make other arrangements for their own care, then that's different.
Like I said, be sure to make this very clear to them - that if you're responsible for their care, you'd like to have them euthanized.

I mean, they deserve to know this and hopefully if they disagree with your plan for their lives, they can make other plans.

Hopefully those other plans include leaving their assets to the SPCA or something along those lines.

Old 08-09-2017, 04:52 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,620,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Let us know how that conversation goes. Go on - pick up the phone, make the call, then tell us how it went. Or better yet, meet with them in person and tell them, "When you're old and need my help, I'm going to opt for euthanasia for you. Thought you might want to know that - I mean, you're OK with that, right? You wouldn't want to be a burden to me, right? So yeah - I'd rather not have you be a burden to me either so yeah, I'm going to get you euthanized. That's my plan."
Listen, you really can't guilt trip me about this at all, so stop trying. Rather than watch my parents needlessly suffer, yes I would choose to painlessly end their lives and I have no problem with them knowing that. That is my stance on this issue and it's not going to change.

Old 08-09-2017, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Listen, you really can't guilt trip me about this at all, so stop trying. Rather than watch my parents needlessly suffer, yes I would choose to painlessly end their lives and I have no problem with them knowing that. That is my stance on this issue and it's not going to change.
I'm not "trying" to guilt trip you - there's no hope for that apparently and I'm not into wasting my time. I'm just giving you my opinion. And to add to that opinion, I am so incredibly glad that my kids don't feel the same way you do about euthanasia. Because that's what we're talking about - not assisted suicide. Not a decision your parents make about their own lives. We are talking about YOU deciding (your own words by the way) that they shouldn't be a burden to you or society so you'll have them "put down." Good lord.

Put your money (or theirs) where your mouth is. Call them up or meet with them and tell them your plans for their future, and let us know how that conversation goes.

Reminder - here's what you said - your words, not mine:
Quote:
I'm an only child so my parents expect me to take care of them when they're old, but why shouldn't they be euthanized instead?
I can't even make this stuff up.

Old 08-09-2017, 04:59 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,342,231 times
Quote:
Whatever works for you. If you'd rather have your relatives sit around and watch you slowly suffer, that's fine with me.
I will be making my own choice. No one else will be doing it for me. I already have my wishes written and notarized. I have talked to my kids and they know my wishes.

No one will be making their choice on how my end of life will be.

I stand by my statement. I'm glad I'm not part of your family.

Old 08-09-2017, 05:01 PM

Quote:
I'm not "trying" to guilt trip you - there's no hope for that apparently and I'm not into wasting my time. I'm just giving you my opinion. And to add to that opinion, I am so incredibly glad that my kids don't feel the same way you do about euthanasia. Because that's what we're talking about - not assisted suicide. Not a decision your parents make about their own lives. We are talking about YOU deciding (your own words by the way) that they shouldn't be a burden to you or society so you'll have them "put down." Good lord.
They can make decisions about their own lives for as long as they're able to do so, but if and when I become legally responsible for them, I'll make the decisions that I feel are best.

Old 08-09-2017, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
I will be making my own choice. No one else will be doing it for me. I already have my wishes written and notarized. I have talked to my kids and they know my wishes.

No one will be making their choice on how my end of life will be.
Good for you.

Quote:
I stand by my statement. I'm glad I'm not part of your family.
I don't care.

Old 08-09-2017, 05:26 PM

+
Quote:
They can make decisions about their own lives for as long as they're able to do so, but if and when I become legally responsible for them, I'll make the decisions that I feel are best.
And I'll repeat - don't you think you owe it to your parents to have this conversation with them and clarify to them that you favor euthanasia when they become old and a burden to you?

I mean, my parents made me their POA including their medical POA, but this was after long and very thorough conversations about what THEY expected of ME (not the other way around) when they were unable to care for themselves. So when the time came to make the decision about life support for my dad, I'd already had the conversation with him, and I knew HIS wishes. It was his life after all.

So have the conversation and let us know what your parents' perspective is.

Old 08-09-2017, 05:32 PM

88,617 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
I'm not aware of any doctors that assist in suicide (except for Kevorkian), so what's the point of this post?

I agree with euthanasia by the way.
My friends consulted with doctors from the Hemlock Society back in the 90s for another friend who was dying from an AIDS-related illness. They would not perform any deeds but would supply the means. I don't believe it was carried out.

Old 08-09-2017, 05:49 PM

Quote:
And I'll repeat - don't you think you owe it to your parents to have this conversation with them and clarify to them that you favor euthanasia when they become old and a burden to you?

I mean, my parents made me their POA including their medical POA, but this was after long and very thorough conversations about what THEY expected of ME (not the other way around) when they were unable to care for themselves. So when the time came to make the decision about life support for my dad, I'd already had the conversation with him, and I knew HIS wishes. It was his life after all.

So have the conversation and let us know what your parents' perspective is.
Considering that euthanasia isn't even an option right now, I don't see the urgency in having the discussion. But if it became an option and they were against it, then instead of just telling me their "wishes," they need to have an actual plan in place about what should happen when they're unable to care for themselves. Their plan shouldn't just be "Oh, you're our daughter so you'll take care of us until we die." There's no guarantee that I'll be able to do that nor would I want to watch them suffer if I could do something to end it. The truth is that it IS often a huge burden to be a caregiver and it's not a crime to admit that it is. There are caregivers wishing that the person they're taking care of would die. Many people wouldn't take on that role if there were other options.

Old 08-09-2017, 05:52 PM

28,681 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
I have no problem telling them that if and when the time comes and euthanasia is an option, that is absolutely what I would choose for them instead of watching them waste away and die slowly for months or years. They know it's what I would want for myself as well.
It would be better to tell them long before so they have time to find someone else to depend on (and leave their assets to) instead of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving