Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 07:26 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,335,073 times

Advertisements

Your mom should totally decide this. I think she sounds awesome!! Spunky which will get her through rehab just fine! Let her do her thing. Visit often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2018, 07:59 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,562,088 times
In order to assess the situation, you have to describe what she is going to the hospital for. All you have described so far is her condition. They won't do two knee replacements at the same time. There will be a rehab stay associated with each surgery. Medicare will cover only the first 20 days of each nursing home stay, and you have to pay 20% afterwards up to the 100 day limit. There is also a limit to how long they'll cover the home rehab. They may also cut her off if she's not making progress. The best choice is to start her off in a nursing facility and then go home to rehab some more. The clock on Medicare benefits resets when you're discharged for home care.

Last edited by lchoro; 03-08-2018 at 08:10 AM..

Old 03-08-2018, 08:35 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
I agree with all of the above and remember, it's not assisted living. Assisted living means renting a very expensive apartment. She will not be renting an apartment, she will be staying somewhere to get help with rehabilitation after surgery. Apparently Medicare will pay.

Old 03-08-2018, 08:41 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Rehab facility is a smart plan.

My mother did it after her knee surgeries. She had PT twice a day and had to walk to the dining room at least three times a day, and to the Rec room whenever she wanted to play visit.

She got a lot of exercise. She always had staff available to help her. She made two new friends.

At home, she would sat in a recliner with her leg propped up a good deal of the time.

In three weeks, she was back and her feet and ready to negotiate the world again.

Worked out well.

Yes...a good plan.

Plus OP, caring for someone who is post surgery is not at all as easy as you might think...physically and mentally. She'll be around her medical staff at all times plus around others who are also recovering...

I support her choice.

Old 03-08-2018, 08:43 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
In order to assess the situation, you have to describe what she is going to the hospital for. All you have described so far is her condition. They won't do two knee replacements at the same time. There will be a rehab stay associated with each surgery. Medicare will cover only the first 20 days of each nursing home stay, and you have to pay 20% afterwards up to the 100 day limit. There is also a limit to how long they'll cover the home rehab. They may also cut her off if she's not making progress. The best choice is to start her off in a nursing facility and then go home to rehab some more. The clock on Medicare benefits resets when you're discharged for home care.
The choice to have both knees replaced at one time depends on the patient and the surgeon--
People do have both knees replaced at one time
I know someone whose husband had one knee done and had a bad job--
The surgeon was obtained through workman's comp because he was driver for FedEx and damage was related to his job--so they didn't get to choose surgeon through their health insurance w/wider choices like they would have if he had been injured by accident or been in different job category

Surgeon was mediocre --did sloppy job--and the guy overdid the rehab exercising so he contributed to the negative result
Tried for about 9 mo to live w/that surgery result but was too painful

Needed the other knee done anyway and went to different surgeon--also w/workman's comp but better choice
Did both knees at once
He listened to what he should/should not do during recovery and had better end result because both the surgeon and the patient did their jobs...

So people do have both knees done in one proceedure

Old 03-08-2018, 08:53 AM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
I would want the same thing. They have the facilities needed for such things.

You should be glad that she wants to recuperate where professionals will be on hand to assist her.

Especially having both knees done.

Old 03-08-2018, 08:59 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,572,039 times
Her plan is sensible and not at all unusual. She will be safer there with more people to help during her initial rehab. Then when she does return home, you should be able to handle her daily needs and she can continue PT at home.

Old 03-08-2018, 09:01 AM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I would want the same thing. They have the facilities needed for such things.

You should be glad that she wants to recuperate where professionals will be on hand to assist her.

Especially having both knees done.
You said what I was going to. Staff will be able to keep an eye on her recovery, make sure she's doing her therapy and evaluate her for daily living by having her "help" with chores like setting the table for dinner.

She does have a point about stairs, especially with both knees in play.

Old 03-08-2018, 09:43 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
I'm thinking maybe Mom doesn't want her son to help her get dressed and undressed, helped into the shower, etc.

My MIL had me help her but she wouldn't let DH do it.

Old 03-08-2018, 09:58 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I'm thinking maybe Mom doesn't want her son to help her get dressed and undressed, helped into the shower, etc.

My MIL had me help her but she wouldn't let DH do it.

Yes this too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving