Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2019, 02:13 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,807,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
The will was accepted as valid and I was accepted as Executrix.
What is your timeline for wrapping this up?

Old 03-09-2019, 03:56 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,559,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Your brother is an attorney and he doesn't realize that Medicaid can't take his house while he is still living?
He does.

Old 03-09-2019, 03:58 AM

Quote:
What is your timeline for wrapping this up?
There are processes that are done. Moving right along, thanks.

Old 03-09-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
He does.
If he does realize that Medicaid is legally unable to take his house while he is still living, what's the deal with putting a house in Bob's name to protect it from Medicaid?

Is this to make sure Bob gets the house eventually?

Old 03-09-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
There are processes that are done. Moving right along, thanks.
So now your mother's will has been verified and you are legally able to resolve this matter, what is your timeline?

From an earlier post, it appears that you have wisely decided that co-owning the house is not in your best interest. Since your brother wants to get his share of the inheritance/house in cash, it would seem that getting the house on the market is one of the first steps.

Mortgage rates going up. Housing market is cooling down in a many areas. Spring is often the best time to sell a house. So you may want to get moving on that.

Which, of course, means that your brother needs to secure other lodging.

Since the decision has been made that your brother is capable of handling his own affairs, this would be good practice.

Unless, of course, you have reasons to drag this out several more years.

Old 03-09-2019, 02:21 PM

Quote:
If he does realize that Medicaid is legally unable to take his house while he is still living, what's the deal with putting a house in Bob's name to protect it from Medicaid?

Is this to make sure Bob gets the house eventually?
I guess so. IDK but today is funny. 'I want to sell now' he says. 'I have a buyer for 80K'.

I offered 40K. And then 50K. Silence. My good friend is a realtor and my Aunt was a realtor. They know what the house is worth. So does he. He's at it again.

In a hot market it doesn't have to be in good condition. My friend and I look at photos all the time and go OMG at the condition and the final sale price. It goes up everyday. It has gone up over 10K in the past 30 days.

He's not taking my offer, so I call shenanigans.

Anyway, to your point, he can inherit. He can sell, he can buy, he can rent, he can gamble in the stock market, he can spend on international dating services, the only thing he cannot do is TRANSFER ASSETS to someone else for 5 years. Whatever plans he has are stupid or lies. Any money to BOB unless documented carefully for caregiving or something else of proper value puts him in a position for NO care at all down the road.

I have to let this roll off my back. I will block messages if I have to to have a weekend off.

Old 03-09-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
So now your mother's will has been verified and you are legally able to resolve this matter, what is your timeline?

From an earlier post, it appears that you have wisely decided that co-owning the house is not in your best interest. Since your brother wants to get his share of the inheritance/house in cash, it would seem that getting the house on the market is one of the first steps.

Mortgage rates going up. Housing market is cooling down in a many areas. Spring is often the best time to sell a house. So you may want to get moving on that.

Which, of course, means that your brother needs to secure other lodging.

Since the decision has been made that your brother is capable of handling his own affairs, this would be good practice.

Unless, of course, you have reasons to drag this out several more years.
Oh I see. You're here to criticize. I guess I will just let the thread die if that is all that is being offered. I am not trying to drag anything out beyond the legal things that must be done that do not happen after only 4 business days. That is how long it's been. 4 business days. There are laws and procedures that must be followed.

Old 03-09-2019, 02:29 PM

130,222 posts, read 12,093,129 times
Quote:
I guess so. IDK but today is funny. 'I want to sell now' he says. 'I have a buyer for 80K'.

I offered 40K. And then 50K. Silence. My good friend is a realtor and my Aunt was a realtor. They know what the house is worth. So does he. He's at it again.

In a hot market it doesn't have to be in good condition. My friend and I look at photos all the time and go OMG at the condition and the final sale price. It goes up everyday. It has gone up over 10K in the past 30 days.

He's not taking my offer, so I call shenanigans.

Anyway, to your point, he can inherit. He can sell, he can buy, he can rent, he can gamble in the stock market, he can spend on international dating services, the only thing he cannot do is TRANSFER ASSETS to someone else for 5 years. Whatever plans he has are stupid or lies. Any money to BOB unless documented carefully for caregiving or something else of proper value puts him in a position for NO care at all down the road.

I have to let this roll off my back. I will block messages if I have to to have a weekend off.
I sincerely hope that you will get a quick sale at a reasonable price. Your bro is crazy, but you have to let him
do his thing.

Old 03-09-2019, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I sincerely hope that you will get a quick sale at a reasonable price. Your bro is crazy, but you have to let him
do his thing.
I do indeed. Thanks.

Old 03-09-2019, 03:31 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,529,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
A 1031 exchange is not possible for a personal residence.

They have not owned it as their personal residence. It actually could be considered a newly acquired investment property. My suggestion was more about protecting brother by trabsferring his name as owner to another property.

I imagine next Bob will come up with a buyer who will want jencam & co to carry the paper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving