Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 06:45 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,543,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
Did you know you could apply for an Ohio ID for a shut-in using the Homebound Packet?

From an Akron Beacon article:

A few people asked about shut-ins or people who are unable to physically get to the Bureau of Motor Vehicles offices to get the ID.

BMV spokeswoman Lindsey Bohrer said customers can request a Homebound ID packet or application by calling 614-752-7600, by email to Registrar@dps.state.oh.us or by mail to Ohio BMV, Attn: In House Processing, 1970 West Broad St, Columbus, 43223. Bohrer said the phone line is often busy, but there is also new “live chat” option at State of Ohio BMV to request the packet. Here is a link to the original column.
After filling out the mailed packet, a customer can request a visit by a member of the BMV field staff, who will come to the customer to verify the paperwork and take the photo. Bohrer said the packet can be mailed back, but did confirm that field staff can verify the paperwork during the visit, so that would be my recommendation so you aren’t sending sensitive copies in the mail.

https://www.ohio.com/akron/business/...ds-for-seniors
That's really good information. I hope it helps the OP. For us, we can still get dad to the BMV (a bit of a process, but doable as long as we take a day from work). But good to know if something occurs for us that makes taking dad to the BMV too difficult.

Also - just a comment on some of the above about "vision tests" - the OP is asking about a STATE ID; not a driver's license. There is no vision test for a State ID. You just have to basically prove who you are (initially) and show up in person and sign for renewals. The process itself is relatively simple, as with everything at the BMV it's the waiting that's annoying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2018, 07:20 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,205,244 times
A phone call to your Republican Party headquarters and an explanation that she is a Republican voter might stir them into some sort of action to find some volunteers to come around and help her get what she needs to register to vote. Not picking on either party, but I think the Pubs are more amenable than the Dems about that. If one party won't come around, try the other one.

Old 01-22-2018, 07:03 AM

4,139 posts, read 3,044,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
Did you know you could apply for an Ohio ID for a shut-in using the Homebound Packet?

From an Akron Beacon article:

A few people asked about shut-ins or people who are unable to physically get to the Bureau of Motor Vehicles offices to get the ID.

BMV spokeswoman Lindsey Bohrer said customers can request a Homebound ID packet or application by calling 614-752-7600, by email to Registrar@dps.state.oh.us or by mail to Ohio BMV, Attn: In House Processing, 1970 West Broad St, Columbus, 43223. Bohrer said the phone line is often busy, but there is also new “live chat” option at State of Ohio BMV to request the packet. Here is a link to the original column.
After filling out the mailed packet, a customer can request a visit by a member of the BMV field staff, who will come to the customer to verify the paperwork and take the photo. Bohrer said the packet can be mailed back, but did confirm that field staff can verify the paperwork during the visit, so that would be my recommendation so you aren’t sending sensitive copies in the mail.

https://www.ohio.com/akron/business/...ds-for-seniors
Thanks so much. I sent an Email to Ohio BMV this weekend and just got a reply. They want her full name, date of birth, and either license number or Social Security number. I replied to the Email with this information.

I got the letter from the doctor. The note included with it said that I was told mom did not need an ID, but I insisted on it. I find this mildly amusing. I insisted on the ID because I only have a six month window. If I do not get the ID within the window, and down the road someone wants a current ID for her, then I am out of luck. As a former coworker used to say "Not to make a decision is to make a decision."

Old 01-28-2018, 08:26 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
Thanks so much. I sent an Email to Ohio BMV this weekend and just got a reply. They want her full name, date of birth, and either license number or Social Security number. I replied to the Email with this information.

I got the letter from the doctor. The note included with it said that I was told mom did not need an ID, but I insisted on it. I find this mildly amusing. I insisted on the ID because I only have a six month window. If I do not get the ID within the window, and down the road someone wants a current ID for her, then I am out of luck. As a former coworker used to say "Not to make a decision is to make a decision."
The doctor is only thinking of his clinic’s requirements. It is very possible in the future your mom will be needing an ID for another facility or store purchase or something else. If nothing else everyone should carry sone form of ID on them in case something happens and identification is needed.

Old 01-30-2018, 05:13 PM

1 posts, read 7,305 times
Mschultz- I wondered how your care conference went and if they were able to assist you with the ID for your mom. I am going through the same thing....just received a renewal notice for my mom's (now out of state) ID. I brought her here to Ohio but she is bedridden. Any advice you have is appreciated!!

Old 01-30-2018, 05:31 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,519,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgal View Post
Mschultz- I wondered how your care conference went and if they were able to assist you with the ID for your mom. I am going through the same thing....just received a renewal notice for my mom's (now out of state) ID. I brought her here to Ohio but she is bedridden. Any advice you have is appreciated!!
Without any real knowledge I would opin that an expired DL would be fine for buying drugs, voting, or such things. If it is needed for flying I would try to get current with a RealID. Those guys can be sticklers. I've heard sad tales of new brides being prevented from flying or going on a cruise because of a new last name screw up.

NC law says:
A new law passed last session (2014) directs the Division of Motor Vehicles to begin implementing a process that allows homebound people to get state-issued photo ID cards — all without the inconvenience of having to make a trip to the DMV. Instead, a DMV field inspector from its License and Theft Bureau will visit the person’s home and help them complete an application.

Search your state for homebound id card

Last edited by Crashj007; 01-30-2018 at 05:34 PM.. Reason: homebound

Old 01-31-2018, 08:26 AM

After I got mom to sign the documents, I found a signature card in the packet that was not mentioned in the instructions. I visited mom today and had her sign it. She was able to keep her signature within the white box, but it was close as she wrote uphill.

It is possible to get an ID card beyond 6 months after the expiration of the driver's license. It requires sending additional documents, though.

The packet included a next of kin notification, which I filled out. There was also a voter registration form, which I did not fill out. Mom has not voted for at least 4 years. I do not know how often Ohio purges its voter records, so she may still be registered. Another document included was a voluntary removal of driving privileges, which I filled out for her.

The doctor's letter is required. I also included a letter as recommended explaining that the contact phone number was mine, and that I would need to be present. All told, the envelope I sent back was a quarter inch thick, and required 2 stamps.

It was a nursing home staff member who wrote to the doctor and told him that an ID was not necessary, but that I insisted on it. The doctor's letter was short and to the point.

Old 02-13-2018, 02:49 PM

Joel from Ohio BMV called me this morning. We met in the afternoon at mom's nursing home. I brought along mom's expired license and her Social Security card, as requested. I also brought a nursing home bill with mom's current address, but it was not needed. I got to hold the blue cloth background while the ID picture was taken. He kept mom's expired license.

The ID should arrive at the nursing home in about a week. I told the staff to be on the lookout for it.

Old 02-17-2018, 12:01 PM

Mom's ID arrived today. It was mailed to me at my address instead of to the nursing home. Now I have a current ID that should last the rest of my mom's life.

Thank you everybody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving